Does car paint work?

I have a duncan Roadrunner that is just about two weeks old and I have dropped and dinged it way too many times. Does car paint work to fix it?

2 Likes

Just identify it as your official ‘Beater’ and throw it that way. It’s an inexpensive yoyo and why waste time?

If you did that in a few weeks, you are not done smacking/dropping it, yet. Trust me…

Spend your time more effectively by using your repair time to practice a few tricks.

15 Likes

I was wondering “hmmmmm, car paint, that would be nice”

and then… “Danm, I should practice more”
:smiling_face:

3 Likes

I dont know if car paint will work but I would leave it alone since you might mess it up again

2 Likes

I don’t think even a perfect paint job would fix those gouges. The Roadrunner was my most expensive yoyo for a while and I was really bummed when I smacked it on the imitation wood floor a few times. Then I rubbed it with a cloth and it turned out that the floor material was on the yoyo and just came right off. Too bad I didn’t think of dinging when was totally new and used my 44rpm Blues outside on concrete. Those are scratches. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

first you need to write the yoyo a formal, heartfelt apology letter. only then can you hope to win back its trust.

2 Likes

Thanks!

To answer your question: Yes car paint will work on yoyos. It will just mask the gouge and not really fill it in. You could sand the roughness out and build up the paint but it’d be pretty time consuming. I’ve done touch ups like this and they turn out alright. Nail polish will work too, you can brush it in and build up layers, wet sand and polish, etc… If you’re up for the work you can hide the blemishes well. If you don’t want bare metal showing, a little touch up won’t hurt anything.

2 Likes

Dinging it was probably good for you. Now you will play it to its full potential and not worry about it anymore. That means you can literally play with it and enjoy it anywhere, worry free :slight_smile:

1 Like

^This! The first scuff on my $16 Replay Pro was saddening but liberating. Use fine-grit (600 or greater) sandpaper with water to “wet sand” any roughness out and play on!

Car paint will work but will look shabby when it gets scuffed up. Right now it just looks like a loved yoyo.

Nail polish is what I would recommend if you really want to touch it up, it’s an extremely tough finish and can be removed later if you don’t like it. I’ve used nail polish on everything from cars to paintball guns and it really holds up. (Makes an excellent threadlocker too!)

Ivan

1 Like