Does anyone want to revive yoyojam with me?

I’m happy to know he’s fine … years ago I knew he had health problems … I hope it’s all gone.

5 Likes

You have the spirit and energy. Start a new company at take in your direction.

3 Likes

There’s a new speeder that just got released and iyoyo released a night moves this year as well.

2 Likes

I think that if you’re really passionate about this you should proceed using your own means.

You already have the concepts and theme of what kind of brand you want to build. Maybe most importantly you have a large amount of buyers who are in the same mindset as you are, a deep love and admiration towards Yoyojam.

Take what you love about Yoyojam, apply your own artistic twist to it, then create a yoyo that YOU think is pushing innovation.

I’m not Dale so I can’t speak to it, but for me the saying; “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery” holds true. I think that you can respectfully and tastefully create something that’s inspired by YoYoJam without tarnishing their name, stealing from them, or using their success to benefit yourself.

The best example of this is atdesigntokyo. His instagram is littered with great posts showing halfcuts of his favorite throws, then his designs inspired by those halfcuts. Then he shows the YYJ Hitman rim design, then his own rim design on his yoyo, and the same for the Peak spike hub. No one seems to have an issue with what he’s doing. Because he’s not directly copying anything, but he’s showing you exactly where he’s taking his inspiration from to mesh all of his favorite things into one throw and applying his own artistic twist into it.

5 Likes

that’s right, but then I don’t understand, there is little consistency in Dale Bell’s answer … he doesn’t want there to be a rebirth of his brand and its models. and this is more than legitimate but he is doing it anyway, and for years, with other producers … what is it that escapes me???

1 Like

I think it’s that he doesn’t want to bring yoyojam back but is more than happy to have others do spiritual successors.

4 Likes

What I enjoyed the most about them were the plethora of plastics they put out that were straight polycarbonate. They were extremely durable and had some really great designs. When missed to have flowing silicone, they just felt great.

To see someone revitalize those old designs with modern guts would be awesome.

If I had created those designs though, I could understand not wanting to give the rights out to have them branded yoyojam.

Without knowing if the creator would be okay with copycats being made of his classic designs with modern guts, I’d be very hesitant to proceed without his blessing.

If said blessing to use his designs, update them and sell them under a new brand could not be obtained, I’d come up with some cool designs that aren’t the same, but like someone above me said, take inspiration from them.

On another note, I wonder if yoyofactory ever tried buying the rights to yoyojam? I imagine we’d have seen some interesting stuff if they merged.

4 Likes

I would love to see the yoyojam classic come back. I thought it was the best value beginners throw you could get.

I think throws like the kickside would be great.

3 Likes

speeders, big ben’s sunset trajectory NXG’s, BIG YO’S.
Great throws.
Oh man someone needs to make a YUUGE polypropylene 4a yoyo again, I remember tossing that thing for dozens of meters at chiphol airport with another yoyo-er.

2 Likes

IIRC a lot of them were actually injection molded Celcon, which is POM (aka Delrin). But I’m sure they did some polycarbonate throws as well; maybe the clear Journey was polycarbonate?

1 Like

This!, the POM molded plastics were the shiz imho, the lynn fury was bomb proof, well weighted(not all on the rim) and cheap!
YYJ always liked using good plastics thats why they used Celcon(pom) and at a certain point ‘‘upgraded’’ their polycarbonate to a type called “triton”

2 Likes

I am not sure I see the value in using the YoyoJam name or property. While YoyoJam was one of the most influential companies of all time; that time has passed. Any new contributions you might bring to the table belong in a new story altogether. Blaze your own path.

7 Likes

Definitely meant to say POM. Is anybody using that ■■■■ these days?

2 Likes

I do agree with some extent, but I really do miss that big yo 2, what a fun throw

2 Likes

IIRC the Thesis Serenade and Da Capo are both made from POM. There was also the POM/stainless Draupnir, and I think Top Yo has released a POM Mojo (though limited). But you’re right that polycarbonate definitely seems to be the go to these days.

3 Likes

In addition to what @Isaac mentioned:

TopYo Cloud
YoYoPalace Sphere
Several 4A throws (MYY T1 Captain, Duncan Pandamonium, YYR Supercell React, etc)
Doc Pop Bolt 2 (and the upcoming Bolt revisit)
Play Excess DeVal
RCS Sk8r
RCS Pop Art
YoYoFriends Dove
Zeekio Flare / Flare Ultra

3 Likes

Slash and ix as well come to mind

4 Likes

The majority of YYJ yoyos were polycarbonate.

2 Likes

mowl also just released a polycarb/POM hybrid, and Freshly Dirty machines POM rims for the Mod44. Even though they’ve already been mentioned, I gotta say that the TopYo Cloud and RCS C-bearing Sk8r really impressed me. I don’t remember having similar feelings about my Lyn Fury (although it may have had something to do with the “satin” I gave it with 80 grit sandpaper, lol). I really love the way machined POM feels.

4 Likes

huh, i guess the Kickside/Lyn Fury/Speedmaker made me assume that most were.

2 Likes