Does anyone here not do Halloween?

We’re mostly just curling up on the couch and watching Halloween movies. This weekend we watched Little Shop Of Horrors, Beetlejuice, and Hocus Pocus.

I’m pretty sure this is what my Jewish, Buddhist, and secular friends did, too. Not even sure if my Wiccan friends really did anything much different than that. I think dressing up, hanging out, and working on your cavities is pretty universal despite your religion.

7 Likes

I think it’s fair to say that in modern day America Halloween has nothing to do with religion.

5 Likes

You don’t live in my neck of the woods then. Aside from the typical trick or treating here, there are local covens of practicing witches and warlocks, legitimate lucifarians, and all kinds of bizarre new age cults. Halloween is their Christmas.

They advertise this stuff (like, actual fliers) at the local health food stores, at the farmers markets, skate shop and medical cannabis shops.

I live in a pagan society.

5 Likes

Yep. The pagans definitely see it as a significant event.

3 Likes

Out here in Southern California; the Animal Shelters will not adopt out any black cats for a few weeks before and a week or so after.

The underworld/cult types; like to do bad things to black cats around here.

… Actually I think I accidentally started a money generating clothing business; selling Halloween costumes.

I had this enterprising idea to buy up a ton of Halloween costumes and sell them to my friends at a good profit.

‘Well; things went south; when I found that none of my friends was interested one bit in buying a costume from me.

Right… at the edge of goin outta business; I had a Brainstorm plan🙀

I came to the conclusion that All of my friends are actually a whole lot Uglier than any costume I had🤔.

So… I had the perfect win/win solution.

I got right on the phone and called every single friend and told them the Master plan.

Just go do Halloween as your Ugly self. Buy my costumes which are only about half as ugly as you. And start wearing them to work the next day.

Then; with your New good looks; your friends will have trouble figuring out whether you got a facelift or joined a Health Club.

I love stories with happy endings…

3 Likes

This just made me realize why my transplant salvi friends can already celebrate the holidays here like they grew up with it too haha. :grinning::jack_o_lantern::christmas_tree::tada:

3 Likes

:flushed: Stay safe out there @smileypants707!!!

We went to a arts and crafts show a couple weeks ago and there was a booth sponsored by the “Athens Area Pagans”. They were selling pentagram necklaces and stick on horns for kids! :pensive:

2 Likes

Jeepers!!

3 Likes

Thank you for giving me an idea to help all my ugly northeast friends :):rofl:

2 Likes

Oh cool. It’s just all in good innocent fun.

Lord have mercy :roll_eyes::pensive:

2 Likes

Paganism is just a term given to a broad range of religions which the Christians felt to be inferior, either because they worshipped too many gods or not the right god (even though they all existed long before Christianity). It’s not one specific thing to point a finger at, but that doesn’t really matter.

I was raised Christian and celebrated Halloween all through my childhood, it is harmless fun that has nothing to do with any modern religion. If anything it’s a community building experience: go out, meet your neighbors, eat some candy… Just go eat candy for a night everyone.

13 Likes

So who’s deleting posts in here?

I don’t care when posts get deleted, but it’d be nice to at least have a place holder “This post was deleted because…” That’s how every forum I go to operates.

3 Likes

Yeah, the actual word “pagan” is latin. The Jews had a word that they used the same way “amha’arets”, which simply meant “People of the Land”, but was used in a religious sense as well, much the same way as pagan was used later on. So the idea of “Paganism” was prior to the Christians, they just didn’t have that exact word that is used today.

2 Likes

I deleted posts @AaronW that I felt were leaning away from discussing Halloween and leaning toward discussing religion. Yours just happened to be a reply to one of those posts.

6 Likes

I think whoever is doing it is just trying to keep this conversation from getting too religion heavy…as per the forum FAQs:

–edit–
this…

4 Likes

Ha! Salvadoreans are extremely adaptable lol! For both good and bad things unfortunately lmao.

1 Like

VERY true!!

1 Like

Makes sense.

How about we change the conversation a little.

How about what yoyo you would like to bring during a Halloween event (either during trick or treating in the neighborhood, hanging out with families and friends, etc)

I plan to bring a couple of LED-enabled Loop 2020s during trick or treating night for my kids. It’s a big hit with the other children in the neighborhood, and even gets them curious of getting into yoyoing!

2 Likes

No worries, I figured that’s what it was, but then I saw some others that were still up, so was a little confused. I’ve seen other threads with posts deleted and it made those threads confusing. Just a suggestion, if it’s possible here, to add a comment like “Mod deleted comment, because…”

Just a thought :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My kid is allergic to dairy, soy, eggs and gluten. And sugar makes him bloat up like a balloon. I don’t think there is a single good reason for him to participate in trick or treating.

I can’t deny that this is partially true, but again, folks in my neck of the woods are in to all kinds of non Christian religions and spiritual practices. Just because you don’t take Halloween seriously doesn’t mean others don’t.

3 Likes