Does anyone here not do Halloween?

Are there any others out there who don’t celebrate it at all?

7 Likes

I used to not but when I was about 9 I started doing. im a Christian so we only dress up and trick or treat

5 Likes

i don’t trick or treat i’m also a Christian but we only dress up and hand out candy and hang with our cousins lol

6 Likes

My youngest is near the end of her trick or treating years, but, we enjoy having the neighbors bring their kids around for candy.

5 Likes

I only dressed up and went trick or treating once or twice as a kid.

I’m in college now tho and we celebrate Halloween a different way :crazy_face:

11 Likes

We aren’t doing it this year. However, we do hand out candy. We will go out and get our kids a bag of candy the day after, when it’s half off!

5 Likes

dressing up and trick or treating is literally all there is to celebrating halloween in the US. so I’m super confused by you qualifying your statement here.

13 Likes

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.

Nobody is out here making blood sacrifices.

12 Likes

Halloween is life.

5 Likes

its the way we dress up and act that sets us apart

4 Likes

its mainly a time to hang out with my friends

3 Likes

I don’t at all.

3 Likes

You know, it’s pretty weird/funny to me. Living in a Latin American country, almost 100% of all the media entertainment material you get to see (tv shows, movies, etc) since you’re a little child is stuff from the USA. Thanksgiving, the American conception of Christmas and Halloween are things that everyone knows what it is but we perceive them as isolated, hermetic events that look like so much fun but you know are things only supposedly happen there.

Halloween is not even a holiday here. We celebrate a thing called “Dia de los Fieles Difuntos” (i think is the thing you guys over there would call All Soul’s Day i think) which is in the same vein of Dia de los Muertos in Mexico. It’s a higly religious (catholic) holiday, so everyone is free to participate or not, but since is a national free day for everyone (so you can have time to go to a cementery and conmemorate the members of your family that have died), everyone seems to enjoy it anyway.

11 Likes

I vaguely remember dressing up for a church’s cotume party/fall festival event maybe fourteen years ago (I’m eighteen now), but my family and I (we’re Christians too!) have never celebrated Halloween.

And interesting observation @EOS44! I always find other people’s opinion of the USA’s culture interesting and insightful. I went to Japan for two weeks over the summer, and I learned a lot about the US because of the differences between the Japanese and American cultures.

6 Likes

I’m too boring and lazy to do anything for halloween.

3 Likes

Modern Halloween is a direct descendant of and firmly rooted in Christian practices so I’m super perplexed by the comments about not celebrating because christian.

I do celebrate Halloween when the chance arises; roughly once a year and typically on the 31st of October. :jack_o_lantern: :bat: :skull: :zombie: :candy:

7 Likes

Uhh… Halloween comes from pagan religions predating Christianity.

I see your point on the Christian influence, but the pagan influences are as evident as those of Christmas.

3 Likes

I have never celebrated Halloween. No problem with giving candy to kids who come, but my family has never celebrated it personally.

2 Likes

Not a fan.
Have severe anxiety, and masks certainly do not help… lol

3 Likes

Present. Also for religious reasons. I don’t celebrate any of the main holidays. They’re all so hollow to me.

No qualms with what other people choose to celebrate though

4 Likes