Does anyone else's index finger hurt from throwing 5A?

Everytime you throw a yoyo with a counterweight the string drapes over your index finger. When I yoyo for an extended period of time the skin on my index finger hurts. To prevent this I only do 5A when I put something over my index finger to cover it. Does anyone else’s skin hurt from 5A?

3 Likes

Yes! Right in the joint. I always hold out my index finger to stabilize the string when I throw it and you can really feel it on a hard throw. It’s a really hard habit to break.

That’s where my only yoyo callus is, for the same reason. I just dealt with it until the skin in that spot just hardened and stopped cracking/bleeding.

1 Like

Yes. Sometimes I use 2a yoyo tape for 5a

1 Like

One thing I have noticed over the years is that the string I use can have a significant impact on ‘just how much of a beating my index finger may take.

Certain formulas almost act like sawblades as they slide over the finger.

….And, if the humidity is up or your hand is just sweaty for whatever reason, the friction can mess the skin up pretty fast.

On those days when you’re powered up and you are throwing fast and hard, the yo-yo string tends to stay really tight and can increase chopping at your finger(as opposed to throwing at a more casual pace, where the string isn’t as tight as a guitar string as it rubs against the skin.

I have noticed that ‘tighter wound string’ can be more abrasive than softer wound recipes.

Years ago,there was a string called Ham String. That stuff was sooooo tight, you could cut wood with it. Chaos had a few formulas that could be used for Self Defense.

Also, some people just have thicker/thinner skin than others. If you happen to have thinner skin and you also happen to throw in more humid climates, your finger will take more of a beating than somebody from California with Lumberjack hands, lol. That is just the way it is…

I mainly throw 2A and I almost always wrap my middle fingers. Advanced players, for years, have shown me their amazing calloused joints, just like some guitar players have caps of callous on their finger tips.

I don’t play that. I remember for years, I had these knots of skin buildup right below my kneecaps from Surfing. They called them knobbies. Anytime I wore board shorts, I didn’t have to tell a soul I surfed a lot, lol. The knees would say it all.

I remember years ago, when I used to go to Nats every year, if we got on the subject of hand/skin damage, the first thing people would say is, ‘Hey, where’s Augie’. Augie Fashs’ hands looked like he juggled with barb wire. If Augie reads this post, he will tell you I’m not even close to kidding.
His hours of aggressive play would give his hands a beating.

Bottom line is simple. If you have the time and inclination to build up some skin on your index finger…… fine, do it.

If you cannot or are not the type that wants to beat your finger(s) up, than find a string that is more skin friendly….or, tape your finger so you can practice more and hurt less.

7 Likes

I agree with this. My hands get beat up especially when dried out like in winter they start cracking and splitting.

Boutique string with nylon has helped a bit. Also using lotion and generally taking care of my hands properly

Ha! Even during my ten year break from yoyo, the callus’s on my index finger from 5A never fully healed. It would crack and bleed and the string would nestle it’s way into the cracks. It’s scar tissue now. But never bothers me anymore. It’s 5A armor at this point.

5A is the hardest on my fingers and I tend to get small but very painful cracks and cuts on my index fingers. I use hand lotion and keep my hands out of the cold with gloves and coat pockets. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure.

1 Like