Does 5A stop being painful?

Does 5A ever stop being painful, or is that part of why it’s less popular? :joy: Guess it doesn’t have a trick called “bee sting” for nothing.

3 Likes

as you get better at catching the counterweight, and better with your control it does become less painful.

2 Likes

You can cut your pain in half in 60 seconds.

The next time, right before you start your 5a session, Put on a motorcycle helmet and a pair of welding gloves.

Easy Peezy

7 Likes

Get a Gummy Weight or a counterweight from Fairly Crystal Labs!

1 Like

Soft counterweights help more with noise than pain imo. As you learn harder and harder tricks you’re going to constantly hit yourself in new and interesting ways. You can still take a wallop from a soft counterweight, and hitting yourself with the yoyo can absolutely happen.

In my experience 5A gets more painful the harder you try to push your tricks.

And Quoc Anh’s hands definitely confirm that to me lol

13 Likes

I made a rubber one myself that definitely helps a little, but not as much as I’d hoped lol. Maybe I just need to get good.

if rubber rims on a yoyo taught me anything its that rubber hurts more being hit by than plastic…

True, but a counterweight isn’t spinning, so the friction won’t burn or pull at the skin the same way.

This looks like a picture of a dead persons hand.

Postmortem.

3 Likes

10 points to everyone who remembers this one

3 Likes

Nope. Worth it imo

I took martial arts for years. We did some pretty rough hand conditioning (punching 4x4 posts covered in rope, gouging a bowl full of gravel repeatedly, and knuckle pushups on concrete to name a few). Also did Ninja Warrior which involves a lot of climbing (i.e. skin tearing). My hand still never looked anywhere near that unhealthy.

6 Likes

No. It doesn’t. Each new trick is also a new way for something to go wrong and smack you in a new spot. Once you have a high level of control and you’re just flowin’ through the motions you can easily have long, pain free, relaxing session. Of course, a high RPM snag that sends a violently orbiting CW straight towards your face or near by breakable object can and will happen in the blink of an eye. At any time. 'Even more so when you’re pushing newer harder tricks like said above.

But hey, a really tight slip knot on your finger also hurts after a while.

3 Likes

IME getting rubber ball counterweights definitely helped lessen the pain vs dice. They can still hurt, but for me it was a lot less pain than the dice I had been using and made me want to play more. Worth a shot, they were like 3 for 5$ iirc

I’m still doing ninja warrior. My class is pretty hard and my hands get pretty beat up afterwards.

1 Like

The harder your knuckles are the less chance you’ll be in pain lolol. But seriously it does gradually start getting better as you get better. It’s inevitable you’ll still accidentally end up whacking yourself with a counterweight or even the yoyo but with experience comes knowledge and skill to avoid things.

P.s. Having hard knuckles actually does help :wink: