Doc Pop's The Thing

I ordered one of Doc Pop’s The Thing, I like responsive throws. I started looking for more info and found the version 2 on Toybania’s sight, this got me thinking which version Doc is selling? I don’t see any info on the version 1. Also what are the differences?

Thanks

3 Likes

Doc pops version is the first release but with a Titanium hub instead of aluminum.

6 Likes

I asked him about that, and he said there are some differences, but it is not exactly like v1 or v2, so it might be considered v3. Sort of it’s own thing. It looks to me like the thickness of the rims is lessened from v2. That and a titanium hub.

6 Likes

Thanks for the information, that’s what I was thinking.

Howard

2 Likes

@DocPop what grease would you recommend to get it back to the response it was set up with? Mine’s getting a little un-responsive.

1 Like

he usually mentions using traxxas silicone grease if I’m not mistaken. its good stuff.

5 Likes

It’s the traxxas 1647 silicone grease. Usually a couple dollars. Might find it at a hobby shop that sells a lot of high end RC cars, and it’s on amazon too.

5 Likes

Any silicone grease will do, i used a small tube from hole depot

1 Like

I use this one.

6 Likes

Thsts what I used when I used grease as well. Works great and easy to load thanks to the nozzle

1 Like

I’ve still got a full tube of brain lube. Works great on my knives also has Teflon….

2 Likes

Hey, sorry I’m late here, but it sounds like all the questions have been answered. If not, let me know.

To recap, the Doc Pop edition Thing is most similar to the V1 Thing, but with titanium hubs (instead of aluminum). The grease I personally use is Traxxas 1647 silicone grease. Thick grease works best for this style, avoid using oil for response.

12 Likes

Ohh I’m happy this all came up I’ve been meaning to start a thread asking about what grease y’all use.

3 Likes

Thanks Doc for dropping in and confirming what everyone else has said. Love The Thing.

2 Likes

Right on! I’m a fan of The Thing too and was really honored to do this Doc Pop X Toybania collab. Shout out to Vivek from Toybania for making such a rad yo-yo.

9 Likes

I have SO MUCH BRAIN LUBE if anybody needs some hmu…

13 Likes

Wow that’s enough to last several life times. All I got in hand right now is half a thing of yyf thick lube. No idea if the two are similar. Then again I’ve been known to use whatever I got in hand for my responsive yo-yos like sewing machine oil I “borrow” from the wife or some 3 in one if I’m desperate.

3 Likes

I second using this stuff. I think another Home Depot run is in order soon though. Tip broke on my tube…but this stuff works great!

3 Likes

Still have my OG tube. But Thanks!!

2 Likes

This stuff is great for modern responsive too. It doesn’t last quite as long in the bearing as silicone grease does, but it’ll do the trick.

Are you looking to sell that box? If so, how much?

6 Likes