Do you wash your strings?

If so I’m curious about your techniques and results:
http://www.sniffy-yo.com/2011/12/do-you-wash-your-strings_16.html

Lol what? This is a new one. Well at least for me. So I’ll have to say no I don’t, might throw some used strings in the wash next time, this has got me kinda curious lol

:slight_smile: yes, I’ve seen it mentioned quite a bit.
I decided to try it (ran them through washer and dryer) and found it does actually bring certain types of string back, they regain bounce and friction, though I’ve found it doesn’t last as long as in the case of a new string.

I usually just wash mine with soap and water.

I wash mine by putting them in my pants pocket and having them go through the wash. Come out with another week of regular play for me.

I do the exact same.

Is this only for certain types of strings or can you do it for all types of materials?

…because I’m in desperate need of string right now. I’m waiting for my string in the mail and I’ve been using some pretty horrible, old string for about a week. I like…don’t even wanna throw because my string just irritates me that much. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve only done it with poly. done it with toxics and chaos through the machine with nice results.

Probably only good for 100% poly. Slick 6/8 which is 50/50 cotton/poly maybe. Definitely don’t do this if you use 100% cotton string - breaks really easily.

I’ve try it, but dont really like the result.

Let it dry at room tempature. It brings far better results.

I only wash mine when I forget to take one out of my pocket. Gets thrown in the wash. Now I will say that after it is wash and dried I tend to immediately chunk it in the trash.

Thought I’d add a little note. So far the toxics seem to spring back like new after a wash/dry cycle.
Particularly the markmonts, they really regain their elasticity.

I would expect that considering Mark washes his strings. He said, and I quote, “Yeah I only go through about 15 strings a year haha.”

Everyone standing around him was just, O_O

same here

You can fill a bowl full of water, and put roughly 1/4 of a cup of bleach, it whitens them, and cleans.

dragon from toxic strings play splendid after some cleaning. rocking the same string on my DANG for the past two months so far.

Agreed. They are the best post-wash result I’ve had so far.
Not sure if bleach might effect them.
I’d be curious to know if there’s been any noticeable difference.

I washed and dried some poly/nylon. The nylon doesn’t survive the dryer well.

Sniffy-Yo.com
@Sniffyo on twitter