Do you need help choosing a yoyo? Come Here

you know the sticky curse though, right?

Never heard of it.

No one reads stickies.

Oh. Well when I started yoyoing I read every single sticky on both these boards and YYN. But true, now I never check them.

thats sad cause if this was a stickie it would be useful for everyone but no one would read it

the curse basically is that once it’s stickied, people will ignore it. but most of the time, the curse doesn’t work. such as this http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,15340.0.html or this http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,16.0.html

yeah those haven’t really stopped have they well i hope the stickie curse doesn’t happen to this if it does get stickied

Add the C3 Capless.

The Lyn Fury only comes with one bearing. A rather ordinary non-stainless steel regular C bearing. It really needs the O-ring response replaced with silicone to make it completely unresponsive.

Also the Legacy II should be in the $20 to $40 category.

everythings fixed

I’ve been asked to chime in on this, which I’ve been avoiding since all I have to say on this is negative and I wanted to avoid that.

Here we go:

I found this document essentially useless unless you’re a noob who is shopping by dollars. While budget is important, there’s more to the purchase than just “yoyos in a price range”.

As many have already pointed out, massive gaps in models. This is no doubt a difficult task and is difficult to stay current. I’m trying to database specs on yoyos, and I’m at like 260 different models and I envision another 250 or more different models that are currently on the market, not t mention all the older stuff that’s either discontinued, abandoned, no longer exists or barely supported and the stuff I’m not currently documenting because it’s too darn hard to get the information I am after. Who knows how large this database will be. But, it will help serve as an aid to buyers, but it’s mostly a convenient place to stop by to get specs and maintenance support information. My database will track brand, model, specs(standard and metric), bearing, response, surface finish, axle tech and a few other things. Is my document a comparable or competitive effort? No. it’s just intended to be resources. What one does with it from there is up to them. I’m also not going to play politics on my database. If it’s a yoyo, I want to document it so I can share back the information.

A buyers guide is difficult in the yoyo world. Preferences play so big of a part of choosing a yoyo. Even new people are quickly overwhelmed, even when they deliberately place restrictions on things, such as what they want to spend.

Yoyos come in different shapes/profiles, sizes(diameter and width), weights, features, materials and more. Reviewers are adding their own opinion into the mix, which is impossible to avoid and can be confusing.

Ideally, the method we’ve been using is far from perfect. Someone asks a question, people supply their opinions. What ends up happening is the person asking eventually gets backed into a corner(sometimes quickly) and is forced to provide additional information to help guide better targeted answers.

Let’s take the ONE vs. Whip. Same price, 5 packages. The Whip is a whip is a whip. There’s a 2011 and 2012 ONE, and with both years, there’s a 2 bearing version and a yoyo with thin bearing+DVD version. Is it better to have a noob buy a $10 Whip that’s unresponsive and frustrate themselves into quitting fast, or do we throw them into a $10 ONE with a DVD so they can get started with video help immediately only so they can outgrow it fast and need a new bearing fairly soon, or just go with 2 bearings and no help and let them find their own way? The 2011 and 2012 ONE shapes are different, and the 2012 is a better grinder than the 2011. The ONE and WHIP have different shapes/profiles and as such they perform differently. This is fact, not opinion.

As we can see, a fuller picture is needed. A fuller picture bulks up the document and will cause problems. We, the forum members also contribute to the confusion as well. A user wants to compare a small group of yoyos, and we start adding in additional models. A user comes along with budget, but then asks the typical “bad question” of “What’s best” and we start down the same tired path of “there is no best”. We disrespect the parameters of the discussion, we disregard the budget. We aren’t helping the situation.

I think what might be best is to come up with some sort of multiple choice question sheet and/or a guide on how to ask for advice, so that way users don’t get overwhelmed with information. Or, provide documentation about yoyos, features, functions and things of that nature in order to educate users so they can help steer their own decisions, or at least help them narrow things down. This won’t stop the same questions over and over again, but it will help a lot of people.

I also tend to advise new people, especially new adult throwers and throwers with kids, in a different manner. I try to approach things from a “loss management” perspective, trying to keep it reasonably priced, adaptable and flexible but without going nuts. If it takes off, they get good return on investment, but if it flops, I limit their losses. Even with that in mind, sometimes it doesn’t make sense to spend too little, but it can be foolish to spend too much. My answers tend to be the same: Legacy II due to 2 bearings and good weight, and is suitable for 1A,3A and 5A, responsive and unresponsive play via the included bearings, can grind, pretty darn smooth, stable and spins great, easy to maintain(pads vs flowable) and affordable at under $25.

I’m still a relatively new player, at 15 months and 1 day today. I don’t bother asking questions for help as to which yoyo to buy. If I see it and I like it, I buy it. I am not too picky about specs and shapes, I like a bit of everything, even though I have preferences towards certain shapes and weights and sizes. I like almost everything I play.

I don’t want to be a killjoy here. I’ve tried to be positive most of the time I’m on here. I think the idea of a buyer’s guide is great, but I don’t think it’s practical and how this project is going about it won’t help any buyers unless all they are doing is looking at “price vs what’s available at that price”.

Again, this isn’t because I’m involving myself in what could be seen as a competitive solution. My solution won’t help buyers. It’s not intended to help buyers. In fact, my solution will probably confuse buyers. My project is an information compilation that can be used as people see fit once it’s ready to go online or at least be distributed in in raw form.

updated

I should add, that many people sorta skim over recrev. the only one you mentioned was the shar. I think it would be a good idea to put almost every recrev under 60-80 price range (almost all are 70). I have never been dissatisfied with a recrev, and some of my favorite throws are from them and are only $70 (mangaroo, i, all the actives are some of my favorites)

I need a new a new yoyo and I don’t know whether to get a Dark Magic 2, a Cerberus, a hit man or a SR-71. which one is better or what’s another good yoyo around the same price range? any help or feedback will be appreciated thanks :slight_smile:

The reason i didnt put these in are is that some of them are out of stick here but i did realize that they had the facade in stock so i will put that on\

What yoyo do you currently have? look at the shape of that and pick the one that is most similar. That way you will already be comfortable when you get it. I hope this helps

right now I only have cheap yoyo from eBay but i think it’s about the same size as a hitman. Is it better to have a bigger diameter like the Cerberus or a slightly smaller one like the hit man or doesn’t it matter? oh yea and by the way I’m only new to yoyo-ing

When you’re brand new it doesn’t really matter. Once you learn more and try a couple more things it will become more clear what you like.

I like all things.

what yoyo do you have or recommend?

Do you know how to bind yet? What tricks do you like doing?

yeah bindings easy, when I say new I mean like 2 weeks old but I can do most of the advanced tricks on the yoyo expert trick list