Do you like this logo?

I think my main issue with having the unicorn next to the SW is that you have this aesthetic conflict between a symbol that is a pair of thin-armed letterforms and a large(-ish) filled shape. Those two forms don’t really work together. You kinda want one or the other, otherwise you have this “graphic designer couldn’t make up his mind” feeling of inconsistency.

4 Likes

Exactly right. The crown W idea is my solution to ‘logoify’ the initials.

1 Like

Maybe the angles at the end should match the other diagonals in the drawing:

This doesn’t look right though… maybe too long?

3 Likes

Yeah I agree. Needs to be shorter like you said, too.

I think what I like best about this entire idea is that ages from now the yoyo historians will be able to date your work by which logo it has.

4 Likes

I mean, when exactly would a “yoyo historian” come in to the equation? At what point in the future will someone, somewhere say “It’s a yoyo alright, Sally. See the round shape and fixed axle? The problem is that I just can’t DATE the darn thing! Oh, what I would give for a/an yoyo historian!”

Also, if this is salaried and not commission work, may I have an application?

2 Likes

Well, in the mechanical keyboard world, the date of manufacture of a vintage keyboard is important to collectors, and a common way to tell different eras of production of a keyboard like, say, the IBM Model M is by the style (and color) of the badge on it. I can see how the same principle could apply to a yoyo brand as well, especially one where the yoyos are hand-made by a single individual and have a good chance of becoming highly sought after by collectors decades from now.

2 Likes

Everything is measured using proportions in the one I made. Here they are.

First one is the OG logo. Second one is the new one + the proportion guidelines. Third one is your idea of making the angles of the crossing arms the same angle as everything else. The difference is subtle but it’s definitely there.

3 Likes

@Avvatar showing your yoyo knowledge (lack of)
Would you believe people collect these things?
Have you visited the online yoyo museum?
There are Duncan’s that can be dated specifically by the logo (See big “G” little “g”)
Same with Flores. Would you prefer carbon dating?
Can you tell the difference between a 70’s TK No Jive and a BC No Jive?
Someone who collects them can. There’s collectors here who spend good money on old and rare yoyo’s. In my experience I’ve always gotten help for free from people like Dave Hall, Bob Rule, Lucky, etc… Don’t tell them or the community they aren’t historians, that would be ignorant. Do you not think Glenn’s stuff is worthy enough to be remembered? I think it is.

2 Likes

I’m flattered, but I’m so small I’m hardly even worthy to be called a brand, let alone numbered with the likes of TK or Duncan.

Calm down, sir. I was simply making a joke. Of course there are collectors! And one certainly SHOULD consider ANY serious collector an historian.

I have a brother in law who is a music history major. He works in the IT world professionally and always jokes about the Led Zeppelin lawsuit, “FINALLY the world has found a use for a music historian!” The same applies to the yoyo historian.

There was no malice or ignorance meant, and I apologise if it was taken.

1 Like

Maybe if the S & W were smaller, the unicorn would be more prominent.
Would look like less of an afterthought?

I’m leaning towards what you already have honestly, or possibly some other calligraphy, no unicorn at all. Less is more, sometimes it’s true.

The cross looks like the yo-yo is crafted at a monastery. Nothing wrong with that, just my impression.

I agree with this. I know that Glenn wants to change the logo to make things fresh, but I still like the original best. The clean and simple SW just looks so good.

The principle of sheering the endcaps of the crossed arms to match a consistent angle is sound. However, if you look at the end-arms of the S, which are at the same angle as the crossed arms inside the M, the endcaps are sheered to be perfectly vertical. I think the endcaps of the inner crossed arms should be too.

4 Likes

vertical is a good call.

1 Like

You’re quite right about the end caps @zslane. Could you do this, @EOS44?

1 Like

@Glenacius_K @zslane Great idea. I got you.

How is it now?

9 Likes

Almost perfect. I’d also like the arms of the cross to be the same length as the top.

3 Likes

That looks great. By sheering those endcaps to the vertical, the negative space inside the W has a stronger vertical emphasis, like clean vertical channels to either side of the small cross in the middle. Well done!

4 Likes

@EOS44 If you have the patience for it, I’d like to also see what it would look like with the arms and cross smaller.

2 Likes