Do you ever NOT buy a yoyo because of the color?

I’ve absolutely wanted to buy yoyos that didn’t come in the “right color”. My entire collection is (almost) solid black (and raw for Titanium) – partly inspired by the Unknown lineup.

It wasn’t that way when I first started, but one day I added up total amount I had spent on anything yoyo related up to that point, and let’s just say it was an eye-opening sum. :money_with_wings:

So, to impose a little self control, I found that if I allowed myself to buy yoyos in only 1 color (I choose black), it drastically cut down on what I was able to buy. And I think the monochromatic collection looks cool to boot. :dark_sunglasses: I’ve still got a few favorites not in black, but I replace them with black whenever I come across one.

3 Likes

The short answer is no. If you’ve got a Dietz that I want , I won’t care what color it is. So long as it’s minty.

5 Likes

then you should check out the toybania taraus … 7068 al competition design at only 50 $
its a steal

1 Like

I try not to copy color patterns in my collection. Otherwise any color is fair game. Now if something really jumps out to me then I’ll wait. But I’m more interested in a combination of the senses. That’s what got me deep into yo-yos. It was pleasing to all my senses. Except smell or taste, although…

2 Likes

Oh! So that’s what they mean by yoyo dieting!

2 Likes

sometimes you cannot be selective if there is something you want to try. generally my preferred color, raw/clear, will be the last to sell out when i’ve chased certain drops, so i do alright in those cases.

2 Likes

Red.
Seriously don’t understand why. I love yoyos but I can’t abide red.
Maybe I haven’t met the right red yoyo yet :rofl:.

1 Like

same here

I strongly dislike most pink. I can’t get past the mental association of pink and Pepto Bismol.

1 Like

Very amazing that you mentioned that!

I tested your feeling by trying to take a big bite right outta my pink Dove🙀

And it tasted just like Pepto-Bismol😳

I have a beautiful brown and gold Avant Garde… Sure not gonna test that one.

It prolly tastes like Expensive Ex-lax…

Doh!

3 Likes

I bought a white/silver Hummingbird because the purple was sold out. I’ve been regretting it ever since, though I just found the purple on a japenese site.
Colorway is honestly extremely important to me. I’ll only buy if I like how the throw looks, otherwise I will never actually get it used.

1 Like

I never refuse to yoyo because of the color. However when I look at my collection, there is a noticeable lack of green and pink, like one green and no pink. Subconscious or coincidence? :man_shrugging: I do recall thinking “if that yoyo came in a different color or even raw I’d own it.” That’s when the first OPYOYOS dropped. Maybe I do not buy some yoyos because of the color.

1 Like

If I really want a yoyo, the color has never dissuaded me but if I was on the fence, a nice color can be the difference between buying or not buying

I tend to line strong colors, like lime green, orange and pink. I also think that some colors are easier to get right than others…

However, I never discarded getting a yo-yo because of its color.

The quick and easy answer is yes. If a yo-yo comes out and it’s exciting or I really am interested in it I will try to work with the available colors but I have the colors I like. Silver, gray, black or some combination there of are winners for me, I like a good galaxy colorway as well or color combos but if for example red or greens are the only options I will be very picky as whether I want that throw or not.

If a good yoyo comes out in a dozen colors including black.

Black would be my last choice.

If I was late for a drop. And every color was already sold out except black. I most likely would just pas on it.

There is nothing ‘wrong’ with black yoyos. Maybe in the 20 plus years I professionally painted car and choppers and just about anything else paintable. I just painted way too many things black, dunno?

I just tend to enjoy colors that jump out at me. Colors that are easier to follow under more lighting conditions.

When I started attending yoyo Contest back around 1998(thereabouts). I noticed real fast that it was harder for ‘me’ to clearly follow the black yoyos through the air. And if the contestant was wearing black or dark clothes. And way back then, some guys actually threw with black string. And some of the stages had a black backdrop. Very low contrast seemed a real pain to my enjoyment of even watching.

When Johnnie Delvalle ushered in what I call ‘tricks in a box’ and others start following suit. I liked black even less.

(Tricks in a box is a term I use to describe when a player does a whole bunch of string hits in a series of tricks that almost look like the player is wearing handcuffs and his hands are moving within an invisible shoebox.)

When the players started using lighter and brighter colored yo-yos combined with white or neon yellow/green or orange string. To me, that was the recipe to enable better appreciation for what the player was actually doing.

Obviously I am not a competitor. But I often find myself throwing in less than idea lighting conditions. So… black yo-yos are not my best friend.

Now, that being explained. I ‘do’ have some black yo-yos that I have absorbed in trades. If a guy really wants a certain yoyo that I have. And he has a very nice yoyo also… And it just happens to be black. I will still trade so the kid can get the yoyo he wants.

And most of the black yo-yos I do have. I really like the yoyos regardless. But I still don’t care for black, lol.

Two tones or tri metals are good for me. A black yoyo with stainless or gold or rainbow rims…
A tri metal like Sengoku Hydeyoshi is amazingly sweet looking. Black with contrasting rings.

I was at a friends house one day and he Loves black yo-yos. We walked into his ‘fun room’ and he opened up 2 suitcase size yoyo cases. Both top and bottom foam and filled with nothing but black yo-yos. From about 6 feet away, it looked like a huge collection of Hockey Pucks, Lolol.

So… the moral of the story is whatever makes you happy. 90 percent of players will never compete in their entire life. So contrast may have little value, if any.

3 Likes

That is probably why Gentry is so successful. He uses those bright teal yoyos:) I have some black throws, I have a black Space cadet with polished rims and I really like it. I never thought too much about not being able to see black yoyos well. It was never a problem to me but I guess everyone is different.

1 Like