DIY Yoyo cases

Was curious to see what others might be using to store their collection. This one was a microphone case that had removable foam pieces. Worked out pretty great I think !

19 Likes

Here’s my “DIY” case, it’s a Pelican 1170 with the pluck foam removed in a way similar to what you did with yours. This is my “House Is Burning Down But You Can Only Grab One Case” case. :joy:

18 Likes

That’s awesome !

2 Likes

14 Likes

One of my casss :stuck_out_tongue:

12 Likes

Wow that’s beautiful! How did you cut the round parts so perfectly?

12 Likes

I took the bottom out of a deodorant can, honed where the tube was cut, measure the hole spacing correctly and voilà.:smiley:

3 Likes

woah very cool!

1 Like

A tomato paste can is a good size as well. If you use the right kind of can opener, then you can use it right after cleaning it to cut holes. Dish soap water helps make the can cut smoothly. The best price for a single small piece of foam I could find was a green foam from Joann fabrics.

2 Likes

I like cases a lot. This is my current project that I’ve been slowly chipping away at: the Bear&Fox Armory 3-pack.

I am planning to have 4 blue and 4 purple available for sale at some point. Send me a message if you want to reserve one. Note: I’ve been really busy with work so I’m not sure when they’ll be completed. I’m still doing some prototyping for the divider Velcro, trying to get the most durable setup figured out.

I have some other ones that I’ve made, I’ll try to snap some pics later. :blush:

11 Likes

Mine’s a Sega game gear case

11 Likes

I still think that is one of the coolest retention systems ever for a yoyo case! Have you had any issues with the design so far? Anything you’d change?

…And if not, can I have the STL file? LOL

Ivan

I wonder if you could do something like this, utalizing the case structure for integrity and minimizing pressure on posts

Or maybe thread the elastic like this for a tighter fit

2 Likes

Made a post about it with links to thingiverse if im not mistaken, check my profile

1 Like

No pressure on the prones, printed in asa. Didnt have other stretchies i could test though, only the ones my wife left on the floor

1 Like

With a acceptable shake test, the yoyos dont touch the prones either, im comfortable to put a einstein in it and have a flight crew handle it.

1 Like

Is that a sengoku masa mini I spy!?

Usually those hard zip cases don’t have a rigid enough structure to support the elastic.

The problem with having longer runs of elastic is that the longer the elastic run is, the tighter it needs to be pulled to secure the yoyo within any given limit so the elastic runs can actually end up putting quite a load on the case depending on how big it is!

I actually experimented a bit with the exact ideas you describe after seeing @Lingsais 's original post (didn’t have a printer at the time so never noticed the Thingiverse links!) and found that his system is pretty hard to beat. The second layout with the yellow lines turned out to be a lot of messing about to get the yoyo threaded into the elastic properly.

And both ideas suffer from the fact that the yoyos all share the same elastic runs, so if you don’t have a yoyo in each station then they sit more loosely. This too gets to be more of an issue the larger the case gets.

I don’t mean to come off as a downer, but I’ve spent time trying out those exact systems so if I can share the problems I ran into with them it might spare you some R&D time!

Ivan

1 Like

That’s a really good explanation of why I did what.

Some more things:
The prone cross is thickened to add to its strength, which makes them less prone to bend. (also the material choice of ASA prones with PLA base, that way i could print out the prones flat for the most lateral strength)
The cross pattern makes it stupidly simple to put in or take out a throw. I designed everything with the stretchies of my wife in mind, so I knew what kinda of movement they had useing a foam block and chopsticks to test out the concept before going into 3d software.
The positioning of these throws in the case is for the most optimal use of space. the case was too small to include 1 more cross without the others bumping against a prone of the a different holder.
But if you have only undersides throws you could shrink down the holders and have 5 in the small case. ( i just like my sasquatch in there as it was one of my firsts)

Now, I only made this thing twice. first one with PLA prones where there was no thicker part on the crosssection. and second one is the finished product. So I do not believe my design can’t be improved anymore.

2 Likes