Disc Golf šŸ„

Last weekend I played Disc Golf for the first time while we were on vacation in in the Finger Lakes area with a few friends. One of the guys we were on the trip with was really into it, he even brought a spare bag and set of discs. I just kind of agreed to go after he wouldnā€™t stop bringing it up lol, thinking Iā€™d have a few beers and tolerate walking around in the heat. I had a surprisingly good time though, even though I sucked (as I expected for the first time).

I could see myself getting into it and have been thinking about picking up some basic discs. Anyone have any recommendations for a starter set? Or a few disc recommendations that would be enough to go out and practice a little?

9 Likes

It does seem like the kind of game where both the company the game itself brings enjoymentā€¦ I would go if I knew people who played. What I said really applies to a lot of activities.

2 Likes

Oh Garrett, how glad I am to have you here.

Honestly if you want to get good only throw putters. My favorites are the Discmania Link(what I personally put with), the Discraft Roach, and the Latitude 64 Pure. There are other putters I like more than the last two, but those are a lot harder to find.

Itā€™s going to seem contradictory when you see dudes bombing these huge shots on high speed drivers, but the low speed of a putter is going to go a lot further for an untrained arm, and is going to show you your mistakes a lot more than a driver will.

Use code GREATDEAL at DiscStore for 7% off on me!

4 Likes

Iā€™m coming back to you when Iā€™m off work lol

1 Like

That was so great to be televised too! I like the couple MVP disc I have but never tried their slower speeds, now I will. :slight_smile:

Last disc I bought was the 1st run Kastaplast Faulk iirc. Great disc and plastic. I started playing a lot of Westside disc in 2015 and liked them. Not much help of recent but the game is blowing up and new stuff is everywhere!

Quinton had the best advice and what we got when we started. But, I had to try all kinds of disc as thatā€™s what drew me in. Turns out the numbers can be deceptive, but also gave my brain something to use to help figure them out before the skill was there to base it from.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice, Iā€™ll check those out!

You would love a Buzzz. I threw mostly with Rocs and a Big Z Buzzz changed my life. I do still drive with a KC Pro Roc on short straight greens, but the turn on the Buzzz is so so nice for holding a line and having a slow dependable fade. The Roc is amazing but that 3 Fade will always leave it as a Mid I crank Anhyzer off the tee.

Other than trying a Buzzz, your bag looks really nice by todayā€™s standards!! If you like the Rhyno for approaches, the innova Rat has a similar feel IMO, no Thumbtrac tho.

You must have a CANNON for those distance drivers! Iā€™m super jealous. I got noodle arms so I keep a Wraith and now a Scorch in my distance drivers slot but it takes a lot for me to switch off of my TeeBird3 man. That thing just shapes shots soooooo clean.

Be sure to let us know how the first game back goes! As you can tell, I kinda like talking about disc golf lol

2 Likes

Rad! If you want any videos on form or anything just let me know! Much like beginning yoyoing good mix of videos and practice will get you in fighting trim in no time.

Dude. We sold 250 envys today. Get one quick if you want one because they are now a HOT commodity.

1 Like

Yeah I looked up a few form videos already! And coupled with what was explained to me the first time I went, I think I have a good grasp on what to practice. I also got one of my local buddies to agree to go out with me at least a few times, so I added a few extra discs to my cart and placed an order yesterday. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Iā€™ll keep you posted on how it goes!

2 Likes

Heck yeah man! What did you end up getting?

I was the same way. The teebird3 was the first disc i purchased and itā€™s still in my bag. Shouldā€™ve never been throwing an 8 speed, but who is just gonna get into disc golf without getting caught up by 1 or 2 drivers earlier than they should!?

1 Like

So I took your advice on starting with Putters. Picked up the Discmania Link that you recommended and an Innova Aviar that I saw recommended elsewhere. Also added in the DiscCraft starter pack to have a mid range and driver to try out too. I also saw the Buzzz recommended elsewhere so thought the pack was a good deal to start with.

5 Likes

Awesome!! That will do a lot to get you going! The Aviar is the baseline putter that almost everyone starts with, youā€™ll definitely notice differences in it and the Link, but once you start hucking them youā€™ll get a feel for what kind of disc youā€™ll lean more towards.

Those discraft starter sets are such a great deal. Once you build up some form, that sting is going to give you SUCH good flights. My lady still loves hers and she can throw damn far with it.

As always my dude, let me know if you have any questions or anything at all!

3 Likes

Some we just bought for the art lol. This was my 1st ā€˜too fast for meā€™ disc which luckily I quickly grew into. I had hoped so with a -3 turn. It soon flew straight then I could work a flip up to straight and nice glide.
It was the Mongoose. Really caught my eye liking Rikki Tikki Tavi. Had 2, lost the white one. Thatā€™s one thing you donā€™t plan on, loosing favorites, and it sucks. How can you not find em?!?!? Sometimes you and everyone else just canā€™t lol.

Sometimes you just gotta go left farther than a mid. Einstein goes left.

Just liked the graphics and foil and wide rim having XL-XXL hands according to glove manufactures. It was a nice fit. Soft plastic so it was easy to learn to flip it up after a while.

These havenā€™t been thrown. Got for the wife since she likes beeā€™s and hummingbirds.

Her favorites to play were the Leopard, Sidewinder, Beast, and Diamond. The Japan 150g class also had several disc that were great for her.

Iā€™ve been putting with the super soft Omegaā€™s the last year. Thin and soft but work well. After using Daggerā€™s for a year. Always had a love/hate with them. Two were lost to the blade on a bad day lolololol. Maniacā€™s were good putters but a copy of something else Iā€™ve forgotten. Harp is a great approach and putter.

Current bags. Wifeā€™s and mine. Both have the Fade in shoulder bags and the cheap (but good) Academy backpacks. Seems carts have taken over since 2016ā€™ish. Been thinking about building one with a hand wound high HP out-runner motor with a handle switch just to be silly.

Oneā€™s Iā€™ve lost but liked were the Truth. If you like the Buzz, youā€™ll probably like it. Westside Hatchet! Had 2 of these and lost em both!

4 Likes

Several guys I throw with favor the hatchet.

And the Buzzz is in most of their bags too.

1 Like

Hereā€™s what Iā€™ve got in my bag!

Links are my main putters, itā€™s a solid beaded putter that doesnā€™t have a lot of fade, which I REALLY like.
Luna and Fierce are both my approach discs. I got the tour series because I thought Iā€™d like the plastic more, but I think it makes them too stable. I like it for the luna, but i thinks Iā€™m switching back to putter plastic for the Fierce.

A rat I dyed myself for an approach disc. Love it. Try it if you havenā€™t gotten the chance.
KC Pro roc. Straight fairways with low ceiling? This is ya boy.
BUZZZ SS. As understable as I care for a midrange. Holds an anhyzer forever, and is great for Hyzer flip tunnel shots.
Buzzz OS. Gotta have your overstable midranges. Great for when I want a disc to just spike and sit.
Buzzz times 2. I just found the cotton candy one at work and I love it so much. Itā€™s the best midrange on the market IMO

Thrasher, given to me by my lovely girlfriend. I donā€™t have the arm for it, but when your lady buys you a disc you use it dammit.
Scorch. New disc to the bag. I like it but again. Noodle arms.
Wraith. Have it for specific downhilly shots at my local.

Undetaker. This thing rules. It will turnover really hard if you put some nice anny on it, fades consistently and slowly which I love. Itā€™s overall just a really solid driver.
Avenger SS. Another shot specific disc. Big turnover shots are all I use this for. It flips up to flat on a hyzer and still gets a TON of turnover.
Essence. See: Avenger SS but thrown flat to get the turnover.
Eagle. Solid fairway driver. I dyed this one as well.
Drift. Great for hyzer flips and straight fairway shots or anything that needs right to left space.
Teebird. Get one. Nuff said.
3x Teebird3. My bread and butter. I use the pink and red champion one the most. Itā€™s beat in perfectly. Thrown flat it just GOOOOOES. Anhyzer will be a big flex shot. The pink/red one is the first disc I bought after a putter and Iā€™ve thrown a majority of my shots on it. I have two metal flake ones, 1 regular and 1 Paul Mcbeth signature. Theyā€™re very overstable so I put some anhyzer on it for fast straight shots. I swear up and down by the TeeBird and the Teebird3.

All of this goes into my Dynamic Discs Paratrooper with 2 big ol water bottles, headbands, bug spray, deodorant, sunscreen, pens, pencils, powder bag, etc aaaaall packed away inside. Everything a man could need to sling some plastic at a momentā€™s notice.

3 Likes

Also, iā€™m looking to upgrade my bag in the nearish future. What do you guys like for bags?

1 Like

For the money, I donā€™t think you can beat this bag. Been updated since we got ours.

2 Likes

Dang. That is a super nice bag for the money! Itā€™s insane how much value you get out of that price pointā€¦

I turn the Hatchet over too much! I had one but gave it away. Just couldnā€™t make it do what i wanted lol.

I might have to give the truth a try! Is it very similar to the Buzzz?

2 Likes