Disc Golf šŸ„

I was able to get out a couple of times this week. Just went out to an open field to practice my form. Not really able to break 200 feet throwing mostly putters and mid-ranges. Granted, I only started last week. Iā€™ve been watching some videos on form and how to throw farther.

I realize itā€™s just going to take time and further ironing out issues with my form. Anyone have any insights as to how you increased your distance?

2 Likes

This is one thing that helped me a ton. This technique will help you understand the muscles that come into play when driving and drive home the muscle memory.

Are you taking steps when you throw? Keeping your throw as flat as possible?

2 Likes

I just watched a video earlier and it seems that Iā€™m probably not using my power grip correctly which is causing my discs to go nose up. I havenā€™t started the x-step just yet. Iā€™m trying to get my mechanics down better before I start trying that.

Iā€™ll give that video a watch! Thanks :slight_smile:

Exactly! Getting that standstill form down is so so important.

Out of curiosity, what Putter do you like most for throwing?

1 Like

I bought a few kinds to try out, but the one that Iā€™m enjoying the most is the Kastaplast Berg. Feels really great in my hand and flies nice and straight. For mid- range I really like my Mako3 and Leopard.

Which discs have grown on you?

This dude has a ton of drills you can walk through to help with each individual step of your drive. You can get away with ā€œstrong armingā€ throws pretty far but working on your reachback, hip drive, and release angle help a ton for distance and accuracy. FWIW after messing with some drills and recording myself I was able to throw ~300ā€™ with decent accuracy and ~400 on full power with what felt like less effort than before.

Good call working on your standing throw first. Without a decent form foundation some veryā€¦wonky things can happen with the x-step (fall on your butt, grip lock and throw 200ā€™ into the trees, etc)

2 Likes

Awesome, I will definitely look into those.

1 Like

Iā€™m a big fan of the Eagle, Buzzz (and itā€™s SS brother), and the Teebird3. My throwing putter is the Fierce and I canā€™t recommend it enough. Iā€™m trying to find it in the Cryztal plastic currently, itā€™s hard to track down in any plastic sadly. Still trying to nail down my putting putter tho.

2 Likes

Im a big fan of gateway wizards for most of my putting. They throw well off the tee too

2 Likes

This one helped me gain distance the same day actually. That and throwing disk with some right turn helped too. Being able to flip the disc up and have it turn right a bit before the fade helped increase distance.

Iā€™ve liked the Westside Harp for a driving putter/approach. Daggerā€™s were good for all putting and floating a disc down but the large lip on them required me to really focus on the release or I would hang up now and again on them. Using Omega super softs last year and liked them. Wizards were nice as was the Swan and Judge. My wife putts the Swans. Putters have been weird for me. Iā€™ll like them then hate them after breaking in or vice versa. Iā€™ve never settled on a one and only yet.

I was using them all last year, but my first round this year I just couldnā€™t get them dialed in again. I have moved back to Aviars, but recently picked up.a judge and have been giving it the repsā€¦ so far I think its awesome but who knows where Iā€™ll be in a month lol.

1 Like

Had a bit of a breakthrough over the last couple of days. The videos that were recommended were great. Focused more on shifting weight forward with the hips and working on the correct grip. Throwing putters fairly consistently 200-210 and have had several 230-240 with my midranges and fairways. I threw my River nearly 250 at the end of my field practice today!

4 Likes

Iā€™ve played on and off but never gotten the X step down as I was waiting for the standstill accuracy to increase myself. I didnā€™t have a good forehand but could hit 350 tops on a good pull backhand. Iā€™ve read and been told you can add an extra 80-100ā€™ with a run up so Iā€™m looking forward to learning, especially for longer courses. A buddy came out and his first throws were wild but he could throw 300ā€™ forehand right away.

Dynamic Disc Open final is live now on DGPT YT channel.

Edit:

The womenā€™s Disc Golf Championship is being televised this weekend. Itā€™s on PPV and DGPT.

Edit: Starting day today - Portland Disc Golf today @ 5pm EST.
Edit: On today and tomorrow @ 5pm EST. Ricky is leading again. Good to see Simon back on the card!

Edit: World Championship is on today, right now! 12pm EST.

3 Likes

The Greatest Shot in History.

Letā€™s set the scene.

This is hole 18 at the infamously difficult Fort in Ogden Utah. The competitors have played the Fort 3 times before this point, and everyone is looking at one man, the favorite, the Beast. The best disc golfer in history, Paul McBeth, is looking in good shape to be a 6 time world champion. All day heā€™s been on fire. Putts he should miss are being drained, heā€™s parking every drive possible, and heā€™s got the benefit of Ice in his veins. Heā€™s been here before and at this point itā€™s just business as usual.

The rest of the field is basically just hanging on for the last 6 holes. Thereā€™s birdies, thereā€™s bogies, and then thereā€™s James Conrad. Heā€™s not been playing great during his last round at the fort. The front 9 saw him take two early bogies, but somehow he continues to dig his claws in to keep the world championship withiin reach.

Hereā€™s the thing about James Conrad. Heā€™s the most 1 dimensional player in the field. With effectively no Sidearm game, he relies on Backhands. These are the shots where you pull your arm across your body, but as your disc slows down, it always fades to the left, a forearm on the other hand, always fades to the right. Always. This puts James at a severe disadvantage on just about every hole.

Especially hole 18. Hole 18 is 1 long shot across water, a shot to the left to get to the 250ish foot lane that leads to the basket on the right of where your first shot is landing. That shot to the left heavily favors the forearm. You can rip it low, depend on the fade to the right to take you on to the lane to the basket. For the predominantly backhand player, you have to lay up to the lane, lay up to the basket, and putt from there. On this difficult par 4, a 4 is what most backhand dominant players are going to be happy with. Hell. For a player with both shots in the bag, a 4 is STILL what youā€™re happy with.

Paul McBeth parks his 1st drive. With a one shot lead, everyone is already marking his 6th World Title. Conrad has a bad drive, has layed up to the lane, and is looking at his chances of his first world title getting slimmer and slimmer. He needs that 1 stroke. But on the last hole of the last round, thereā€™s only 1 shot at it.

And that shot ended up being the greatest shot in history.

The 1 stroke he needed, not to win, but to force a playoff. But letā€™s be honest. After THAT shot. Heā€™s already won the world title, it was just a matter of time. He won on the first hole of the Playoff after Paul overthrows the island green.

6 Likes

WOW!!! That was great! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been on a hiatus for a few (several?) years, I saw this news story and itā€™s got me thinking about getting back out thereā€¦

Anyone in Central Florida up for a round? Iā€™ve got at least 3 courses near me in the Melbourne area.

Lol, taking a look at the olā€™ bag hereā€¦I need to update my phone number on all my discsā€¦I wonder if my PDGA number is still valid?

2 Likes

Your PDGA is yours forever. Youā€™ll just have to renew your membership.

Iā€™d love to peek inside the bag! If youā€™re on the lookout for new plastic, hit me up for some Disc Store goodies!

2 Likes

All layed out, I dont think Iā€™ve gotten anything new since probably 2013? Innova Blizzard Champions had just come out not long before I quit and the MVP Anode was probably the last thing I boughtā€¦used to love that putter.

This was good to get them all out, needed to clean my bag apparentlyā€¦found all sorts of aged treasures!

Left to right, top to bottom:
Discraft Reaper
Discmania DD2
Discmania Russian Nats 2012
Innova Ape Blizzard Champion
Innova Starfire Pro
Innova Destroyer Blizzard Champion
Innova Star Wraith
Discmania DD2
Latitude 64 Havoc
Innova Krait Blizzard Champion
Innova Wraith
Discmania Russian Nats 2012 (bought a second and the first was returned after it had been lost for a few weeks!)
Discraft Stalker
Innova Roc
Innova Eagle
Innova Skeeter
Discraft Ace Race 2012 (prototype?)
Innova Cro
Innova Rhyno
Innova Rhyno
Innova Roc
Innova Polecat
Innova Champion Rhyno
MVP Anode

1 Like

And yeah, totallyā€¦peddle me some plastics please!

Whatā€™s everyone using nowadays? Best brands, etc.

I throw a lot of side arm drives, backhand and overhand mid range. The Florida Pines are thick on my most frequented course!

1 Like