Disc Golf šŸ„

Iā€™ve been playing a handful of years but never too seriously, usually hit par with the occasional birdy (or triple bogey because trees). Between a wet winter and courses being closed, I havenā€™t gotten out much but was playing around with the practice basket a bit this weekend for the first time in a while!

My go to off the tee is usually a Destroyer or Tee Bird, Buzzes or Harps for approaching and Wizards for putting.

2 Likes

My friend just picked this up around Halloween.

10 Likes

Got to hit up a course yesterday. Beautiful weather in South Texas right now (right now:wink:)

3 Likes

Ive been jonesing to get out and play a round lately but the weather hasnā€™t been cooperating

1 Like

I definitely had that itch. March was the last time I got to throw discs.

1 Like

This thread is actually piquing my interest. I grew up casually playing frisbee catch and ultimate with friends at scouting events, and in more recent years I had a border collie that I would play with daily for about 5-6 years. And because I preferred to use a Kong (black is hard-mode, but my preferred disc over the red), I had to develop really accurate throwing technique to drop it in just the right area of a yard to invoke a leaping catch (or a solid backflip on home turf, dogs wont usually do this if they arenā€™t forced to in order to make the catch). So id like to think that I would be naturally inclined for the mid-range stuff.

I was just watching that video on how to throw far, and that is basically the same thing I was doing if I wanted to throw a laser shot. Would love to see if I could get 400 yards with a good driver disc.

Unfortunately this is the worst time of year for north NJ weather. I think there are a lot of good courses nearby, but maybe I could just get a few baskets and set them up at home in the meantime. I have a few places that I can set them up for long launches.

2 Likes

Too cold to play here. I did give my best friend a red white and blue tie dye disc for Christmas.

1 Like

Texas state championship has been televised the last 2 days and finale tomorrow!

Itā€™s a fun walk through the woods! Very economical to start and play and challenging. I enjoyed it when I played and still have the disk, itā€™s given us the itch to play again. Just being outdoors makes it for me.

3 Likes

I mentioned the park my wife and I walk that has a fairly large and active disc golf course above. We walked the park most every day this last winter and there were a good number of players on most days if it was above zero deg F. Have some hearty throwers around here.

2 Likes

The weather is good here now but my playing buddy just had rotator cup surgery. Iā€™ve tried to get him to play with the other hand. No luck.

2 Likes

disc golf is pretty fun with a group of friends. its satisfying to have a good throw, its all about the friendly competition

2 Likes

From watching the coverage I would say they are finally blowing up in popularity like theyā€™ve wanted for years. The footage and commercials are professional and well produced. Todayā€™s final has had some great play.

They make cold weather disk that are softer plastic so they donā€™t crack or shatter if you have a hard hit. The ā€˜frozenā€™ line is the only one Iā€™ve played but I like them. You can throw flex shots with them in summer time too and they are very grippy.

I love watching a good throw fly. ā€˜Sā€™ turns are so fun to hit well on a tight woods course. I have yet to ever hit an ace but Iā€™ve touched chains a few times which was fun.

2 Likes

I live in SE Kentucky and several towns have put disc gold courses in their parks. I figure if they are doing it here they must be doing it everywhere.

2 Likes

Headed out with the boys now!

4 Likes

11 of us throwing. Just got down the first 9.

And yes, thatā€™s a river water hazard.:sunglasses:

4 Likes

The Vintage open final was televised yesterday. Some YT channels have it up already. JomezPro used to have some great coverage but I havenā€™t watched any in a while.

Digging through my disc I noticed it wasnā€™t the ā€˜frozenā€™ edition for cold weather, but the ā€˜Frostā€™.

Those are always fun! We saw a guy with some dive gear once who said he pulled out over 50 disc from a lake hazard.

3 Likes

I always bag one or two discs in blizzard plastic when Im playing near water. Iā€™ve sent a handful of ā€œfinders keepersā€ texts to the heroes who dive for discs every so often

I gotta get out to the course once things dry up a bit!

2 Likes

Some places have an option to throw around the water hazard but nothings worse than a shot you make 9.9 of 10 and you loose a disc you like or have broken in ā€˜just rightā€™. Even replacements in the same plastic and weight just donā€™t end up throwing the same sometimes.

1 Like

Disc Golf is amazing. I fell in love with it during CoVid and recently took a job at Disc Store in Omaha. Best hobby to ever enter my life.

4 Likes

Nice to hear! There is something special about the outdoors and the game. Nature isnā€™t given enough of the credit it deserves.

Edit: Browsing channels the Jonesboro Open is being televised today and this weekend!

1 Like