Disadvantages to thicker string

Generally played with normal or OTS fat string. But recently got my hands on some Kitty XL and absolutely love the feel.

Seems like I get better whips and slacks, binding is tighter and I even feel ( can’t prove lol ) that’s I’m throwing harder.

Are there any disadvantages to thicker string that would make someone consider going “down” a thickness?

3 Likes

Of course- snags.

11 Likes

I feel this too. Thinner string seems to constrict my finger more and that’s why I stopped using anything less than fat.

Thicker string will create more drag with multiple string layers in the gap. That’s the main disadvantage.

7 Likes

That’s an amazing point I didn’t even think about!!!

2 Likes

I have noticed a few snags or even returns if it hits the pads. Good point

3 Likes

Depending on the yo-yos design(mainly walls and gap) combined with what pads are installed most people will tell you snagging. Which will happen with some throws and you’ll def want some thinner string with them. Those are things I keep in mind for unresponsive. With responsive it’s mainly just how you want your responsiveness set up. String thickness is a quick and easy way to adjust that

6 Likes

If you do run into issues with snagging. Then go for a silicone recess if you don’t want to use thinner string. That extra bit of recess is just enough to stop the snagging most of the time.

7 Likes

Sometimes I feel like thicker strings can be a bit wonky for my incredibly bad tech stuff . I also feel like it can get snaggy too when you start adding string layers into the combo

4 Likes

I’m someone that can’t even deal with fat sized strings so I can probably give some insights.

1. Snaggy response. Self-explanatory.

2. Decreased versatility of the string. For normal sized string, I can use it for my looping yoyos with no issues, but that wouldn’t be the case for anything thicker than normal sized string. It saves me some money as well since I don’t have to buy another string of different thickness to use in my loopers. This also applies to mini and micro sized yoyos like the Heist, Masamini etc. My undersized yoyos wouldn’t be able to use strings that are thicker than normal thanks to their small gap width, and I own a lot of undersized yoyos.

3. The maximum number of wraps you can get. Thicker string interacts with the pads and the sides of the yoyo more, which makes the yoyo slow down more significantly when you’re doing tricks with a lot of wraps.

4. It’s easier to unintentionally catch a thick string.

6 Likes

Good topic! I appreciate the information.

2 Likes

With thicker string you have fewer wraps around the bearing, so the yo-yo has to travel down the string faster to reach the same spin speed. It may just feel like you’re throwing harder because there’s less resistance.

2 Likes

I don’t think your assessment is accurate. Thicker string will give you tighter binds, especially when binding at lower RPM, which will actually give you consistently more powerful throws. It’s one of the reasons why I like snow tires and started using thicker strings when possible. Consistently tighter binds off lower speed yoyos, which give me a more powerful spin off weaker throws.

I use both kitty normal and kitty fat. They’re both for different yoyos. Kitty XL is basically unplayable on older 4.0mm gapped CLYWs because multiple string layers start killing the spin of the yoyo way too quickly, and they’re extremely prone to snagging. So on all of those kitty normal is my preference, fat is fine but still doesn’t play as well as normal in regard to handling string layers and snagging.

4 Likes

I really love how thicker strings feel when throwing (I was a fan of the Airetics thick, and they were REALLY thick), however as I’m approaching more and more tech tricks I’m getting used to use the thinnest string possible. It really helps to learn and create denser tricks without the frustration of a snag or killing the spintime. Currently I’m using both sochi normal and Aceyo strings. On the other hand, I struggle a bit with binds, also because I’m equipped with hard response pads right now, for the tech tricks reason.

But yeah, for the topic point, one disadvantage of thick strings is that they’ll kill the spintime on denser tricks.

4 Likes

IME it is highly dependent on the yoyo im using string with. A thick nylon string can play like a nice Cadillac on a heavier yoyo with a wide gap, but put it on something more light and narrow (gap width) and you kill the yoyo feedback and get snags. In some cases, the thicker string interacts with the pads better on the throw and allows for a more powerful throw, but in others it feels like it slows it down.

Personally I think finding the perfect string to match a yoyo is more important than a perfect string in and of itself. Some of my yoyos like AMMO, but tbh most dont. In general I settle between your standard Kitty thick (classic Zipline thick), and Plutonium. Badwolfeco is my go to nylon, but it is a bit thick in some cases, and ill pick a standard size or G-String if I want it to be a bit thinner. I guess you can tune with pads too, but id only do that to fine tune a setup that is already good.

5 Likes

Normal type 6 is life.

2 Likes

I’m certainly no string expert, but>
To me, it’s not just the thickness of the string, but the composition of the string.

Years ago, thick string was cotton or cotton/polyester and was usually finish wound around medium tension.

But now it’s waaaay different. The mixtures of string fiber types, makes for some pretty different performance characteristics.

And then throw in the variety of tight/loose recipes available.

Fat and fluffy and soft? Fat and fluffy and stiffer? Fat and fluffy with stretch or without ‘any’ stretch?

Fat, but wound tight and slippery. Some thick string is light for its thickness and some formulas are heavier feeling like neck chains.

Whips, lacerations and suicides can really fluctuate depending on the string formula as much or more than the thickness.

The thicker fluffier types that are lighter in weight from loose winding causing lack of cross section density, suck pretty bad outdoors if the wind is blowing at all.

Thicker, but tighter winds(for the thickness) stack up drag less with multi layers. As opposed to the thicker but fluffier, looser winds that really slow down spin time(but again, depending on the nylon, poly, Kevlar, whatever, makeup of the string). The slickness of some formulas seem to cancel a certain amount of drag simply by nature of their more slippery character.

I think I remember Zipline saying they have come up with 105 different formulas in an effort to see what does what.

There are obviously disadvantages to using thicker strings in general. But there are currently so many different yo-yo gap widths(in C size) and so many different response durometers of stickiness on pads. And several types, thicknesses and set depths of flow type response. Schmoove grooves… high walls, low walls, reverse cut, no walls, etc. it’s had to quantify exactly what disadvantages a thick string presents, because if so much variation in yo-yo design, gap width, response types, etc., can have dramatically different results.

Not even considering D size bearing yo-yos and responsive yo-yos.

No kidding.

PS…. One thing I personally don’t care for at all> thicker string that is wound in a way that the string won’t hold tension and either flattens out or coils up very quickly. No fan of those strings.

6 Likes

What can i say… i like em thicc

2 Likes

Great response thanks!

Lmaof