dings, dings, dings.

lol I hope you’re kidding cause that is hilarious

1 Like

Yeah like I said I’m always extra careful, but then it just happens. Well at least you got lucky :wink: lol

I love my shutter to death, but it doesn’t grind as well as I would hope.

this is one of about 10 topics that yo-yoers will continue to rehash until the end of time.

i think you have to be practical with respect to the things you own. on the one hand, everything you acquire becomes your responsibility, so you should take care of your things and not mess them up on purpose. on the other hand, people tend to hyper-obsess about keeping their toys in mint condition, which is not compatible with how i take joy in yo-yoing.

i don’t care about my yo-yo getting dinged any more than i care about my skateboard getting dinged. i want to use my yo-yo as a tool for experiencing the world (not just my carpeted bedroom), so i have to accept the fact that it’s going to run INTO that world sometimes. when it does, i carefully, lovingly file down dings and burrs and move on. i’ve banged up some yo-yo’s A LOT, and i’ve never really rendered one totally unplayable/unenjoyable through reasonable play.

i kind of figure i’m not mint and i wouldn’t want to be. every scar i have represents somewhere i’ve been or something that happened to me. the neural pathways in my brain which make up my “personality” are basically just physiological/electro-chemical “dings” that have come from my experience. in a way, you ARE your dings, and i think it’s fine for a yo-yo to reflect its owner.

an old zen saying goes “tattered, threadbare robes are nothing to be ashamed of, nor are they anything to be proud of/” that’s really how i feel about dinged yo-yo’s.

5 Likes

Dings are a way of life, just not for us!

I despise dings and scratches so therefore in the ultra rare instance something should happen I quickly remove the said atrocity. Polish or powder coat.

Some of our favorites just don’t get thrown in areas that are less than ideal for yoing.

Its a toy, it falls, gets hurt , and keeps spinning!!!

Just think, no matter how many dings or scratches, these precision tuned machine robot spinning things on a string KEEP GOING! Its amazing.

I like to keep throws mint, but a lot of times i enjoy throwing outdoors and im not always over grass… So stuff happens but whatever thats life. You cant be too attached to material things to care…

wow thanks guys. This turned into a life lesson all of a sudden lol. I agree with all of you it is just a piece of metal or plastic, but things always happen. I will probably always try to keep my yoyos in good shape but if it gets dinged nothing I can do about it except deal with it and keep playing, and each ding tells a story :wink:

I don’t consider them dings, they are battle scars. :slight_smile:

Dings happen, especially when you are throwing something around attached to a string. I use to worry about them when I first started, now I just play and have fun.

Dings are fine by me. I mean, it’s not like I want them to happen, but they do. Of course when I get a new yoyo, I try and protect it a little and freak out a little if it hits the ground, but I get over that usually after the first few weeks of having it. Getting a ding can be good though, just because then it kind of lets you relax about dings because, well, the deed is already done. :wink:

Yeah exactly how I feel about it!!

I’m sure this is no surprise to anyone with a 7075 yoyo, but the format:C is my first… today I dropped it on my in-law’s tile floor. Ceramic tile has always been a surefire ding any time I’ve done it in the past. Pulled up the yoyo to inspect the damage, and I couldn’t even tell where it had impacted the tile.

I’m not saying it’s impervious to damage or anything ridikkulus like that, but I was very surprised that I couldn’t even find a flat spot!

Side note: most times I’ve done this, I’ve been sitting on a staircase trying to throw from a seated position. I’m conscious of the initial throw and take precautions, but sometimes a miss or a failed snap start or just “wrong” muscle memory causes me to bang the yoyo down when I don’t mean to. As I said before, I don’t mind dings at all… but “Well, I was sitting on a set of stairs and just sort of dropped it” is a pretty miserable story. :wink:

If you ever buy a pre-dinged yoyo from the BST, not only is the deed already done, but it wasn’t your carelessness that did it! Man, it’s really easy to relax and enjoy a yoyo when the first time you ever throw it, it’s already scuffed and/or dinged!

I used to make a BIG DEAL about getting yoyos dinged and scratched but now I’ve learned to accept and to move on.Im not saying that I don’t care if they get damaged but now I just accept.Something my dad told me “nothing stays the same”.I like using that quote a lot. Plus sometimes I refer dings on my yoyo as love marks because I love em so much ill use them over any surface. But yes when I do get a new throw I try to keep em mint for a good while.

1 Like

I’ve had a couple of moments like that where the yoyo does not seem damaged it is very unlike tho lol. I’ve never bought a used yoyo but I bet it does save you from worrying about it so I guess that would be one way to go :slight_smile:

For me, it depends on what I bought the yo-yo for in the first place. Some yo-yos are bought to be played, and others are bought for a “collection” purpose.

I have a 12 case of mains that I play without being extra careful. I still try to keep my things nice, no matter what, because I don’t like to own anything that looks a mess. But, they are likely to have a little nick or scratch somewhere over time, and they were set aside “to be played.”

I have another case, my YoyoExpert Editions, that are case queens. They have been thrown once, put in the case, and they model in the case, and outside the case, but they were bought as collectors. It would matter if I dinged one of those.

1 Like

Dings, hate it or HATEEEEEE it, you have to accept the fact that… Unless you are not throwing, u will have DINGS anyway…

It doesnt matter much as long as it is not a SERIOUS one which affects spin time or plays drastically.

If someone cares bout the yoyo too much, avoiding dings, well that may pretty much sums up that the player is not trying hard or going over his/her limits on tricks. I often ding my Superstar (LOL) when doing tricks, especially new ones, or trying to improve my speed. That’s awkward sometimes but as I get used to it, I encounter less hittin on the ground.

Just, keep throwing. Unless it is a very serious dings, or else just ignore it.

Playing at grasses or soft lands will help, but not always, as we might travel to other place. Who knows ? :smiley:

The only thing(s) dings do is show love because DUNCAN IS LOVE.

Once my brother dinged a yoyo of mine and I almost went insane I got very mad and probably tried to strangle him. After I started buying higher end stuff I decided never ever to get a ding I a yoyo. Well it doesn’t work that way. Now if I ding one its like oh shoot. But no biggie.

your brother deserves some eli hops to the face haha JK. Well now I have a strategy for myself. I just take the yoyos that I do not really care about everywhere and anywhere. However, my high-end throws I only throw over carpeted or wooded areas, that way I keep them mint and it has worked so far. Some people may say that I am too careful and that it is just a toy and I agree with them, but I like to keep some things nice and perfect haha.

Dinged Genesis after a week. now like 2-4 huge dings
Haven’t dinged Phenom yet, playing inside on carpet.
You have no idea on how dinged my Dv888 is. It’s like a battleground.
And my luminous, oh my luminous. It’s an Auldey yoyo, but I just began to like it because it was fast and realised I walked the dog with it and now it’s vibey…crap
I tried sanding rims, just made it worse. Also response ripped, now with THIN yyf response so it doens’t bind anymore :’(
Ding->sad->depressed->suicide.
lol

Dings? Oh… You mean battle scars.