Difference between spec x and spec large

I just recently got a dv888, and the bearing seems to have started seizing/locking up. I have been looking into getting a new one, and I was wondering what the difference was between the two size C bearings listed on this page: http://shop.yoyoexpert.com/product/62/YYF-Bearings

Before buying a new bearing, I highly suggest you learn about cleaning bearings…

Also,  Spec X bearing has 10 balls (X as in the Greek numeral), versus the regular, more standard 8 ball design.

10 balls generally indicates a smoother spinning bearing.

The regular large bearing has 8 balls while the spec X has 10. Both seem to work just as well.

Yuki

Alright, thanks for the info. I have tried to get it out to inspect, but after trying many methods to get it out and unstuck, I gave up. The string method just kept breaking the string or the bearing wouldn’t stick. Using pliers I was working it so hard i was afraid of damaging it. Any other tricks?

When you’re using a bearing removal tool or a pair of pliers, make sure that you wiggle, not pull. Pulling will get you no where. Wiggle back and forth and the bearing will work it’s way off.

Yes, that is what i have been doing. Anything more and I’ll have to grab a vice lol.

You should be using the circular bit on a pair of needle nose pliers. Grip it around the bearing.

Yes, I have been doing that. The vice was a joke.

I got that the vice thing was a joke. I was just unaware of what kind of pliers you were using. If you’re not using the right kind of pliers, it can be quite ineffective.

Best thing to do is just keep wiggling. It might take a while, but it’ll come off eventually.

After quite a bit of wiggling all I got was a scratched bearing. Put it back together and it didnt lock up as much, but still some. Sometime later I’ll try the freezing trick.

Try putting a small amount of wd40 in the center, where the axle screws in. Wait for a minute and it should come off with pliers pretty easily.

I’d also recommend using a small piece of tissue paper between the bearing and the pliers. In a lot of scenarios it’s difficult to get a firm grip on the bearing with the pliers alone, particularly if the radius of curvature of the bearing and the pliers are significantly different. In my experience, a piece of tissue paper often allows you to get a better grip and stops you scoring the bearing with the pliers.

yoyofactory suggests you use the axle as a lever. At least that’s what I saw in one of there videos.

NOOOOOO

never use WD40. it kills bearings.

If you’re going to be taking the bearing off for cleaning anyway, it shouldn’t be too big of an issue. Definitely avoid using WD40 as a lubricant though.

Yuki

Freezing trick didn’t work. Guess I’ll just stick with wiggling pliers and whatnot. Is it actually possible that cleaning the bearing would actually stop the locking up? The thing is a brand new yoyo, so I would think it would last a little longer.

If the bearing is locking up, it’s either because there’s some grit in it (in which case cleaning it will resolve the issue) or the bearing is faulty (it happens to the best of companies).

Yuki

Haha! Success has finally been achieved. After freezing it down to about 0 F(-17C) I was able to wiggle it off with pliers. Now, would it be a bad idea to put it back on?

You’re going to have to put some sort of bearing back on. Besides, it should be a tiny bit easier to remove from here on.

Yuki

Understandably so. If I were to get a new bearing, would it have a better chance of fitting properly? Also, how is the yoyoexpert bucket of string? Seems like a good deal. Don’t know how it is though. http://shop.yoyoexpert.com/product/743/50-Pack---EXPERT-Strings