Did you buy a Gnarwhal 2?

You know how sometimes you can see dark spots in the anodize on a throw? I purchased one of the new Gnarwhal 2’s from the current batch, in Clareview Station, and one of the halves has those darkened blackish spots EVERYWHERE. However, it is so very smooth so I’m thinking I’ll probably just let it be. But I am curious if this happened to anybody else? When I say everywhere I mean everywhere, inside and outside the cup, most noticeable on the rims and the engraving on the double wiener side. Please let me know if you purchased one and yours has this too.

I did pick up a Gnarwhal 2. Didn’t have the spots on it. Contact Chris or Steve at CLYW and see what they can do for you. The company has amazing customer service.

Were the dark spots on the anno kind of like scuffs? I got a Sasquatch from the most recent run and it had those weird scuffs too. I thought it looked like someone had dotted the rim area with pencil lead. I managed to remove my scuffs by rubbing each little spot with an eraser.

Pics please?

Not scuffs, and they definitely won’t rub off. Just dark ano spots. I’ll post some pictures within the next half hour.

Here are pictures of what I’m talking about. They are harder to see in pictures inside the catch area but they are definitely there. It’s only on one of the halves. The thing is, I have B Grades that were marked B Grade for ano flaws with less flaws than this. Let me know what you all think. Thanks.

You have bad luck with the ano on your purchases!

You need better lighting in your pics to show it, imo.

Yeah lighting isn’t the best, don’t have additional lights and reflectors on hand you know. Take what you can see in the picture, and then imagine it worse in person as it actually is.

http://I bought a gnarwhal, haven’t noticed this on mine yet. I did get jack rabbit, but I’ll look closer tomorrow.

However, my ashberry chief from the recent run has what I see in your pics, not quite that bad, but a bit more noticible on pink. Been meaning to take some pics of it, I’ll try to post some tomorrow. Certainly the same type of spots from what I can tell though, haven’t been able to wipe mine off either. Seems like an ano error of some sort as you said. My chief is nearly prefect aside from the spots.

Edit: pics added

My new gnarwahl doesn’t seem to have this issue. I took a few quick pics this morning, didn’t have much time. The spots on the chief aren’t too bad and seem to be only on the outer rims and in between the inner and outer rims. On the top pic you can see the spots on the outer rim near the top and bottom of the pic, if you look closely you can see them in between the two rims. On the bottom pic you can see them in between the two rims pretty clearly, especially like top left where the light is hitting. I’d also like to know what this is, but I’m not too worried about it because it plays like a beast. ???

Sorry you aren’t happy with your gnarwhal snow, sometimes ano flaws get missed in quality control. Give us a call or send us an email and we can help you out!

1 Like

The speckles could be there because it may have not been cleaned enough before the anodizing process

YoyoExpert has amazing customer service and I know they will take care of the situation. I will send a message about it later today. Thanks.

2 Likes

I think my chief has some really small ones as well. But damn it plays good.

Mine is perfect, no problems here.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7502/15466094014_e0f65ba86d_c.jpgGnarwhal2 by The TotalArtist, on Flickr

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8580/16086483641_d66ea8bc7e_c.jpgGnarwhal2spin8 by The TotalArtist, on Flickr

You can see some of the spots on my Chief

I got one from the original 1st run last year and I had ano flaws all over. Still dead smooth, so I didn’t mind.

I have a Clearview Station Gnar2. I do not have those spots. Sorry to hear that yours does though. YYE and CLYW have phenomenal customer service. Let YYE know your concerns and I am sure that you can find a satisfactory resolution.

Whether it has ano-flaws or not; I love mine.

Cheers.

Argh! Sorry about this! This release happened crazy fast so it looks like a bunk ano job got through. :frowning:

YoYoExpert will take care of you…that’s what they’re here for!

I have intergalactic hulk smash chief which has a lot of speckles on one side and I like it that way

I got one, perfect. Exept for the bearing. It was great the first day. Until it became 100% responsive. Talked to yye, they sent me bearing, it arrived today. Did they fix your problem?