DG's pad making journey (Just starting)

Well, as some of you may know, I have an Electric Daisy w/ a stripped axle. Well, I got the bright idea to make pads - where I can test them in the Electric Daisy!! (Yeah, Yeah, but, for one throw, it will work. Luckily for me, I announced a company back in late Summer (Early, but, ehh), and our designs will all use .555 sized pads. This will come in handy, because, if these work, we have a response to sell and for use in the yoyos!

So, the plans are to make 5 different pad types, all made of silicone types.

The types I’ll be using:

Black Silicone Gasket
Red RTV Silicone
Blue RTV Silicone
White RTW Silicone
Flowable Silicone.

The color is important, because the plan is different sizing:

Black: .555
Red: .555 and 888-sized Slim Pad Size (Textured. Don’t know how I’m going to do this yet)
Blue: Slim 888 slim pad size
White: .555
Clear (Flowable): .555

Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying these will be done in a month, but, if these come out well, I WILL be selling them.

Anyway, as of right now, these are the items I will have to buy:

Silicon (all 5. Only about $5 a bottle, though.)
20mm Hole Cutter (About $4.50)
14mm Hole Cutter (About $4.50)
Sticker Maker ($20)
Some sort of textured item to make Red Textured Pads (Dunno price range)

So, I’ll be starting w/ about a $60 target :slight_smile:

I feel like this will be a VERY good investment, especially if I can get it right :slight_smile:

I’ll update you guys on the way.

Oh, and, please don’t ask to test. I’ll offer later on once we’ve got pads.
UPDATE: I FOUND TEXTURED PAPER!!! The best thing is, the Red is going to be called Tropic Pads, and, well, the texture is wavy 8)

Sounds cool. I hope it turns out well.

Me too. I’m going to be looking for other pad materials as well.

It is fun to do but getting the right size hole punches is not so easy and certainly not $4.50. The sizes you mentioned are not exact and therefore won’t fit perfectly. The correct size punches can be had but I’ve only seen them costing ridiculous amounts. Hopefully I can get mine made in the next couple weeks and they will be easily accessible.

For a hat pad? Yes, the are.
http://www.euro-yo.com/acatalog/General_Yo_Gen_Pads.html

And, on further inspection, you are correct, unless a hole SAW works. Which they say is used for ceramics.

EDIT: Molding didn’t work too well.

I’m going to go pick up some Flowable Silicone or RTV, or Whatever my Hardware store has sometime around this weekend, and I’m going to make pads in a way I never thought of - Make pads IN the response groove. This would provide the pads and save the need to buy them. I might do this if the pads turn out well.

And, I will make them pads and not just Silicone. :wink:

I will also experiment with Plastidip.

try looking for a metal panel that has a small waffle texture on it, and for the silicone try actually mixing them. you never know you could come up with a perfect recipe for sili pads!

p.s. you might want to look up a good nonstick spray for the panel.

good luck!

For the pad itself, try spreading it on a piece of wax paper, let the silicone dry, peel it off, and then cut it and feed into the sticker maker.