Designing a yo-yo accessory: Is this correct?

From what I understand so far, the first key to success is a good initial throw. It also seems that while a good throw comes more naturally and consistently to a more advanced player, they still may have times when they struggle to get a decent throw. What generally determines the quality of a throw is the strength, straightness, and string tension.

This is all based on my current understanding, so please correct me if I’m wrong. Or elaborate on anything if you so desire.

Now on to a few questions. Any answer no matter how short or long is very helpful.

• Are there any tricks or tips that you use or have used when trying to get a good frontstyle and/or breakaway throw? Both helpful and unhelpful are good, just specify which.
  • What cues you use to gauge the quality of your throw? (what you see, feel, hear, etc.)
  • How do you gauge your string tension now vs. when you were first starting out?

Thank you for any and all answers!

1 Like

Throw quality can usually be determined by how straight the yo-yo is (lack of tilt) and lack of throw vibration. By that I mean even if a yo-yo is completely smooth in itself, if your throw isn’t great it can vibrate until you adjust it by touching it with a finger or just after a few string hits. This issue is more pronounced with wider yo-yos.

2 Likes

@Durfee said everything

/thread

3 Likes

A good and balanced throw does help, but actually I’ve seen pro players throwing not a perfect breakaway or rather a pretty tilted one(no it’s not a horizontal) but still got through a long complex combo.

So maybe all you need is a good throw, no need to get it to be a PERFECT throw.

3 Likes

I was gonna say the same thing, I’ve seen some competitors work through some pretty shakey regens or make small corrections as they’re on the string.

1 Like

The video @AndreBoulay made in The yye trick ladder about strong throws really helped me out. Having your arm straight as possible while throwing, and the moment you stop your arm have a lot to do with a quality throw. Both for the power and cleanliness of the throw.

I still check my tension the same, but now I do it on a front throw instead of a break away. Just because I’ve learned easier ways to adjust the tension from the front style.

2 Likes

I would say that string tension doesn’t really effect the quality of the throw all the much. It comes into play while yo-yoing, but if you’re just focused on the initial throw it doesn’t have that much impact.

I saw you mentioned a friend of yours inspired this idea, have you picked up the hobby as well? It might be helpful to go through the learning process yourself to understand first-hand where your ‘accessory’ can be useful.

6 Likes

I have! I am still at the basic of the basics, but it has been really helpful and a fun bonus that isn’t always in the projects I do. It gives me a much firmer grasp on a users initial experience, as I have joined in on the fun and frustration that is throwing.

5 Likes

It’s a slippery slope, be careful!! :joy:

1 Like

At the end of the slippery slope is the rabbit hole we’ve all fallen into and haven’t come back from. Pretty fun down here.

3 Likes

Nobody down here but us :rabbit:s

2 Likes

And PINEAPPLES

4 Likes

And just what does this have to do with designing a yoyo accessory?? :crazy_face:

Absolutely nothing because vaccines don’t cause autism.

Pen pineapple apple pen
:pineapple::pineapple::pineapple: