Deshielding my Peak bearing

I’m trying to take the sheilds off my Peak Bearing (whichever bearing comes in the Peak). I’ve been going at it with a needle for a good 20 minutes now and I haven’t even come close to etting off.

Anybody have any advice on getting it off?..before I hit it with a hammer

I’m assuming the hammer has some sarcasm with it?

It’s tough the first time you try it. Before you can take the shield off, you need to take the C-clip off. In the following picture, find the side of the C-clip that corresponds to the one with the red arrow. Get the needle under it and pry it out. The C-clip is along the edge of the shield if you didn’t know.

Also, give a search of the forum. There’s lots of other topics on the same subject that have lots of good information.

There’s the problem… I’m left handed so I can only go at the harder side.

Fantastic. My yoyo quieted down but now it’s insanely responsive. Why does that happen everytime I lube the bearing?

Too much lube. How often do you lube your bearing?

I had this same problem with my Marmot’s bearing. I took the sheilds off, put in a tiny drop of YYJ thin lube, aand now it’s super responsive.

Must just be a issue with the CLYW bearings. Maybe the balls are packed too tight or something. ???

you guys could try lubing them, then sliding it onto a pencil or something and just keep spinning it to work the lube into and onto all of the balls inside, idk, to me it seems like what is happening is the lub gets into the bearing but doesnt actually go anywhere, kinda like putting drops of water on the face of a penny, the surface tension hasnt reached a breaking point to allow the fluid to flow freely. I could be a genius or a village idiot, either way, what can it hurt?

First, please don’t double post. :wink:

That drawing is just an example. You actually have to look at your particular C-clip to see how it’s oriented because it could be reversed from my drawing.

I’ve seen the clip, it was just like the drawing. I was still trying to go for the hard side though XD

I only put one drop in. I only lube it when the bearing gets responsive and loud. (The same thing happened to my 888x. I put 1 drop of lube in. It’s loud and comes up if I hit the back of my hand).

You only need like one little drop at the end of a needle.