Dark Magic 2 love

I refresh this kinda topic every once in a while. When I first started I found Yoyo Expert and @AndreBoulay. I had the have the DM2. I found one in black and snagged it a while ago. This is what I learned most of the trick list with, then the Shutter.

However I pulled out the DM2 again this weekend, now I have the Andre special red, and they are still amazing. Honestly love throwing them. Who is with me on this?

@AndreBoulay when are we going to see a DM3? Not sure what else you can do to improve it.

5 Likes

POM + SS/Bronze/whatever rings similar to an X-Con Pro would be really sweet.

3 Likes

I regret not keeping any YYJs. Out of the plastic stuff Kickside and Bolt felt leagues ahead of the other plastic yyjs.

But Dark Magic and Hitman were definitely the standouts for hybrids. DM won at least a few national titles, Hitman won worlds. Speeder obviously was used to great success by Mickey but didn’t seem to resonate with the community as a whole as much.

I wonder how much of the DM’s status has to do with how many people Andre helped and inspired, both in person and through his online efforts, which were some of the earliest video instruction available and still hold up today.

6 Likes

I totally agree. I know I wanted one because of those tutorials.

1 Like

I missed YYJ completely during my hiatus from throwing from the late 90s to the start of 2020. But I have picked up a few in building my collection. Also have a Lyn Fury, Hitman, and Journey.

5 Likes

I don’t have the og Dark Magic. I wouldn’t mind snagging one. The poison frog was my favorite color just couldn’t find one.

2 Likes

Love the dark magic, very fun throw!!!

2 Likes

I had 3 of them. Sold the red w/black rims and another I don’t recall. Kept the blue w/gold rims. Love how it plays and how it looks. Didn’t care for the original because of the star burst response. Don’t recall if it was hybrid - star burst and O-ring or if it was dual starburst.

2 Likes

First one was hybrid.

I still throw my red og DM and it’s still my favorite of all time. I have two gray (thin) spacers on each side with a concave bearing.

I also have a brown DM that I haven’t used except one throw when I first got it. Technically it’s transitional, but the color mix makes it look brown. Andre helped me find it…I remember like it was yesterday. I’ll take a photo of it later.

3 Likes

Ah the old “buy two YYJ hybrids so I can have dual o ring response.” At least some of the more popular ones in their line had both options. I also remember sending a starburst half to someone to silicone for me.

3 Likes

Actually I did that with a Black Knight. Traded a guy who wanted an all starburst version.

3 Likes