Current yoyos that play like YYJ Dark Magic 2

Just curious, in case my friend wants his back. Whats a current throw that plays similar?

1 Like

You can try to find one of these…

3 Likes

Ive seen em pop up on the bst. So its pretty similar in play then and shape?

Oh yeah it looks very very similar lol

Future runs are mentioned in the blog post about the Hybrid Fulvia:

I can’t confirm but I wanted to try out the iyoyo night moves for some of that yyj nostalgia.

1 Like

The MONO by At Design Lab was directly inspired by the Dark Magic so the shape is very similar. It’s a bit lighter feeling than the Dark Magic 2 but not quite as light as a Dark Magic 1. It’s a mono metal instead of a hybrid though if you want to stay true to the construction of the Dark Magic.

IMG_3419

The Hybrid Fulvia is a great yo-yo for sure, but I wouldn’t say in play it’s all that similar to the Dark Magic. It’s more that the design construction is similar to old YoyoJam hybrids.

I’d say go with the MONO if you care more about the play and shape, and the Fulvia if you care more about the construction and the feel that imparts on a yoyo. Both are great yo-yos in their own right though!

6 Likes

Dressel Design’s Monarch is also pretty similar.

5 Likes

If you’re okay ordering from China and buying a yoyo that’s brand new but been sitting in a factory for around 6-7 years. But if you want something that plays like the dm2 you could just get one of the cheap but awesome Chinese versions

Like what?

Here’s my cheap but awesome Chinese take on a yyj hit man. At least that’s what I’ve been told.

But like whered you find it

Pm me

I got one of these now. I gotta say it moves a little heavier on string but plays better i think? I like it

2 Likes

I found the knock off hitman a week or two ago. I think I’m gonna order one. Did they send a random color or did you get to pick? I think that’s what the website I was looking at was saying.

Thanks for picking one up! Yea they’ll play a bit heavier bc there’s more rim weight but I imagine it’s what modern YYJ stuff would feel like

1 Like

I shared my monarch at the DMV yoyo meetup today folks liked it. I still love mine

1 Like

Monarch is amazing!

New Platic Luftverks match that feel to me. YYJ had the metal rims, but didn’t play like there was much weight there.