HYBRID FULVIA by LUFTVERK! Absolutely Stunning!

Hybrid-Fulvia-Feature

Based on the original Plastic Fulvia design, the Hybrid version features the same plastic “Injection Machined” construction but with an aluminum weight ring. During the design stages of the Hybrid Fulvia Jeff at Luftverk’s main goal was to try to capture that feeling and sound of old school YoYoJam yoyos. He noticed that the feel of other Hybrid yoyos on the market used a heavy metal axle system (usually a machined aluminum center). This meant that the weight distribution felt a bit different than what an old school YoYoJam actually was - an injection mold center with a super light captive nut.

Luftverk-Hybrid-Fulvia2

He knew that he could get closer to this feeling if he used the Injection Machining technology he developed for the Plastic Fulvia. Then it would literally be a one to one clone of the original YoYoJam construction. Not somewhat like it - but exactly the same.

Layout

He submitted the designs and hoped for the best, since for him it was uncharted territory to make a yoyo that was like this. On paper it made sense that it would feel the same but reality is often a different story.

Luftverk-Hybrid-Fulvia

Jeff carried the first prototype around for months and let a bunch of the locals try it. It was funny because the newer players liked how it played, but it didn’t connect with them the same way as the OGs who grew up in the same era as me. He knew he was onto something when the OG crowd also laughed hysterically upon the first throw. Their face would light up. Watching them throw this yoyo for the first time was exciting because it also teleported them back in time. You could just tell. Many of them haven’t thrown a YoYoJam for the best part of 10 years. The sound of the hollow plastic, the feel of the aluminum rings. The only thing missing would be the loose cap that rattles around!. It put a big smile on his face, and with some weight tweaks he started working towards the production run!

DSC_1471_2048x

From Jeff:
The Hybrid Fulvia represent such a deeply rooted part of my personal yoyo journey, so please consider supporting this project. Definitely pushed the limits again on the amount of work, time and money into one yoyo, and I appreciate everyone who has given me feedback!

18 Likes

Is this the same version with the rings that patina or are these aluminum rings ano?

2 Likes

@Bobparty

1 Like

2 Likes

When I first saw this all I could think was why aluminum rings? If nothing; the years of YYJ and the Dark Magic have taught us that stainless steel is a far-better material for rings.

So, why use aluminum? To lessen performance in the name of nostalgia?

2 Likes

My favorite yoyo I’ve brought brand new in a long time. Don’t worry about the performance Geezer, it’ll get you through your matrix combos just fine :joy::joy::joy:

6 Likes

From what I can gather, exactly that. This is the yoyo for someone that wants a new production YYJ or at least as close as you can get.

I refuse to believe this yoyo will play poorly.

I should’ve gotten in touch with Jeff about a review unit omg it looks so good lol

4 Likes

It is quite fun!!! It’s like a thicker lighter monarch, it’s really good for its price, I hope to pick one up at nats

2 Likes

One of my favourite hybrids ever.
Y’all gotta pick one up before it sells out!

11 Likes

I was skeptical at first but they do work quite well without making the yo-yo feel overly rim weighted .

I have tried the monarch , fulvia and the last speedaholic. All three are absolute hits.

I will say for my peeps that love the fulvia that the new speedaholic is an absolute must try also.

5 Likes

Different playfeel! It still performs perfectly fine though - spins longer than some of my bimetals lol

1 Like

These are the same run with the raw rims I believe? Same colours and everything

3 Likes

This is from Luftverk

"All Fulvia that are from this initial batch have raw rings. Seems like there is some sort of mis-information in regards to that. There are no anodized ring versions that exist. We are still considering if we will do a second batch or not based off feedback.”

5 Likes

Really good yoyo….with an interestingly odd exception. I have 2. A white and a clear. Both have the ‘shakes’ as the yo-yo slows down. I throw down a strong sleeper and the yoyo(s) almost immediately start to vibe. The vibe increases as the yo-yo loses speed. Immediately after the yo-yo hits the bottom of the string, the vibe can be true’d with a finger on the edge.
As soon as I take my finger away, the vibe starts up again. The vibe increases to a ghosting wobble.

The yo-yos do play nice if you just keep them moving. Seems the string hits somewhat true the vibe as you move through combos.

I certainly hope I am wrong about this…. But this(to me) seems less of a B grade problem. And more of a design flaw.

There are several things in a design that have to ‘align/mesh’ to keep things in ‘check’>
…. Diameter, shape, width, weight, gap and weight distribution.

There is a fine line between maximum rim weight and stability/borderline instability.

If…… if you ‘fudge a little’ outside the max, you get this imbalance that results in this type of ghost vibe. I didn’t read this in the Bible. I just figured it out from cutting up yo-yos and comparing notes with Frank Difeo over the last 20 something years.

I hope 100 people reply in this thread and every one of them says their hybrid Fulvia is a smooth as a glass Miracle.

But…. If more people chime in with the same impression as fridiger, than this is no ‘a few slipped past QC inspection’.

It may just be a design mishap.

‘We’ will all have a better understanding as people get either their first hybrid or their replacement?

Jeffrey is a great guy and some of my most amazing yo-yos are Luftverk designs.

19 Likes

Missed getting a white one but I nabbed a gray with some Nytro+ string :muscle:

3 Likes

I just got mine. It’s incredible. Like really really good

2 Likes

Just got mine yesterday. Started throwing it today as I was busy yesterday, and have noticed there is quite a bit of vibe that I cannot get rid of. Anyone else have this problem?

2 Likes

I have two and neither have vibe. Contact @jeffreypang911, I believe some b grades escaped

4 Likes

Mine has some vibe too, it’s weird. Starts out perfectly smooth, and then slowly vibes more and more aggressively. I tried to align the halves with the tool from a Shutter EVO but didn’t succeed. I sent YYE an email and they’ll sort me out.

2 Likes