Current state of polycarb dying techniques

Anyone here know the easiest way to dye a polycarbonate yoyo? I’ve got a 000 I’d like to just add a tint to, nothing fancy. Was hoping there’s a simple way. Someone named @Goog I think talked about doing a tutorial, but I don’t think it ever got posted. If anyone’s had reasonable results without chemicals or (ideally even heat), please share!

1 Like

@J-Dye has been using some heat free techniques on 000s and Fulvias to amazing effect. But if you wanted to do a full tint, submersion with an appropriate dye would be the way to go. Regardless, the machined polycarb that Luftverk uses seems to take dye much easier than the older molded polycarb (?) like duncans.

3 Likes

Hi @Lido !
Honestly without hot water or chemical (acetone or denatured alcohol) or anything else you can mix dye with it!?! Don’t think it’s gonna work, I use chemical to mix my powder dye. Never try hot dipping polycarbonate but I know Jeff Anderson made it with very nice results! You need to found powder dye for polyester!! Really important! Best one : Pro Chemical and Dye or Jaguar Idye Poly . Don’t waste your money on Rit synthetic!
And thanks @Orion22 !
I can confirm the new FH1 isn’t made from injected polycarbonate!(maybe the old one?!) polycarbonate don’t melts with acetone!

2 Likes

I think I could deal with hot water. So Pro Chemical and Dye and just follow their directions? Is Disc Golf Dye what you’d suggest?

Yes (discgolf disc dye) you don’t need a lot!
Around 1tsp dye for 16 oz of water
And is hot water! Not boiling water :wink:
Shares the results!

2 Likes

Have you checked here: Useful modification & maintenance guides -- clean, repair, tune, fix yoyos

Thanks. I went through a few of the dye topics here and just wanted to see if there was some new info. You might want to add Pro Chemical and Dye or Jaguar Idye Poly links for polycarb coloring.