Cubing Corner

Received qiyi square 1 today. Seems like an interesting puzzle.

Why is this thread so dead?

Anyway, I got 2 new additions to my obsessā€¦ Addicā€¦ Um, hobby today. My first two non-wca puzzles! A shengshou mirror blocks and a YJ fisher cube! I just solved them both for the first time and theyā€™re pretty funā€¦

Well, Iā€™ve been really busy with school so thatā€™s why I havenā€™t been posting. I have a Skewb and a square one on the way, as well as a competition next weekend.

cool. which square 1?

Qiyi. If the moyu and x man turn out to be better Iā€™ll get them when they come out

The qiyi sq-1 is awesome. There isnā€™t much room for improvement.

Btw, I am impressed with the sticker placement on the yj fisher cube! Theyā€™re spot on for every piece. Thereā€™s a couple bubbles; but, thatā€™s better than terrible placement imo.

The SS mirror blocks stickers are nice too. They have a cool brushed metal look. It adds the center orientation element if you want to line up the ā€˜grainā€™

Iā€™ve heard that the qiyi dies pretty quickly, just like the thunderclap. Modding it can make it better too, but still edge pieces can be lifted causing locking on reverse corner cutting. Iā€™m really excited for the Skewb though.

I heard that the older Qiyi S1s hat problems but the new ones are better. I havenā€™t had any problems with mineā€¦ I had a cap pop once, but I was being rough.

That Dayan M-minx I posted some time back gets loose during solves and sometimes the screw will come all the way out of the core on 1 or 2 sides! Ever hear of a fix for this? I was considering a new core/hardwareā€¦

Pretty sure the new Dayan cores have problems with stripping so thatā€™s pretty standard. A new core should fix it. Or if you want to wait there is a moyu coming out soon.

I lost my cube for about a month. Turns out it was in my tool backpack.

whyā€¦ was it there?

New pyraminx and Skewb pbs. 13:53 on Skewb and 5:08 on pyraminx. Also the first time Iā€™ve solved either of those, and completely intuitively.

I did a solve at the BMX track in between using some tools on my friends bike. I guess it just got tossed in there without thinking.

Got my squan. Can solve it except for parity. Need to get my average down to 45 by Saturday though. Also the weilong gts is by far the best 3x3 on the market right now

whatā€™s saturday?

2nd biggest competition in Canadian history, Calgary open spring. 197 competitors registered.

3.37 official 2x2 average ranking me 20th in Canada. Everything else was pretty bad but I did get a 10.8 single in 3x3, not great but Iā€™ll take it. 9/10 possible parities in 4x4, which led to a few 15 second last layers, which was disappointing and ultimately cost me sub 1.

Thatā€™s really unlikely. That would have annoyed me a lot.

Well I donā€™t care much about 4x4 so only one really bugged me. On last layer at 46 and ended up being 1:01

thatā€™s not great. But what are the odds of 9 parities happening? Like 1 in 2^8?