40 years cube free

Well, I kinda remember when Rubik’s cubes came out. Not a real swell time in my life, and I was able to ignore them and all their iterations for 40 years … until last week.
OK, so I guess I’m a cuber now.
But I still haven’t sat through Gone With the Wind or The Sound of Music, so I haven’t completely gone lame stream.
This is the only way I have learned to solve the puzzle. It’s kinda fun.

20 Likes

it’s never too late to learn! i love cubes, they are so much fun.

7 Likes

Get one of the well reviewed speed cubes. They turn so smooth and nice even if you’re not a speedster. Mine were $8 I think.

5 Likes

you a cuber bro?

2 Likes

Not only do I have too many yoyos, I also have too many cubes. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

how many cubes do you have?

1 Like

Glad to see more cubers here! Keep practicing and you’ll be fast in no time.

6 Likes

Meeehhh, haven’t dug through the collection in a while. For 3x3s, I would venture to guess abouuuutttt… 7 or 8? That’t not including my other sizes or twisty puzzles.

5 Likes

In late October of last year I saw that amazon was selling Rubik’s Cubes for $3.44 with free prime shipping…I always wished I could solve the cube and so on a whim purchased it.
Youtube made it very easy. Following a tutorial I was able to solve my first cube within a day or 2! A few days later I had it memorized so I no longer needed to follow along with the tutorial.
I now solve the cube at least 3 times a day. It’s kinda become a fidget spinner of sorts for me. I like doing it when I’m bored or watching tv or something.

I still only know a very basic way of solving it (it’s pretty similar to the method in the video above, but slightly different with the last/top layer). I’m not very fast…It amazes me that there’s people who can solve these things in under 30 seconds.
I average around 1min40secs right now…and my fastest so far is 1min14secs.

Fantastic way to spend $3.50! lol
I’m really not interested enough to invest the effort to learn faster methods/techniques or to buy a speedcube yet…but it is pretty fun!

8 Likes

i have like 15 cubes lol.

5 Likes

A couple variations on the classic 3x3… I have not scrambled the white “ghost cube” yet though… A bit afraid to :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Ghost cube and a Mirror cube! very very cool puzzles.

2 Likes

I stepped through them several times.

2 Likes

um… yes?

2 Likes

I am not an artist. I am a craftsman. :wink:

2 Likes

During the height of the cube craze I was as fast as the people they were showing on TV at the time. I think playing drums and piano helped. I had very quick, very coordinated hands. Then went about 35 years without solving one. A couple years ago I bought a new cube, tried it, and said “I’m getting too old for this.”

4 Likes

I learned the paradiddle once. Once.

3 Likes

I solved the 3x3 for the first time in my life last year. I haven’t memorized the formula. I hate memorization. Also completed the 2x2 4x4 and 5x5. Cubes are fun for sure. I pt then down cause they where cutting into my throwing time.

4 Likes

Fun word is fun! lol

2 Likes

I bought a book and memorized.

Maybe YYE should stock some high quality cubes and put our a few videos on how to solve.

2 Likes