Comparing Markmont Strings

It’s super cool that Markmont re-launched his string line, but I find the models a bit… confusing.

There’s two broad families of string here, I think, and all of these strings are notable for being very tightly wound. Here’s my attempt to TL;DR the description pages after reading them a few times:

Dragon (white) – the original, the classic, extreme durability and speed
Draken (white) – thinner Dragon, “more suitable for competition”
Cumulus Foam (neon yellow) – yellow Dragon, slightly thicker, slightly softer

and

Amy (red/white) – less durable Draken?
Rebby (red) – more grippy Amy

I’m having trouble summarizing a few of these so feel free to chime in anyone who has tried them. I bought the 5 string sampler, so far I’ve tried Draken and Cumulous Foam and I need to get to the rest.

We have a dedicated Cumulous Foam review topic over here.

5 Likes

I have dragons. I do want to try the sampler pack, I might get it soon. But man, that shipping is expensive, $12 for 5 strings idk…

That doesn’t sound right, I’d email them. I bought 5 packs and it was $5 if I remember correctly.

The cheapest I was quoted for shipping to the UK was $25 which is just shy opf twenty flipping quid! For some strings! I would love to support this brand but I just can’t afford to. Gutted

It’s $5 but first class shipping is $6. So shipping is more expensive than the actual string

1 Like

Oh, I’m sorry you meant $12 total, not just $12 for shipping. Misunderstood.

That’s why I ordered 2 sampler packs - so I can sample them twice!

I really like the color and thickness of Rebby. Drakken is too thin for me, though. Still need to try the others.

4 Likes

I have some Rebbys - they’re fun to use and break in nicely too, only caveat is they’re a lil too short for me

1 Like

Yea international shipping is pricey and trust I’m not happy about that either. We’ve got some plans in the works to get a lower price point on international - it’s just gonna take a lliittttllee more time. Wanted to at least make certain folks had ‘an’ option at all vs none to start.

Also yes - you’ll def get your values worth for the cost in general. DRAKEN, DRAGON and Cumulus Foam all can last for over a year ‘per’ string - I wouldn’t think of this purchase like any other string purchase honestly, ‘the cloth different’
:joy::ok_hand:t6:

Also yes - there’s an option to select USPS ground which calculates based on location - that can often times end up being the cheapest option :+1:t6:

5 Likes

Glad you dig Rebby man - per the string length, we’ll be offering ‘long’ options in the near future. Just need to modify our rig first :+1:t6:

4 Likes

Stretch that rig out! Put it on an exercise regimen!

3 Likes

Ahhh yes I just tried 'em and these two are muuuuch more my jam. I don’t care for Dragon / Draken / Foam and their “month” of longevity. That’s way too rough for me!

I hear ya man - diff strokes for diff folks - nothin wrong wit that. I will say that those formulas break in to a diff playness over time if you ever wanna give Cumulus foam another rodeo :+1:t6:

4 Likes

Wait, there are people out there that the standard length of these is too short??? :astonished:

I’m 6’ 5" and I still take a couple inches off of these.

6 Likes

Was thinking on this a bit more last night and I’m going to take the time today or tomorrow to add in specific flat rates for a few diff countries vs just having ‘1’ international flat rate price. Will double back in here once I make the edit

*insert dark-black thumbs up

3 Likes

I hear ya but it’s by weight calculation and ship-to location. Bbbuuttttt if you take the plunge and cop - jam on the string and still feel like the shipping wasn’t worth it, I’ll refund your shipping.

No-biggie-smalls.

3 Likes

Ya, that suprised me too. One of the reasons i like these strings so much is they ship as the perfects length for me. I can grab a fresh string, put a loop on the end and its good to go. No measuring needed.

3 Likes

Having spent more time with all 5 varieties… these are really interesting strings. They are honestly unlike any other I’ve tried, maybe because of the “tight wind”? And any poly string that can successfuly pretend to be a nylon, with nylon like durability, is remarkable in its own right.

I recommend anyone into string definitely pick up the Markmont string sampler pack – I’ve tried a ton of poly strings and ain’t nothing quite like these!

(Personally I still prefer Rebby and Amy overall though)

5 Likes

Thanks to @AaronW for sending me a sampler pack and saving me $12!

After spending a few hours with these strings my first impressions of them are…

I’m liking Cumulus Foam the best. Has a softer feel to it than Dragons and are still quite fast but aren’t ultra whippy like dragons or other trilobal poly strings I’ve tried. They’re nice and thick which I’m a fan of, unlike the Drakens which, although perform well, are a little too thin for my liking.

Dragons, which I bought myself, are still a classic and are my 2nd favorite of the bunch. Drakens are very similar feeling and is basically just a thinner and more mellow dragon. I don’t see myself using these because they’re a little too thin for me but if you’re into thin strings these are the ones for you.

Opposite to @codinghorror I’m liking Rebby and Amy the least. I would describe them as a standard boutique poly like YYSl or standard Zipline with a Dragon twist to them for a little extra longevity and speed. Compared to Dragons though, they don’t seem like they’ll last anywhere near as long. They do seem to hold tension a tad better than the other 3. While they are great, especially if you want something a little more similar to standard poly strings, which is probably why Jeff likes them the most, they are definitely not worth a dollar a string to me due to longevity reasons and I would personally not buy them.

Already bought a pack of dragons a while back and I’ll need to buy a 25 pack of Cumulus Foam at some time.

5 Likes

This is exactly how i feel about the Markmont Formulas. I just picked up a 25 pack of the Cumulus Foam. I do still need to try rebby and amy, though.

2 Likes