Code 2 Nautilus Review

Hey there! I’m a little new to reviews so it might not be the best review. Feedback is appreciated.

For a little background: I have had the Code 2 for a little less than a year now. It was my second full metal.

Now for the review!

Specs (Taken from Yoyoexpert):
Diameter: 56 mm / 2.20 inches
Width: 44 mm / 1.73 inches
Gap Width: 4.85 mm / .19 inches
Weight: 66.8 grams
Bearing Size: One Drop 10 Ball Bearing
Size C (.250 x .500 x .187)
Response: One Drop Flow Groove Pads

Weight:

The Code 2's weight doesn't seem stand-out heavy at 66.8 grams, but it has a heavier feel to it when actually playing it. You may have a little bit of a tired arm after a lengthy play session, but a lot of it depends on the type of tricks that you are doing. I'll touch more on how the weight affects play in the "Play ability" section.

Shape/Gap

The wing shape on the Code 2 is one that I enjoy very much. It really helps with that horizontal trick you have been trying to work on, and it is pretty forgiving with sloppy play. 

These days, many competition grade yoyos have a low wall, which is ideal for horizontal play. The low wall on the Code 2 is a nice tag-team with the wing shape to make a strong choice for horizontal yoyoing. The wide 1.73 inch width of the Code 2 makes string hits nice and easy.

Play ability:

The Code 2 is a very "solid" player. It has a nice "authority" to it. It can go fast, and it can go slow, but it seems to be more of a medium speed player. At slow speeds, the Code 2 feels comfortable, but it feels like it wants to go faster. It's kind of like a right-handed MMA fighter being told that he can only use his left hand. At fast speeds, your hands and arms can start to experience fatigue. With that being said, it isn't a deal breaker. My Code 2 is still one of my go-to throws when I feel like playing aggressively. 
 If I had to pick what category the Code 2 belongs to for general play styles, as in techy or flashy, I would have to choose techy. I feel like flashy tricks can cause fatigue if they are done repeatedly. By flashy tricks, in this case, I mean tricks involving the maneuvering of slack while bouncing the yoyo; I understand if it is hard to picture. Anyways, while playing with it, the Code 2 seems to generate lots of momentum. Do you ever pick up a yoyo and notice yourself attempting different types of tricks depending on that yoyo's feel? Well, a lot of times when I would pick up the Code 2 I would tend to do tricks that take advantage of the yoyo's momentum. In other words, a lot of the tricks that I did involved the yoyo swinging, quicker tricks, and flow.
 The stability of the Code 2 is outstanding. Sometimes I found myself long into a sleeper and recalling in my head, "Wait! This is still spinning!?"   
 Being a One Drop yoyo, it shouldn't be surprising to know that the Code 2 comes out of the box [b]DEAD SMOOTH[/b]. Sadly, my Code 2 has experienced some bumps and bruises, giving it a slight vibe, but it is still close to dead smooth. 

As far as grinds go, you can’t go wrong with a Code 2. Although it isn’t the best yoyo for grinds, it gets the job done. My new Supernova blows its grinds out of the water IMO. For finger spins, the side effect can get in the way, but again, they can be done; however, the stock spike side effects are nice for matador style tricks.
I myself am not very advanced when it comes to horizontal, but with the Code 2, I feel a type of confidence when I tilt my arm for that horizontal throw. I know that the Code 2 can be forgiving, and the stability also helps keep you going when you are trying to hit those long combos.

Conclusion:

The Code 2, IMO, has little personality, but makes up for this in pure performance. It is one of my favorites and gets a lot of playing time from me. If you are on the fence about buying this yoyo, and if you are looking for a yoyo to rock the stage or practice your aggressive play style, BUY IT!

GREAT review. This is a lot better reciew than some in the past. The only thing I could think of to make it better would be to add comparison pictures of the Code 2 and others. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll be sure to remember comparison pictures for my next review.

This is one of the better reviews I have read in a long while. Outstanding description, well explained.

Thanks!!