Code 2 or La Goutte?

Which do you like more? I have heard and read a lot about the Code 2. It seems to be a pretty good overall throw. I have not heard as much about the La Goutte. How do they compare?

There’s not a huge amount of information out there on the ‘La Goutte’, but in my humble opinion it is a terrific throw. I own both a Code 2 and a polished La Goutte and they are really quite different yoyos. I’m sure you have the specs but as the first follow up post here goes:

Code 2:
Diameter: 56 mm / 2.20 inches
Width: 44 mm / 1.73 inches
Gap Width: 4.85 mm / .19 inches
Weight: 66.8 grams

La Goutte:
Diameter: 53.95 mm / 2.12 inches
Width: 42.80 mm / 1.68 inches
Gap Width: 4.45 mm / .17 inches
Weight: 63.6 grams

These are taken straight from this wonderful site. As far as my humble and inexperienced opinion goes, the Code 2 is the archetypal ‘learning’ yoyo. It is a little weighty and plenty sizable, and it will sit happily spinning at the end of the yoyo string for what seems like days. It has the excellent side effects options for you to play around with the weight distribution, and it has a wide catch zone, allowing you to land anything you desire. It is readily available and you can probably pick up a good colorway through the BST if you like that kind of thing. It will grind and pop, and has a shape which, whilst not ‘organic’ exactly is probably a ‘classic’.

Now the La Goutte. I adore this yoyo. I mean love it. It won’t spin as long as the Code 2, and is smaller in the hand, and the polished version isn’t the best grinder, but this is extreme fun. And even for my slow (and probably laborious) style, just a wonderful yoyo to play with. It is (as far as I’m concerned), very stable and has a very good width of catch zone when you consider its reduced diameter. The thing hops and flies around like crazy if you push it, but will glide smoothly when desired. It is just a treat. It feels great in the hand, and has a satisfying clunk at the bottom of the string on a throw which seems as if it were stolen from a yoyo 5 grams heavier. In fact it’s typically only when you try a hop that you realize how light and slightly crazy it is. Pop in the concave bearing and it’s smooth like a gravy sandwich, and will happily go through anything you throw at it.

While I think the Code 2 is probably the acceptable answer to the question you posed, I think the more fun and exhilarating choice is the La Goutte. I really don’t want to come off as disliking the Code 2, I don’t, I think it’s an exceptional piece of engineering and a brilliant design, one that will last a lot longer in the mind than many throws, and one I always want in my collection. But pick up a showy grind finish gold La Goutte if you can find one and really just have a blast!

Hope that’s in some way useful, and remember that’s only one poor throwers opinion!

I’ve heard great stuff about both of them, and since you’re struggling to find stuff on La Goutte, here’s a review I found pretty good:

It’ll come down to preference probably, but hopefully this gives a little more insight to the X3 yoyo you’re looking at.  :slight_smile:

Good luck!

1 Like

Sorry I should also add that there is an excellent sniffy-yo review of the x3 throw. I don’t have the link to hand but I’m sure you can find it if you head to his site.

The real question is La Goutte vs. Cascade because they are ridiculously similar. I vote La Goutte. It’s amazing. X3’s best throw, one of the most nifty, fast, smooth, floaty, perfect throws out there. I do not think many throws attain what it attains. In my opinion crushes the Code 2. Also (barely) crushes the Cascade.

I have one final point to add here which is that N8dogg discussed the Cascade, and that is an important/interesting point. I have just ordered a GZR cascade (I really like the idea of an additional bit of weight, for hopefully a bit more momentum!) which I should get in the next few days. I will try and make a direct comparison between this and the X3 once I’ve thrown it a bit, but both the Cascade and now the slightly weightier option are available as well.