Iowa State Fair Yo-Yo Competition
Saturday, August 17 • 4 p.m.
Registration: 2:30 p.m.
Fairview Stage sponsored by Coors Light with media sponsor KCCI 8 News
Contact: Send a PM to BanjoSpins and I’ll get back to you ASAP
Rules and Contest Information
1. The yo-yo must be caught with one hand and not trapped against the body.
2. If more than five inches of string remains outside the yo-yo when caught, it will be
considered a miss.
3. Any throw made while in the trick circle (or box) counts as a try.
4. Any yo-yo may be used. Same yo-yo must be used for all tricks.
5. No rigging of yo-yos or string allowed.
6. The contest organizer shall be free to adjust the number of repetitions recommended
for various tricks based on the level of competency of the contestants.
7. Loop-the-Loops must be done with feet fixed in one position within the trick circle.
8. Judges’ decisions will be final and not subject to appeal.
9. Ribbons will be awarded.
Each contestant will get two tries for each trick. If the trick is completed on the first try,
the player will receive five points. If it is completed on the second try, three points.
If the trick is not completed in two tries, zero points. The contestant with the highest score wins; tie breaker will be whoever can do the most consecutive loops.
1. Sleeper 5. Around the World
2. Forward Pass 6. Loop-the-Loop
3. Walk the Dog 7. Brain Twister
4. Rock the Baby 8. Man on Trapeze
Competition will begin with one minute rounds set to music and will advance to two or
three minutes in the final round. Each round, half of the contestants will be eliminated
(depending on the number of entries, subject to change by discretion of the judges),
leaving the other half to advance to the next round. Judges will score entrants on trick
complexity, trick originality, stage presence, speed, smoothness and style.
I’d love to see a great turn out this year. Admittedly numbers have been slim in the past. I know we have some great talent in our neck of the woods. What do you say we step it up and really turn this into a popular stop at the great Iowa State Fair this year with outstanding performances!