CLYW V.S. Bi-metal!

Clyw

any yoyo that spins is one that i will play with

really?? Never heard of em… Wonder if they’re good.

What is a CLYW?

I prefer Bi Metals. I feel like CLYW builds their company around hype and not making good yoyos. Don’t get me wrong, there are some good clyws but many of them just seem to be like other versions of a great yoyo that does not need improvement (the chief).

Below: Chief, Orca, Bonfire, Scout
It is like comparing a golden delicious apple, to a red delicious apple

The things you are saying… they do not make sense… :wink:

1. The profile of a yoyo doesn’t really tell you how it plays.

2. Turning Point, famous for their bi-metal lineup… almost all share the same profile. So “I prefer bi-metals, CLYW is kind of samey” doesn’t make sense.

3. Anyone who has played the CLYW yoyos knows they are excellent. Within that company you’re bound to find a few that you’re not that keen on (for me, the earlier stuff like Wooly Marmot). But they definitely make good yoyos.

4. No yoyo is more hyped than the Draupnir, and no trend is more hyped than bi-metal. So to accuse CLYW of building around hype while positioning bi-metals as a counter-example is more than a little hypocritical.

5 Likes

I find that turning point is kinda on the old yoyorec model where they take one good shape and then play with it. Add weight or make it a bit smaller or bigger to fit everyones needs. Even make it bimetal if there’s enough interest in that said shape. That said they have 3 very good profiles they build off. You can also develop a general idea by looking at the profile of a yoyo. A v shape is generally going to be faster than an H shape.

Also a yoyo playing excellent is dependent on the persons opinion. There’s about 3 CLYW’s I actually enjoy but that’s because they just don’t fit what I look for.

Also still think clyw is more hyped than bimetals considering there’s still people that will only have clyw in their collection. Don’t know many other brands that are coveted like that.

1 Like

I think this question can be answered, and you can compare CLYW to Bi-Metals, if you have the experience to do so. If you have tried all CLYW models, and you’ve tried all bi-metals that have been made, I think you can answer the question. Basically, if you put all CLYWs on the left, and put all Bi-Metals on the right, which group would you prefer to own, the pile of CLYWs, or the pile of bi-metals? I haven’t been into collecting bi-metals per se, and I’ve been keeping up with CLYW a lot more, so I don’t have the experience to really say. But, someone out there might be able to answer this, and actually give an educated opinion. I don’t think it’s a bad question at all, it’s just a question very few people can answer. That means it might actually be a good question.

Can I just point out how only two of the yoyos you showed here look similar? The Chief and the Scout (and even then there are clear differences). Plus you didn’t show their hub designs which are drastically different from one another. Saying that the Orca is just a tweaked Chief is like saying that the Shutter is just a slightly different Genesis.

The only CLYWs that are really very similar to others are their sequel yoyos (e.g. Gnarwhal 2, Wooly Marmot 2, etc).

I really don’t think that this is a very good question as it is comparing two things which are different on a very fundamental level. One is a brand of yoyos which has been around for many years with a large degree of variation not just in terms of shapes but now in terms of materials (plastics and soon a bimetal). The other is a design choice which has only really started to gain headway in the past two years.

It’s like trying to compare Bethesda games with PC games, sure, they are both games but there is not really anything else you can compare between them (and there is overlap). A better question might be monometals vs bimetals or Sengoku vs CLYW. The first question is still incredibly broad, but now you are comparing two things which are within the same category at least.

Most Yoyorecreations especially the older models also looks almost exactly the same each other, compare Sleipnir, Clash series, Stargazer, Overdrive, Dreadnought, Dreadnought G, Messiah, Fragment, list goes on, but they each plays “very” differently.

Simply not true. :wink:

A light H shape is going to play faster than a heavy V shape. And within a similar shape (which was the point I was actually addressing), a rim-weighted version of that profile is going to play differently than a mid- or center-weighted version of that shape. What happens inside the cup is usually at least as important as what happens in the profile even for dissimilar profiles… but definitely when the profile is similar, the cup tells the story.

I do agree that Clyw make excellent return tops and that can not be argued. I just feel that nowadays, many of Clyw’s yoyos are the sames. I have nothing against Clyw, I just do not think that they are the absolute best on the market.

I also agree with you on turning point’s Bi Metal line. Though many Bi Metals are similar, they are not all made by one company.

The Draupnir is a very hyped yoyo, It may no live up to all the hypes it gets, but it is a very nice yoyo. Clyw has the Yeti and it is known to vibe, break, and strip axle, yet they can be found on ebay for hundreds of dollars. The Yeti was just as hyped as the draupnir but barely lived up to the hype.

So as I was saying, Clyw has lately been making a lot of yoyos that are very similar. That is why I prefer Bi metals because they are every company’s best effort of making the next great yoyo.

I can see it both ways. The way I understand it Greg basically saying there might be certain CLYW that is better than certain bi-metal, and there are certain other bi-metal that are better than certain CLYW, this contradicts itself. The question can’t be answered unless you take one certain CLYW and one certain bi-metal and compare them each other, and only by then there is an answer.
TA point was more like comparing two countries. There are certain people from country A that are better than people from country B, and vice versa. And we even have people who is a registered citizen of both country. But that doesn’t mean you can’t choose a country.
I hope I got that right.
Personally I can’t see the point of this comparison anyway.

That’s how I see it, too, and that’s a point I agreed with. Because it’s the spirit of the original question even if it wasn’t the actual original question. :wink:

Seems like this topic got a little out of hand so I removed some posts. Let’s keep all personal arguments out of the threads please.

For the sake of the OP: Let’s say that “CLYW V.S. Bi-metal” is comparing the collective work of CLYW (No bi-metals have officially been released yet) vs all Bi-metal yo-yos… Its an odd debate, but still a valid debate none the less.

If I really had to pick between throwing any CLYW return top released up until this time or throwing any bi-metal, I’m probably going to pick CLYW. There’s some bi-metals that I prefer over some CLYW, but if I have to decide between all the mono-metal CLYW return tops i’ve thrown and all the bi-metal yo-yos i’ve thrown, i’d vote CLYW because of the variety great of yo-yos they’ve put out over the years.

I’m glad someone gets my point.

Well, I figure it beats answering the same old questions we get on here again and again. Now, I wonder who could actually answer this in the way I had in mind. I think there would be very few who could render an educated opinion. I never got into looking specifically for bi-metals, but I happen to own some throws that are coincidentally bi-metal. The profile of this person would probably be someone who collects, or even more likely, trades an awful lot, and tried a lot of yo-yos. I can answer only based on what I’ve tried. I’ve tried all CLYW except a few. And, I haven’t tried nearly as many bi-metals, but I have some. Here’s how I see it:

1. All CLYW I own (as a group) vs. All Bi-metals I own (as a group), I’m choosing CLYW.
  2. Each of my CLYW individually vs. My favorite Bi-Metal individually, I’m choosing the bi-Metal.
  3. All CLYW I own vs. My one favorite bi-metal, I’d choose CLYW as a lot (not as obvious a decision as one might think).
  4. My favorite CLYW individually vs. All my bi-metals, I’d definitely pick the bi-metals.

blizzard will be both bi metal and clyw?

Read the thread before you comment on page 3, we’ve moved past that man…