CLYW Rules (A FG Wooly Marmot Review)

Hey, what’s up guys. Been a while since I had the chance to write a review, but I had the fortune to find my FG Marmot that I’ve been waiting on for 3 weeks, and I couldn’t help but write a review. So, here we go :slight_smile:

THIS IS A REVIEW ON A FOOLS GOLD WOOLY MARMOT. IT WON’T SEEM LIKE IT THOUGH. BE WARNED.

Specs:
Diameter: 50.2 mm / 1.98 inches
Width: 40.6 mm / 1.59 inches
Response System: Flowable Silicone
Weight: 65.20 grams
Bearing Size: Size C Bearing

First Impressions:
Well, the yoyo arrived in an Air Mail package taped with CLYW tape. How much more could you ask for? Well, when I opened up that box, I found a cardboard box labeled with the Samurai Marmot - Also ridiculously amazing. I chose the black color, and, when I opened the package, it was simply beautiful. Smooth to the touch, and simply joyful to look at. It also came with a stylish yellow-green string :slight_smile: I found no ano flaws, but, I’m not complaining :slight_smile:

First Throw:
Okay, this thing is a B-Grade…
But I’m having a hard time believing that. I mean, there is a vibe on a bad throw, but on my good throws, theres vibe, but usually I can only feel it to the touch. On the weight, the yoyo feels light, but is simply perfect. Its speed matches this feeling. You can play at ANY speed. I found it’s fast, slow, mid-speed, and anything else you can think of. You play it at what you want. It’s smooth through the air. I’ve had no trouble with the yoyo. It simply glides. There is no other way to put it.

Grinds:
Well, I picked black. Turns out it’s not blasted, so I can’t really help here. Mine doesn’t grind well, but I’m not a grinder usually, unless I’m doing an arm grind or something.

Response and Bearing:
If found out the joys of Flowable Silicone today. I never knew how amazing it was. On the first throw, a bit responsive. After about 10 total play time minutes, dead unresponsive. I have never met such quality.

The bearing is nice. It’s not loud, but not quiet. A happy medium. Long spin times as well. Not much to say here :slight_smile:

Final Thoughts:
I never thought I could get so much out of $65. Never. Ever. But this yoyo is simply amazing. I’m truly in love. Now I’ve got a new yoyo for videos, as well as a new pocket throw. Guys, if you don’t own one, I can’ stress enough to get one.

And to pay homage, My marmot is going to make 2 journeys this year:

1. To Casey Moss (Icthus) for a good ole’ Sodablast.
  2. To Vendetta for a sexy colorway (Nothing wrong w/ black. But, Why not? I love it.)

I’m sitting here looking at my Fools Gold Marmot and recounting how identical my experience was with it. Same Samurai Marmot box, same 3 week wait, same play experience, only difference is mine is the Washed Out Team Edition and was missing silicone in one of the halves. No biggie - it gave me the chance to test out my new clear RTV. It’s too bad you didn’t get a blasted one though. CLYW’s beadblast is the best I’ve ever tried, and I’ve tried just about all of the major beadblasts out there.

But yeah it’s true what you said, you wouldn’t be able to tell these things are Fools Golds unless you have a production model to test it up against. And even then it’s only a very slight and minute difference. I was lucky enough to get mine during the Boxing Day sale, so I got mine for less than $60 including shipping ;D. Absolutely fantastic throw from an absolutely fantastic company.