clyw hype?

That’s a coin toss some consumers (such as myself) would spend a little more knowing where our money is going. Look at the kitteh it sold for quite a bit more because where the proceeds went. Live strong bracelets, TOMS, and anything AIDS or cancer related.

[quote=“mls5stokes,post:40,topic:38781”]
A lot of people care very deeply about the effects their spending practices have in the world beyond only obtaining a product or service. And from the standpoint of “value” in the way that you have articulated it, the fact that CLYW products continue to sell out is all the evidence anyone needs that his products apparently are worth what he’s asking. If his products stop selling, I’m sure he’ll feel the need to re-evaluate his price structure. But frankly, what all of this comes across as is people simply complaining that something they want isn’t as cheap as they might like it to be. On the other hand, it must feel cool to Chris to have this sort of predicament - people complaining because they want something (at least in some cases) and still finding all of his products sold out. :slight_smile:

I feel another thing to consider is the value added by the branding and packaging. Opening a clyw box is more of an experience than say, something in a generic clear plastic hang card.

This, to me, adds significantly to the value of clyw’s exceptional quality Yoyos.

Sniffy-Yo.com
@Sniffyo on twitter

the main thing i look at when i look at clyw is that …

i can spend 500 on clyw stuff .. and if i don't like something .. B/S/T .. and ill most likely get my back!!

you can’t say that with most brands these days

Hi! … ya I don’t get it either. haha … Its not like we run a marketing campaign or have like business students analyzing our sales or anything … I have no business training, I am just trying my best and figuring this ‘business thing’ all out for the first time. Mostly I just like to make cool stuff and if I had the opportunity to just design return tops and work with amazing artists then I’d jump on that in a heartbeat.

Just wanted to clear a few things up, our run size is determined by a couple things:

• how much our manufacturers can handle at a time
  • how much I can afford to pay for a run at a time
  • how long it takes for our anodizer to do a run
  • how long it takes me to assemble, stamp boxes, ship, etc …

That magic number I’m finding is 200-250. This is also a good number for seeing how sales go and if we should do another run or not.

So it’s not really like something I plan to do, just something that accidentally happened. Plus our anodizer seems to be hit or miss sometimes with colours/quality so I do several colours just incase to decrease the risk. I also want to see what’s possible with anodizing and what is possible when you combine a few colours/effects. It’s fun for me … haha … also something to note is that I have not found an anodizer in Canada that can do the fancy anodizing we do. So I have to ship to the USA and pay for shipping twice, plus duties on that service as well. So if you wonder why our pricing went up, that is part of it. I had no choice, because previously (2006-2010) I was barely making anything and stores were making almost twice as much as we were.

Yes CLYW is my full time job now. Just told my dad on my birthday last month. That was hard to do. But I think he supports the idea now. Quitting a well paying job in the oil industry to do yoyos for 1/3rd of what I used to make may have not been the best idea in his eyes … but gotta follow my dreams and see how far I can take CLYW.

Anyways … I have some photos to take and then more AC boxes to stamp ;D

Pip pip,

C

9 Likes

I hope to pick one up on the second run !! Hurry up dude lmfao … Let me know if you need help stamping some boxes. ;D

Btw thanks for clearing things up!!!

Not to be rude, but that’s assuming smoothness makes it a better yoyo. No yyf hate intended.

CLYW is a company that makes really special yoyos, you kinda feel like every CLYW is a piece of yoyo history

(this is long but maybe it will help you understand why I want to spend $145 on a yoyo)

WOW It was hard to choose which thread to post on. The YYF HATE or the CLYW HYPE EDIT: ENDED UP POSTING ON BOTH. Both of them have been graced with their respective ambassador (as well as the brain behind the code2). I posted here because I’m ready to throw some love at CLYW and have no HATE for YYF (although I am curious about the Jensen Kimmitt drama after leaving YYF as well as the controversy behind who really designed the Avant Garde)

My first yoyo was a Yomega X Brain when I was about 12 (im 25 now). I didn’t know how to do many tricks and I lost interest in my teens. Recently a buddy of mine bought a Yomega Maverick and started watching the tutorials on YYE which got me excited to try it out again.

We both quickly got C sized bearing YYF’s to take to the next level. I got a Northstar based off of how awesome Jensen’s 2010 championship video is and then my buddy kinda one upped me and got a dv888.

As you can see I and many people like me fall into this category. After he got the dv888 I went and did some serious research because I felt like his dv888 was dramatically superior. I wanted an all metal and with the help of YYE forums I got my hands on the last blue onedrop 54 on YYE. I love it and I feel like its matches up quite well with my buddy’s most recent investment a: CLYW Canvas.

Personally I prefer my 54 over his Canvas and I am dying to get a code2 but my next goal is actually to get a second run CLYW AC. They have a colorway that personally is my favorite that I’ve ever seen. I will plan my work week around purchasing this yoyo lmao!

To me it is a piece of art that you can play with. My 54 is more like a engineering marvel but the simple blue color actually looks better to me scuffed up with a few concrete battle scars. IF I can get the AC I want, I will treat it more delicately because if I can keep it in mint condition I can probably sell it for more than what I pay for it because like all things artistic…its market value is more related to sentimental value more so than machining costs + shipping.

So thats my story and how I came to fall into the hype. Its all based on personal hands on experience with the products. Each yoyo I got was vastly superior than the last because I do a lot of research. While I think my 54 is the best I’ve ever used (compared to random cheapo $15 dollar buttefly duncans, the xbrain, maverick, dv888, canvas and northstar) I still plan on getting an AC (and then the code2) even though I kind of NEED a code2 more so than the AC. I really WANT an AC and I will be saddened if I dont get this specific colorway I dare not mention here in the forum as I dont want to shed any added HYPE to it as I want it all to my self.

You know what’s funny about this thread, is almost everybody posting reads the title and then does a positive post defending clyw from negative comments, of which there are none on the thread. That’s how great clyw is, people, including myself, are willing even to fight an invisible enemy.

Sniffy-Yo.com
@Sniffyo on twitter

Now that made me laugh.

thank you sir chris:)

idk. i like most clyw, so im fine with it. clyw makes some great throws…i just wish the cost went down. :slight_smile:

i think if it did … we wouldn’t get the same quality that we expect from CLYW

In your opinion maybe. i like my Woolymarmot WAYYYYY more than my Mutant DNA. i would have thought you would have been around long enough to know that there is no better throw.

People will spend the extra money for a CLYW because there is a high demand. CLYW throws are easy to sell and trade because people know there quality. So I don’t agree that CLYW throw are over priced.

OP wanted this thread deleted but I think a lock is in order.