Clyw finish durability?

I bought my first clyw throw (chief) last week and am curious how others handle general throwing abuse.

My daughter wanted to throw it even though she can’t bind and I let her. She always stands in a chair and places a pillow on the floor just in case of an accident whether it be to the hardwood floor or the yoyo. Well she gently dropped it as that’s her throw style right now and it swung and hit the wooden chair chipping the paint a little. I’m not worried about it as I use it constantly but it did surprise me how easily it chipped.

Have others experienced chipping from barely hitting it against something. My DM2 is beat up pretty bad with one tiny flat spot but have it hit on many surfaces rather hard.

Well, your plastic yoyos color won’t chip off because the actual color is throughout the entire plastic piece. Anodized aluminum is, sort of, like a dye for aluminum that just goes below the surface. If you get a ding, it will show raw metal underneath.

The finish is pretty durable, as long as you aren’t subjecting it to unnecessary stress. The reason your DM2 only has flatspots is because it’s raw, and unanodized, so there is no finish to chip. Most yoyos, even some that are hardcoat anodized will chip if they’re hit on floors. Even though she may have gently dropped it, yoyos do have mass, and carry momentum. Oh yeah, just trying to further your knowledge, the Chief isn’t painted, it’s anodized. :slight_smile:

Oh, I thought he was talking about the plastic, hehe. Yea, raw aluminum has no coating to chip.

I wasn’t sure if he was talking about the plastic or metal, but I assumed the rims because he said there was a flatspot. Either way, both of our descriptions covered both possibilities.

Yea I understand what it is but just figured the ano would be harder to chip than my daughters experience with a softish wooden chair. Like I said though I’m not worried about it though. Am just curious if others have chipped theirs that easily.

Yeah there are chips in my DM2 but I’ve really abused it as it was my first throw.

Lol yea the ano chipped not the paint. It just really surprised me since I figured the chair would be softer than the finish.

It definitely can happen on unsuspecting surfaces. They’re about as durable as any other anodized yoyo though…

If you want to let your kid keep banging your yoyo into the ground, that’s fine. Your yoyo, your issue, not mine. I wouldn’t let someone who doesn’t know how to bind throw an unresponsive yoyo.

CLYW’s, like many, if not most aluminum yoyos, is anodized. It’s some sort of surface coloring treatment that is actually utilizing the oxidation of the aluminum to find a way to get the dye into the surface layer of the metal, while at the same time hardening the outer layer a touch. It’s not paint.

Anodizing can chip, crack, scratch, scrape, wear and otherwise be damaged relatively easily.

Get your kid a Classic or ONE or new Velocity for her abusive enjoyment as she learns the basics.

Cool. That is my main question.

Wow buddy!! Being that she doesn’t hit the floor don’t know where or why you think I’m complaining as I clearly said I’m not worried about it. And I think we all know what ano is as I made a typo and corrected it in a response.

And she has her own yoyos glad you thought of getting her own. That’s pretty smart.

2 Likes

Calm down. It’s important to understand basics of the yoyo. Anodizing isn’t something you need to understand a lot about. It is important to know it’s not impervious to damage. Even so, if you get the time, look up Jason Wong Zero and see pictures of his anodizing. Hands down, his work is amazing. I’ve also have the pleasure and privilege to see and hold and even play some of his work. I hope you get the chance to see this work as well some time in the future. Photos DO NOT do it justice, not by a long shot, and he’s really good at photographing it too!

I saw “proud parents” by their kid a new in the box MVP at a yoyo meet, and the parents REFUSED help and the rest of us watched this kid destroy that new yoyo(as in: useless except as recyclable material now) over the course of a 2 hour pounding. The beaming parents were so proud of their gifted child who was apparently in their eyes “a natural” every single time that yoyo banged into the ground. After an hour, we gave up on that kid and his parents. Couldn’t shorten the string, couldn’t show him the basics, couldn’t teach him to bind, since “wow, look how good he is” was coming from his parents. BANG. BANG. BANG. For nearly 2 hours, until the yoyo broke after being pounded countless times into a concrete surface. The axle finally said “enough” and I think the rest of the yoyo said “just put me out of my misery”.

After he destroyed his yoyo, his parents demanded I hand over one of mine since “you have so many”. I stayed a firm “no”. They got nasty, I closed my case and said “you already let him destroy a $120 yoyo, if you want him to destroy something else, go back into the store and buy something else for him to destroy because he’s not touching any of my stuff”.

Sometimes, the right thing is saying “no”. I may be too hard-headed. I have lines I won’t cross, or maybe should not be crossed with me.

I’ve since learned that “If someone wants to beat the crap out of something they own, then far be it for me to pass judgement”. That’s clearly in a realm of “Stuff I don’t give a crap about”, or SEP: Someone Else’s Problem.

What does anger me is when inconsiderate people borrow my yoyos and then scratch them up, shove them back into my case and don’t even have guts to tell me they did it. Must sure be fun to screw up other people’s stuff, ain’t it? All the fun, none of the risk.

My boy, who is nearly 7 now, and can bind, routinely goes through my cases. He was NOT allowed to touch any of my yoyos until he could bind.

He started with a Brain. Moved to a ONE. I think we put the wider bearing into the ONE so he could learn to bind. He then got a Protostar. After that, I forget what he got next. But, he learned to bind. Then he got very comfortable with his bind on his Protostar. I forget what he got after that. At any rate now, I don’t worry about him going through my cases. He’s also doing 2A, 4A and 5A and I think he’s gonna get started in 3A with his pair of Classics. He also has kendama, pill and spin tops.

In the meantime, encourage your kid to improve with what she has. Understand that your yoyos need “a higher degree of skill and expertise to be used. Once you have the right skills to play an unresponsive yoyo, then you will be able to play these yoyos. Just keep practicing and asking for help so you can learn, and you’ll be there very soon.” That and shorten the strings. I’d also recommend she have her own color of strings so you can tell at a glance “my length/her length” if you go back and forthm. My kid plays “my length” even on his yoyos. He was playing my Code 2 over the concrete at BAC and other than annoying people by being 6 and playing an expensive metal, there’s not a mark on it! I was questioned by many people about my judgement but I know he takes care of my stuff, and they saw “oh, well yeah, he can actually use it”. Picked him up a Go Big at BAC too and they said “are you sure he can use it” and I said “watch” and he threw, caught it, did barrel rolls, a pop and then binded it back. I guess they didn’t see him playing my Jet Set and an Aquarius earlier in the day.

One of my other kids, the eldest, lost interest fast. Mostly, once it got slightly hard, she quit. She has a lot of quit in her, unfortunately. She got a kendama too, lost interest in that I think as soon as the package got opened.

The two youngest, if allowed to have yoyos, would use them to beat the crap out of each other. They have kendamas, and so far they haven’t be used as make-shift battle maces. Then again, they’ll use anything as a weapon.

In the meantime, I suggest to anyone to play over carpet whenever possible. When I’m out and about, I usually go plastics. At home I go with whatever the mood strikes me to use.

I think the issue is here misreading tone in a forum post. I’ve thought a bit about how hard it is to communicate with just text, because the same words can be read in many different tones. I think you both mistook the other for hostile or accusatory.

Anyway yeah I think all anodized aluminum yoyos will scratch or ding equally easily. It takes a pretty significant beating to actually affect play though, so ultimately if you’re not a collector or looking to trade/sell it after a while, a few dings add character and shouldn’t be something to worry about!

1 Like

I didn’t mistake anything. I didn’t assume or see anything hostile or accusatory. Even in my second response, I still didn’t have anything hostile. That is fact. I can only speak for my end of the equation. I just relayed information.

I won’t argue that text based communication is a flat forum. It lacks suitable expression. Inflection and tone are completely lost, which is why I may add other information to ensure I am better understood.

Bottom line is, the OP knows it ain’t paint now.

I did take it wrong maybe but it seemed way off topic the way it read to me. Letting my daughter do a free fall while standing on a chair with a unresponsive yoyo way it will sleep is completely different than “letting her keep banging it into the ground”

The next post may have leant some reasoning behind the first post but…

And knowing the difference in paint and ano was never an issue just typo. But anyway my question was answered that most are equally durable. Was just surprised wood chipped it from a swinging motion was all. It’s very very tiny and no big deal at all.

Even if they aren’t the most durable things in the world, at least CLYW’s finishes look good!

Actually, the anodize itself is quite hard, and very difficult to scratch. What you tend to get is rather the anodize being scratched off.

I’m still curious if the DMII had raw rims, or anodized rims. I have both versions of the DMII. My anodized ones haven’t seen much abuse. Was anyone else dying to know if the OP’s DMII was raw or anodized? Maybe the anodized DMII rims can withstand more punishment than the Anodizing on the Chief. :-\ Hmmm…

Yeah, I was wondering that too. I just assumed it wasn’t an ano’ed one just because those are a lot less common.

Not really. The fact that it isn’t anodized just means that damage isn’t always as obvious. Well, this is true for at least the non-anodized rims.

I think the DM2 rims are polished to a relatively smooth finish. I don’t think they are anodized. However, you can anodize aluminum clean. I’d like to compare a yoyo that was and wasn’t anodized clear, but otherwise finished the same.

I do have one DM2 that has anodized rims and I don’t see it being any better or worse at not showing damage than anything else anodized.

I recently scored a DM1 with black rims and pink body. I don’t know what they did to those rims, but they feel “thick”, almost as if painted. Those black rims would easily show damage if something were to happen.