Clyw finish durability?

I find One Drops with the Pyramatte finish and some heavily anodized 7075 YYF handle dings and scrapes really well. They usually how up and faint white marks or light flatspots.

If the DMII rims on his were anodized, and I don’t know if they are, it seems like it would be possible for it to not show damage as well as a full yoyo. It’s possible that, since the rims on the DMII are a lot thinner than the rims/walls of the Chief, or any other yoyo, that the anodization is able to get “deeper” into the metal making it more resistant to showing raw metal underneath.

Of course, this is just theory. We still don’t know if his are raw or anodized…

Lol. The DM2 is raw and beat up pretty good but I’ve walked dog on many surfaces, hit the ground throwing it many times, and learned to throw with it.

It still plays like new and scratches are minimal. There are just a bunch of them.

This all started cause my daughter wanted to sleep the chief. She knew she couldn’t bind it and had to stand in a chair to release it cause string was too long for her. She just released it by letting it go and when it was swinging at end of the string it hit the chair. She said did that hurt it and I laughed and told her no I doubt it. Then she started crying and showed it to me with a place smaller than a writing pen tip that was shining aluminum where it was chipped. I immediately calmed her down and told her it was ok that I will chip it sometime on accident too that she knew and was taking precaution not to hurt it or the floor when put couch pillow under where she was standing but accidents happen.

I have all kinds of custom fishing gear that have had anoed that seem to hold up rather well to the abuse I put them through on the deck of the boat (rods, reels, etc…).

I was just surprised how easily it chipped and wondered if it was a trait of clyw finishes to chip easily. I throw the chief when walking around shopping with wife at stores so not like I’m not going to hit it against stuff at some point. I’m more careful with my ricochet but still throw it other than over carpet. It’s a throw to me and will get scratches, chips, and dents with time. It’s blue or would spark it. No need to as ill save sparking for a raw one.

I just say now you gave it some personality! :wink:

It’s a sad moment when a throw gets it’s first ding, scuff or flat spot… And then everyone prays to the yo yo gods then, time to move on. More than likely it wont be the last time. It’s common for any thing on a string to get damaged or cause damage.

My little guy used to get upset and cry, not anymore. Damage is gonna happen even when your a pro.

A little hit isnt bad…
Haha I remember I was playing with my Summit at the bank and it fell apart. The two halves were just rolling down these tile floors. All I got was a single pin prick!
Now of course, since the Summit as a collab I don’t know if the ano was fine at the usual place, but heck, my Summit has fallen quite a few times, and it still looks just like new

Yoyos are just toys dude. OP’s kid is careful with OP’s toys, she happened to tap it lightly into a chair. It happens. I’m sorry that the way you think of your oldest child is “she has a lot of quit in her,” I’m sure it makes her feel really great about herself.

OP, in my experience CLYW stuff dings just as easily as other companies’ ano jobs for the most part. It’s really odd but a catastrophic sounding bang into a wall/ceiling/ground can result in the tiniest scratch that I have to look hard to find and the lightest taps can result in a small but easily detectable gouges in the yoyo. I’ll be honest and say I’m not sure I’ve ever even dinged the same yoyo twice and most mine have 0 damage of any sort, aided by the fact I generally throw over carpet, but I think getting the first ding out of the way/not caring about dinging it lets you play more confidently

1 Like

Never seen this happen before with wood. I’ve slammed throws into hardwood floor, laminate, etc … and never experienced a ding that went under the anodization. Sorry about that.