CLYW Advance Scout Released! Who else got one?

mine came with vibe. everything brown touches loses hype. i love my puffins 1 + 2 but after the BvM2 things changed. I think they are made in japan now. Is this true?

Just curious, how bad?

I doubt it, that doesn’t seem economical when OneDrop is so much closer and has already done lots of great machining work for CLYW. Heck, the Chief, arguably CLYW’s most popular model, has had almost all of its runs machined by OneDrop(fact check needed, I’m pretty sure it’s true but I don’t have a source).

One drop is in japan, they just pay Paul Dang to sit in a little room stateside with a webcam all day.

4 Likes

Where would you get the idea that their yo-yos are machined in Japan? They’re all machined by One Drop and have been for quite a while. Also, Steve is awesome, and I like what he’s been doing at CLYW so far

1 Like

One Drop is most definitley in Eugene Oregon, I’m pretty sure Nolan was joking. Currently, all CLYW are machines by One Drop. In the past, I think CLYW has used different machining companies to make their throws in both Canada and the U.S. Also, getting things made in Japan is very expensive. If you meant it in a bad way I think you meant to say China since it’s there that other large companies can save money to get goods manufactured. All throws that are made in Japan are of excellent quality, and if CLYW outsourced the machining process of their throws there then we would all be paying around $300 for CLYW’s. Anyway all of the CLYW throws I’ve used and ourchased have been awesome. I’ve received a flawed throw twice but it was all annodize flaws and YYE made it right by exchanging them. If you have a CLYW that was purchased new and isn’t perfect then just contact the company from which you purchased it and all will be made right.

1 Like

My orange Advance Scout came and as expected is a blast. I say as expected because I love the Chief and the Bonfire is the 2014 CLYW throw that I play the most. This throw is definitely leans towards a melding of the two, but it also seems very similar to the BvM2. In my opinion it plays more similarly to a BvM2 than other CLYW throw. The inner rim on the cup is significantly smaller than the inner rim on the Chief, AC1, Cliff, etc…it’s definitely a rim, much more pronounced than the inside of the BvM2, but I really feel this thing plays closer to a BvM2 than it plays to any other CLYW. And honestly I much prefer this throw to the second Bear Vs. Man. It’s softer in the hand, a tad slower and more calm on the string, “floatier,” if you will, and just makes me go, “yes!” I also really enjoy the solid color. I’ve loved solid CLYWs since the initial Chief run and and always buy as many solids as I can. I know/understand their bread and butter largely comes from revolutionizing return top artistry and splash ano, etc…but solid colors look gorgeous on these throws. The Advance Scout leaves me very intrigued to see how the final Scout plays. This throw is absolutely a worthwhile purchase and is by no means an “incomplete” or “unfinished” throw. It’s a player, through and through. I’m very happy with mine!!! Thanks!!

1 Like

Luckily, “increase hype” was never part of my job description.

The Advance Scout was machined, assembled, and tested for us by One Drop in Japan Eugene, Oregon. We think they do a pretty good job. :wink:

Sorry to hear that you got an Advance Scout with vibe! Sometimes a funky one gets through…it happens, but we sure don’t like when it does. Email me at steve@clyw.ca with your order number to arrange a return. We’re happy to replace it or refund you.

1 Like

Got mine today, it’s fantastic.

Wait, wait. You guys aren’t even assembling yoyos anymore? No wonder its taken you guys so long to get Yetis out, you forgot how to put 'em together! Haha.

I passed on the Advance release, from fear of liking the production model more. I’m sure ill end up with one or the other, though.

Mine is the same color. It hasn’t seen the usual photo shoot or a first throw yet. Nice to know in advance. I’m sure I’ll get the production version too.

Ha ha! Nah, we’re just trying to spread things out a bit, with multiple assembly locations to keep from letting production get bottlenecked at any given point. Growing pains!

Chief, Advance Scout, and Bonfire:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8647/15728131863_c001d04256_z.jpgChiefvsAdvScoutvsBonfire by The TotalArtist, on Flickr

2 Likes