Chop Suey

New Tutorial. Put a lot of work into it. Hope you guys like it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2k815_system-of-a-down-chop-suey-music-video_music

;D

1 Like

I mean no offense, but I didnā€™t follow that tutorial at all. Maybe you could give better explanation of the trick next time?

How long have you been yoyoing, because you are seriously good

I think heā€™s been throwing for 4-5+ years

Sorry it was hard to follow for you!
In your opinion what would be a better explanation?
Iā€™m experimenting with different ideas to create the best tutorial I can.
My idea here is to give a front angle of the entire trick and then each step and element of the trick is broken up into separate angles to show exactly what is going on. I highlighted fingers to show where to pinch.

I could add text but I feel like that just makes things a bit more confusing imo.

Thanks bro! Iā€™ve been throwing almost 9 years now.

Do you compete at contests?

Once in a while. Iā€™ve competed at a few contests over the years. Last competition I competed at was VA states this year. I definitely want to compete more. Just a bit tough with travel expenses.

I actually made a gutteral noise of shock when I saw that first GT. Like, a real, out loud, ā€œI canā€™t believe I just saw thatā€, noise. This is the next trick I learn.

When it comes to making tutorials: I find that the longer you throw, the harder it is to make a tutorial that everyone can understand. After a while a lot of the skills, elements, and general knowledge you acquire become second nature and you donā€™t feel the need to explain each individual part. This is fine when youā€™re showing a high-level trick to a high-level player (read: cabin tutorials, which need zero explanation whatsoever) but can be a problem for entry-level players who perhaps need each movement to be explained in detail. Iā€™d say, given the level of this trick, that youā€™re tutorial is fine. I have no problems understanding it; but if you want everyone, regardless of skill, to be able to understand you may want to add a voice-over explanation or slow-motion or something.

Killer video. Make more.

1 Like

Thanks Ian! Iā€™m glad you liked it! :slight_smile: I definitely understand what you mean. Itā€™s kind of easy to forget that other players might not fully understand certain elements or mounts. I definitely was confused by certain mounts at first such as ladder mount when I first saw it. I just used slow mo for my white ninja tutorial I think I will definitely incorporate all these ideas into my next tutorial. A voice over is a great idea. Thanks for your input!

I canā€™t believe i havenā€™t commented on this already, but that trick is epic.

In regards to it being ā€˜hard to followā€™, this trick is definitely not for new throwers.

As a long time thrower, I understood it very clearly.

Thanks!

Thanks Stuart! :slight_smile: itā€™s epicly hard to land the whole thing consistently lol.

I donā€™t find that hard to believe

sweeet, Iā€™ll definitley be giving that a go. you got some real nice elements in there
:slight_smile:

Thanks Paul! :slight_smile: Hope you have fun learning it!

Nice trick and vid, but like how everyone else was saying, it was very very hard to follow for being a sort of tutorialā€¦ Still looked smooth though!

Any tips for landing that first GT consistently? Iā€™ve been having a beast of a time with it.

I totally understand bro :slight_smile: One thing that helps me is when the yoyo is swinging up and over to land in the gt is to bring your throw hand thatā€™s under to the left subtly and make sure that you keep the string pinched on your non throw hand.