Chess anyone?

That’s gorgeous. Is that purpleheart wood? I always wanted to get a board like that from the House of Staunton, but could never justify the price to myself.

1 Like

I’ve had a chess.com account for a long time but haven’t really used it

lol how do you check your username, I can’t find it…

Thanks!
Yup, its a purple heart and maple from HOS.
I actually found it on ebay for $300. Never seen one on there before or since. Those prices to get them direct are stupid.

Great…
Thanks to this thread i started thinking about that burled walnut and maple board with 2.5” squares i always wanted to have made.
I guess i dont really need an ultima btm

3 Likes

I love Hive, even though I haven’t played it much. I just really like its design.

In fact, I made up a variant Hive set for myself with a Starship Troopers theme using graphics I had originally made for a board game reboot that never materialized.

IMG_0359

6 Likes

Very nice! What are those made of?

They are 30x35mm hex tiles made from the same material as dominoes (the same material as the actual Hive pieces, but not quite as big/thick):

4 Likes

Whos2move on chess.com. Myk Myk , Stringtied and myself have active games.

Egodecayer add me!

Just sent you a challenge.

Those look great. Where did you find them?

https://www.theenchantedgallery.com/beads.html

1 Like

Here’s a side-by-side size comparison:

3 Likes

I use Hive in a course I teach on games, and laser cut pieces to give them. They lack the substantial feel of even the pocket version pieces, but they work. I’ll have to think about doing a “themed” version like you have. It’s a great idea.

2 Likes

You got me sweatin over here

5 Likes

I just discovered this self moving chess board and it looks super cool

I remember trying to find something like this in HS but it wasn’t a thing. Well it is now.

Board moves on its own so you can play OTB chess even if you don’t have an opponent. You can also play against people from chess.com. You can also analyze and rewatch games.

Seems like something that would interest you @zslane since you don’t like online chess

It is pretty pricy though, $350

We are prototyping a portable leather chess set
It’s one of the funnest things I’ve made in the studio

Let me know what you think!

7 Likes

Well, this thread has had a big influence on me. I have rejoined the uscf. I will be going back into tournaments. I also went and had the custom board i always wanted made.

10 Likes

I want one!

Beautiful!