Chess anyone?

If you find it I’d love to see it. What kind of course was this? I teach a board games class, and they make some pieces or boards, but nothing elaborate. We’re also thinking of having a chess board design challenge at the makerspace. Our university is trying to have more chess.
(I like chess okay, but never enough to get good.)

2 Likes

After getting a custom 20” x 20” board made, I was able to set up a full Shogi game using western style Chess pieces:

7 Likes

I keep meaning to learn shogi. I like learning new games more than getting good at games.
Anyone play Hive?

1 Like

I started playing “walk by” chess with my son. You just make a move whenever you feel like it as you walk by the board. Then, when he went to college we would text photos back and forth. Sure you can use an app, but it’s more tactile, and I feel like we make a better connection, like we are playing our usual game as opposed to a computer.

Then for fun I sent a set to my older brother as a surprise. He had sparked my interest in chess years earlier. I got an identical set for myself to make it seem more like we were playing together. I picked Zagreb pieces with finials of opposite colors for something unusual, which turned out to be helpful distinguishing bishops from pawns in the text photos. Also, I really like the knights.

Recently, I started the same with my younger brother. He wasn’t sure at first since he doesn’t play, but for these games, it’s more about the fun and keeping in touch. I don’t think ahead too deeply or have memorized openings,

6 Likes

Chinese chess is super fun! It’s really nothing like regular chess, and the pieces have more interesting movements imo.

2 Likes

Yep, Chinese chess is pretty fun, I learned to play it in a Chinese class in middle school

2 Likes

I made them when I did my furniture making class before moving onto more of the construction industry side of carpentry.

I wanted to design something a bit different with the peices but still hopefully keep them recognizable.

Here is my board and peices:

IMG_20190714_182807 IMG_20190714_182819 IMG_20190714_182850

6 Likes

I bought this xiangqi set in Beijing:

There were groups of people playing this in the streets and parks with big crowds watching and shouting advice! Great fun to watch.

5 Likes

Gee thanks guys, forget yo-yo envy now I need to go spend money on a nice chess set that I probably only like 3 people I can actually play with LOL.

3 Likes

I remember looking up nice chess sets to buy a while back then I saw the prices.

Immediate reaction: HA! NOPE! exits out of browser

1 Like

I am holding out for Dejarik

2 Likes

@andy569 Try Googling Old 1959 Russian Zagreb Chess Pieces in Lacquer Finish. The CB place I get them from has clearance pricing on items from time to time, and at the moment you can get a nice hand turned and carved Zagreb set (or several other options) with free shipping for less than a new throw.

The board will be extra, but elsewhere there’s a Professional Tournament Chess Board, No. 5 that has 2" squares (sufficient for the pieces above). I searched Etsy and found a guy that did something a little nicer, but either will do.

2 Likes

MrCheckpants

let’s play

if you dare

Been playing for 30 years.
I play every day
Dizzoballs on chess.com

1 Like

I’m gonna get rekt here.

That wooden chess set is awesome! I’ve wanted to make my own chess set for years, got the wood in a box in my closet and I had started carving the pieces but didn’t have time to finish it and haven’t gotten around to it since. But since we’re talking about epic chess sets, my dad gave me a Lord of the Rings: Return of the King chess set for Christmas back when the movie came out, and it’s absolutely awesome. I don’t really get to use it anymore though since my wife doesn’t play chess and I don’t have friends over very often.

Heres my board I play on daily. I play 3 day on chess.com, and always have my game played out live in my study.
I also have a tournament sized vintage Drueke.

6 Likes

I love this idea since I much prefer a live board!

Here is my favorite board. Travel ready!

I haven’t played much recently. Maybe I’ll make an account.

5 Likes

Wow! These abstract geometric pieces are amazing.

1 Like

Thanks. They were mostly made using a router table and various jigs and cutters. They’re made of Yew and the wood was so frustrating to work with. The grain can go in so many different directions which leads to breakouts but the wood is very pretty.

1 Like