Check out this hilariously bad News Article on Yoyos

Type 10 would make sense because it could be five strands, but since yoyo string is always doubled I don’t think odd numbers are possible unless it’s some strange terminology that I don’t understand yet.

Ivan

3 Likes

Thats correct. On the rig, a full pass goes out and back. So only half a pass to produce “odd” numbered thread counts.

Odd number thread counts are very possible. Youd be surprised at how the gauge of a string can change with even the slightest change from a full pass around the rig to a half pass.

5 Likes

I’m not understanding. How is it possible to make yoyo strings that aren’t doubled? Or are you saying that one of the strands stops at the loop end (yoyo end) of the string while the other strands double back? In that case, wouldn’t the loose end come unraveled quickly?

Ivan

4 Likes

My rig has a post on each end. I make a nor.ay pass by going from one to the other and back again. By only going out and tying off to the far post, and then twisting you can accomplish a half pass to make an odd ybread count.

Note that the count comes from the initial passes, not the fold(or doublng over, which obviously makes an even thread count appearance).

Its easier seen in action than explained in words. Learning the process was like reading Chinese, but once i started working through it, became much clearer.

4 Likes

My experience

2 Likes

Ok, I think I get it! So the cross-section of a Type 10 string, for example, is actually a total of twenty threads. Two main “bundles” of ten threads each, twisted around each other. A Type 9, if it exists, would have a cross-section of eighteen threads. (Except where the string loops around the axle, of course, in which case it consists of a single “bundle” of only ten or nine threads respectively.)

Ivan

2 Likes

On the nose.

1 Like

HAHAHAH spilled my drink.

1 Like