Check out this "ghost yoyo with floating rims"

I just found it and i wanted to share it here, it’s such a weird design.

5 Likes

I don’t understand how they raised 24 thousand British pounds with this, that’s crazy

5 Likes

This was probably the most vibey shitbox out there! They even have a video of it wobbling around😂

4 Likes

Defiantly a lot of pulse vibe in that video, I’ll have to pass on that one.

3 Likes

Does it come with a box of bandaids and finger sprints. I am sure it does.

4 Likes

I think it’s a cool concept for sure, would look wicked as a color-contrasted bimetal.

The desk stand is idiotic though IMO. It holds the yoyo in the same orientation as if it were sitting on your desk, but makes it more difficult to pick up, displays it less attractively and takes up more space than just, well, setting the yoyo on your desk.
Isn’t that defeating every common purpose of a yoyo stand?

Ivan

5 Likes

I actually thought the desk stand was quite nice. Simple and clean and seems to work well.

But golly I wonder why it vibes so much!

#doubt
If any sort of actual engineering went into this, they’d have realized that the axis of rotation doesn’t line up with the axial center of gravity. It looks like they TRIED to correct this with one side having the ‘stem’ that connects the body to the rim and the other side of the rim is weighted more, but obviously this didn’t work. I feel like two connecting stems between the body and the rim would’ve been much more stable and would give basically the same effect.

Seems like they took a Breath and somehow made it worse :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

And I just saw the titanium option. But they didn’t make any design changes to accommodate the Ti so it’s 17g heavier than the Al version. Though $83 USD for a machined Ti yoyo isn’t terrible, so there’s that.

6 Likes

The stand is a matter of personal taste for sure, I edited my previous post with an “IMO” to clarify. I do agree that the stand is clean and simple, but the sheer size of it relative to the yoyo doesn’t make sense to me. And while the stand is clean, I don’t think it displays the throw as well as something like the Doc Pop stands, which could be made to look just as elegant and be functional as well.

And I agree, two stems would have the same effect and, IMO, would look a lot better than the single-stem-and-beer-opener design that they went with. The stems could be made half as thick so the “floating ring” look wouldn’t be compromised when it was spinning.

This yoyo seems to be another child of the overpriced desk-trinket trend that seems to be floating around for the last few years. Those Foreverspin tops, that ridiculous pen, the overcomplicated circle-stencil thingy, etc. are just not my cup of tea. If I want to clutter my desk with ornamental toys, I’ll buy more nice yoyos. :grin:

Ivan

1 Like

I bought one a while back, and they’re supposed to be shipping soon. As soon as it gets here I’m gonna get good and drunk and throw it around as hard as I can.

11 Likes

I don’t know it looks pretty cool. It’s not like it’s priced ridiculously . May consider getting one .

4 Likes

Let us know how well it sparks!

Ivan

2 Likes

Are they really able to machine it in titanium for $83? That itself is pretty impressive. To be honest, if someone on this forum had made one like this (unresponsive though) I’d be tempted to buy one! Knowing that this was never designed to be a fully capable modern yoyo is going to keep me from doing anything stupid here.

Hmm, the titanium option might be cheap enough to buy and chop the rims off and put new rims on. Tho the price leads me to believe it’s a titanium alloy that is most likely very little titanium.

3 Likes

I just saved $82….

I couldn’t wait for the shipping so I just went to Dollar General and bought a Pet Rock paperweight for buck…

That might be design for you 3D printers to mess with.

PS…. Most interesting thing to me is how diametrically opposite Floating…… and vibrating ‘are’.

A designed advertised as ‘it looks like it’s floating.

….And yet it feels like it’s vibe-ing.

actions speak louder than words. Why talk a good game when the yo-yo is lame?

3 Likes

I’m sure most people that have funded this have no idea what vibe on a yoyo even means. That said, are you saying the design is fundamentally flawed? If a smooth unresponsive version can be made I’d think that would be a cool idea.

1 Like

I think it’s just supposed to look really cool while spinning - like the pieces are floating. It’s a conversation piece.

1 Like

From their kickstarter updates, they weren’t able to machine the titanium halves as one piece, so the outer rim will be a separate piece that is attached to the main body with an aluminum section. So, not really a full titanium for $83.

2 Likes

I’m sorry where the hell is this 32k coming from? Is this a money laundering scheme or something? Wow someone let yoyo manufacturers know that all they have needed to do this whole time is market as desk toys.

I’m so confused. Seems like a design made by a college student for a project or something then somehow has managed to get a ridiculous amount of funding by reaching non yoyo’ers with the whole desk toy description.

2 Likes

Ah, thank you that clarifies. You were one of the folks I was hoping would see this because you know a thing or two about yoyo design!

This design looks flat out terrible. If you hit the string anywhere other than dead center you’re going to have a bad time…

9 Likes