Cheatcode: And suddenly I'm fingerspinning

This thing may or may not have been made to fingerspin. I have yet to really get into those tricks… until now. The delrin cap magic that Vu and Pang have going on is potent as the yo literally locks onto your finger, just as advertised. The Cheatcode is also PHENOMENAL at grinds with its smooth, glossy texture.

That being said, for a relatively heavy 68g yoyo, it is quite weak when it comes to power and has average stability. The Legendary Terrarian has plenty more power even with Ultralights plugged in them. However, I quite like it overall. It’s a gimmick yoyo that plays its gimmick well without losing sight of what a good yoyo is either.

Ben’s Alphabetacular Rating: B (for Brandon Vu and Jeffrey Pang)

20 Likes

Fully appreciate the honest review.

I’m be tempted but does cheating to successfully fingerspin actually help me learn how to fingerspin properly? If I will still suck when using anything but the Cheatcode, then I’m not sure it is worth it.

8 Likes

Probably helps get more comfortable with the throw and bind parts

6 Likes

Learning how to consistently bind fingerspins seems harder for some people than just learning how to spin the yoyo on their finger, and learning how to get that whip into the gap is going to be universal across all yoyos.

Dimple yoyos like the Cheatcode also just give you more fingerspin time to figure out all of the wacky arm contortion finger spin tricks you can do. Dimple yoyos won’t help you learn to fingerspin flat cupped yoyos, but they’re useful training wheels for learning other aspects of fingerspin tricks.

I can also see their merit as just being a confidence booster. If you can DNA a Cheatcode, you’re suddenly way closer to hitting DNA on a normal yoyo.

16 Likes

I don’t mind a good gimmick. If the idea here is I can go out and when a kid yells do the DNA and I nervously attempt I’m 15% more likely to land it with the cheat code then I’m game. So they saw a problem and gave me a solution. Now they may have more meant it to get people who only know the dna into yoyo and that’s cool too but for me it’s gonna be my cheater beater when I’m out and want to impress those that don’t know anyway lol.

6 Likes

I remember my original “auto correct finger spin yoyo” - the Eternal Throw Elysian. Had a very similar deep dimple. The Skyva was another neat auto finger spin, was even able to get it to spin on a drink straw.

I’ve done it once but on something complete opposite of a dimple - landing right on spike with one of my SPYY yoyos.

2 Likes

Fingerspins started ages ago as matador style tricks anyways. Not sure if I will ever even get a fingerspin style yoyo. Reject the dimple, return to spike.

3 Likes

I love me some spikes as well…and some pull starts. Also call me old but forget the DNA…I knew it as the “Tornado bind” back when :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Call me silly but who cares what the name is or if there’s a gimmick yoyo to make a trick easy if it gets more folks into yo-yos I’m happy.

11 Likes

I’ve definitely used pull starts on both spikes and stacks for an “easy finger spin” so I can demo a DNA/Tornado bind, especially when trying to quickly explain to my coworkers or friends what a “DNA” is. I’ve even had some random guy at work come up and ask me if I could DNA - but knew nothing else of yoyos aside from the DNA trick he may have seen.

1 Like

My view from a lower skill level in left field😂>

I am not a Golfer. But…… I have Golfed on occasion with some pretty good players.

At first I was humored by the profusion of clubs and the moments the players use deciding which club to use?

That changed once I started to play. The Driver is specifically designed longer with a certain head face angle and extra shaft length to facilitate in knocking the ball as far as possible towards to hole you’re playing.

The majority of the numbered clubs are finely angled, weighted and tuned to launch the ball various distances as needed.

Sand wedge configuration is designed to help lift the ball out of a sand trap.

The putter is for green shots only……. Nothing else… unless you are a Magical Circus Clown just proving ‘it can do more’, lol.

Here is the simple parallel>

Just like golf clubs, yo-yos are or can be made for specific objectives or designed for more versatility.

That is the key departure in their intended purposes.

As already noted, golf clubs are mostly purpose specific.

Yo-yos can be more functional across the various play styles. A yo-yo designed for 1A, can be used for 5A or possibly 3A. But most likely not be used for 4A and never for 2A.

In golf, if a shot calls for a 3 iron, you are not going to reach for a 7 iron unless you are: incredible, crazy, trying to lose on purpose and just showing off.

You choose the right tool for the purpose.

The above rational was noted to clarify the following. Here we have the New CheatCode.

It can be used for 1A…… It can be used for 5A…… If your name is Superman, you could probably use it for 3A.

But just like specific golf clubs, I think the primary goal/mission was to help Nail down Finger spins. Yes…. It can do more and in the more talented hands, it can seem to have even greater versatility.

The CheatCode is, in reality, just ‘that’. It is a great yo-yo for dialing in the motions/moves to get the yo-yo spinning on your finger. I fully agree that the bind can be even more of a challenge than landing the spinning yo-yo on your fingertip. But, you can’t even practice the bind, if you can’t get the yo-yo up on your finger, lol.

It may…. Shorten the learning curve for finger spinning and learning the DNA. It won’t ‘do’ the trick for you, but will speed up the process and be less time consuming and frustrating getting the trick down consistently.

As somebody already mentioned, your new found skill may not be as successful when using other yo-yos to do DNA. But the good news is if you do learn to do DNA on a CheatCode, you already have the basic blueprint on the steps etched in your mind, which is a good thing.

To me, at 68 grams, it’s a bit heavy. I feel the weight more as overall weight and not ‘rim weight’. I don’t feel the yo-yo is real powerful or long spinning. Stability is ok but not its strongest point for sure.

Personally, I don’t consider it an EDC, unless you just love doing DNA all day, lol.

The description says that it can be used used at a competition level, but I would think any person using it in a competition would be good enough to use any number of other yo-yos he may have in his bag.

I LOVE the CheatCode. I’m using it for exactly what I need it for.

When I am stuck in the sand, I reach for the sand wedge. When I was stuck on doing the DNA, I reached for the CheatCode and got out of the Bunker.

The CheatCode is no doubt more versatile as a yo-yo than a sand wedge is as a golf club.

But the bottom line is that if you are confronting a specific task, that you reach for a specific tool designed for that task.

Its cost effectiveness may be justified very simply> the faster you can dial in finger spins and DNA, the more time you will have to move on to other tricks.

You can always make more money. But if you take forever learning DNA, you can never get that life back.

9 Likes

I think paying 65 for a fingerspin gimmick and average performing yoyo is a waste. Especially when iceberg and fire spirit exist. If anyone needs this much help to fingerspin, they shouldnt be learning fingerspins.

1 Like

As I already mentioned, the CheatCode(in my opinion) is primarily purpose specific.

It my shorten the Finger spinning/DNA time spend learning curve for ‘those people’ that may find the purchase price worth it to save them time getting the finger spinning down.

You mentioned 2 excellent yo-yos for finger spinning, no doubt. And for those blessed with short learning curves, that is wonderful. But many people my not already old either of the yo-yos you mentioned, so they are still going to have to buy something.

Like I already mentioned, you can make more money, but you can’t buy your time back.

So if a person that may take a month to wire a trick, can accomplish the same mission in a week, it may be worth every penny to them.

For you to state that the people that need ‘this much help’ to learn a trick, should not be trying to learn that trick, is dismissive at the very least. People all over the World take the challenge of learning a multitude of yo-yo tricks, regardless of difficulty. They take the challenge.

Why you would suggest people possibly having ‘this trouble learning a trick’, should not bother with it, is completely opposite of yo-yo trick learning logic.

Nobody starts throwing Superman on their first toss. And nobody that can do Superman learned in the same amount of time.

There is an old saying, ‘Anything is easy if you know how’. But likewise, if you don’t know how, you have to move forward from that point. For finger spinning, the CheatCode may be a worthwhile option.

If you can finger spin on an Iceberg, obviously that is excellent. But whatever yo-yo you can Fingerspin on. And whatever other yo-yo you may have learned to ding spin with. You didn’t wire the trick instantly.

If people faded out on every yo-yo trick they may have a lot of trouble with, there would be a whole World of One Trick Ponies in yo-yo land.

6 Likes

What are matador style tricks ?

Veeery old school tricks using the spikes in the yoyo (have a look at OD Thorn or SPYY addiction just as example) like hubstacks, basically how people used to do the DNA ages ago!

4 Likes

I like the specific tool analogy and I’m not a fan of the gate keeping of if you need this tool you shouldn’t even do it. If cheat code results in 2% more people interested in yo-yos cause it taught them to dna then that’s more market share for yoyo companies to do more cool things. I’m also a fan of gimmick yo-yos that cheat for you like clutch and rubber yo-yos. Rubber yo-yos like the Duncan first can be given to a kid and are indestructible and a cool entry way to learning how to hold a yoyo. A clutch system is used to teach the motions of throwing and catching. Things like the fizz or the sage are used for beginner tricks snd learning how to progress. Now the cheat code is for putting a toe in the proverbial waters of more advanced tricks like finger grinds and spins. Might seem silly and once someone masters it they won’t need it as much but like the golf analogy goes it’s a tool and it has a specific purpose .

I like the idea of making tricks and in general yo-yoing more accessible because it feeds back into more people interested in the hobby and more money in the hobby for retailers to do cool things with.

5 Likes

I agree with this. I also like to set up different yoyos for different purposes like I got the short string on my light yoyos for when I want to try to be speedy or the long strings w yoyos for when I want the benefits of the extra string length and I got the finger spinner for doing DNA, so the idea of different yoyos for different purposes seems good to me and I liked the golf club analogy. That’s kind of how I view my collection, none of them are interchangeable and they all are better or worse at different stuff and I should use the right tool for specific jobs or go with a multipurpose tool that’s good at everything and not too specialized.

1 Like

I agree with what you’re saying overall but i was giving an objective performance review. I think that this is a nice yoyo for those looking to get into the sport but I don’t think it has the traits necessary for a great tech player and it isn’t terribly fast (I am not a great tech player but I know enough about yoyoing to know what yoyos should be good for tech and not)

I feel I phrased that wrong, I didnt mean they should just never learn the trick, they should instead go back to some fundamentals like how to correctly throw the yoyo horizontally etc. My problem with cheatcode is it makes learning fingerspins too easy, like u can just throw the yoyo normally and put ur finger in and it will orient itself is too much help imo. It also eliminates the need of learning the soft finger technique, which is essential for longer fingerspins and all around complete mastery of fingerspins. The best yoyos to learn fingerspins r the ones with a bowl cup like horizon, flat cups r a close second.

4 Likes

Please read my reply to yoyodoc in the thread.

3 Likes