Center Track Bearings

Some bearings are variable. Thats because they were flawed. It has nothing to do with the bearing model.

after spending an hour with a center trac, i gotta say, they play horribly to me…

I will only say this once. All of you should take a little time and think about what you are saying. NO ONE KNOW’S what bearings spin longer simply because no one has scientifically tested them.

Take a breath and try to get along. That is an order!

One more outburst and I’ll lock it.

3 Likes

I wonder what it would take to get a nice controlled stress test. Don’t they sell a rig for that? I thought Kyo had one. Maybe he has some data from testing the bearings for his yoyos. I’l check with him and see if we can come up with some numbers. ^^

Until then Icky is right. Dispite them being the same bearing model there are a lot of variable factors that go into spin time from the burst of speed with small sized bearings to the endurance of large bearings… to the stuff in it, there could be microscopic bits of silicone or a proper cleaning with compressed air. Humidity, level flooring, throw strength. Lots and lots of variables.

My apologies to everyone if I seemed as though I was insulting or discluding your opinion. Your word means just as much as the rest of us. I simply do not wish you to feel like there is a gigantic difference so you need to run out and buy a type of bearing for maximum performance. Just try them and find out what you like feel-wise as people have previously said.

1 Like

Yep, some are variable. Probably most are.

I hope this doesn’t count as an out burst, sorry if it does; but if bearings are bearings, then yoyos are yoyos. All yoyos are the same. Someone with skills have no preferences. They have skills, so they can do good with any yoyo. They are all the same, and none are different. Some may be variable, but that is because they are flawed. It has nothing to do with the yoyo model.

p.s. CT don’t spin longer.

EDIT:

Totally agree with that post. Thank you.

However the closeness of the track to the balls or the shields themselves may give a different sound or feel to them, which is generally where preference comes into play. Not spin time or anything like that. Those kind of things are a trial and error. Nobody will know exactly that is for them until they try it. Think of it as fitting yourself for sunglasses. They all block out the sun but other ones fit peoples ears nicer or just feel better. Thats where subjectivity comes into play.

Personally Ive had terrible noise problems with any bearing used on certain yoyos but all of my bearings sing on my Dv888. :3

1 Like

Yes, Kyo did some testing a couple of years ago and basically found no difference in all the bearings he tested. He posted his results on one of the forums. Related to this, a couple of people did some double blind testing at I think BAC a few years back too. They used the same model yoyo w/a stock YYJ bearing, a KK, and a couple of other bearings that were touted as very good, quality bearings. People were asked to throw each yoyo and decide what the bearing was. No one could tell what bearing was in what yoyo. They all played basically the same.

Thanks for the results jhb. Mind if I quote you in my notes? :slight_smile:

I’m in plausible deniability. :wink:

Atomic Cow and I ran that test. The test was between a stock YYJ bearing and a stainless steel ABEC 5 bearing that was being sold by another retailer at the time.

So still nothing about a CenterTrac? What about the Old and New Crucial Groove Bearings?

Since Centertrack is a grooved SPEC bearing I believe that any controlled test with a SPEC should result in the same numbers but I’m not stating this as fact. I’ll ask Kyo when next he is on which bearings he tested. He is very thorough.

I agree, I am curious though, you always hear about sonic blasted/dried bearings I wonder if that has anything to do with the process of them manufacturing the CenterTracs. Regardless of how minuscule the increase in performance is, I think it would be good for the community to know, a finite answer to the questions SO MANY ask. Wouldn’t it be weird if Flat bearings that come prelubed were more efficient than completely dry bearings?

What do you mean by efficient? I’m going to say that the bearings come lubed as a way to make people buy CT but YYF isnt crooked so Im sure there is some legal reason why their SPEC shipped throws come lubed.

Im sure that dry bearings will outspin lubed ones if they are not already worn down. If you get a new bearing and clean it it will spin longer than a lubed bearing of the same type, but there is always the factor of a bearing wearing on itself and losing its luster if you know what I mean.

I suppose there is some sort of a graph where after a point lubed bearings become more efficient than dry ones. Other than the noise of course. That would be interesting to see in a plotted graph.

Thanks, Nathan. I knew AC was involved, but the rest of the details were obviously fuzzy. My memory is fading. Dot Ventures

Mi - now you have the straight facts.

Thanks Jhb.

A lot of the names and processes are just hype monsters. A way for you to want their bearing more. I can clean any bearing just as good as any other method out there. I have air and that is all that is needed to completely clean a bearing. The more you clean it in a fresh solvent, the more junk you get out and with blasting it with compressed air asures you are getting more out than just the normal cleaning. So sonic blah blah blah is what I say. :smiley:

Same thing with Candy Blasts. It’s just a name they made to make it sound better than a bead blast. There are some differences of course, but it is essentially the same thing.

1 Like

I would buy a bearing if it was candy anything’d.

Not really. Considering I have my own blasting cabinet and use it with different stuff I can say that it’s the material we use that gets a certain surface. Soda Blast is WAY different than a Candy Blast that is WAY different than a bead blast.

1 Like