Carbon Fiber yoyo?

What do you think of this idea? How much would a CFRP yoyo weigh? How would it play?

There was a carbon fiber yoyo before, and it was one of the worst pieces of crap ever made.

found the link

carbon fiber will not work with yoyos…

My DM2 prototype seems to have carbon fiber in between the plastic and metal. I’ll try to take a pic when I get home

Makes a decent response pad :stuck_out_tongue:

http://www.yoyomuseum.com/museum_view.php?action=view&subaction=exhibit&exhibitid=1980

That’s odd. I have two of them and they don’t.

Looks like carbon fiber

I feel as though carbon fiber could work for a yoyo, you just need the right person to make it. I mean if you look at carbon fiber cars, wheels, and other items I am sure a yoyo would be a simple process. A yoyo shop messing around with it might not produce the best product, but if only we could get Ferrari or Lamborghini to make the yoyo for us…

Buzzon?

Welcome to the first ever 6 digit priced yoyo…

Although, this could make some crazy weight distributions with metal weight rings. Have you ever held a piece of the stuff? So light!

Yes I have haha, it is very light indeed, which is the main reason it is used for car parts.

There were a few of them made by notable designers and non of them were anything to write home about. I know the yoyo museum item noted above says there was only one. I believe that is the only one that was commercially available.

Has there ever been a (decent) yo-yo made with carbon fiber?

Yes, that sure does. It looks to be just eye candy rather than an integral structural member. YYJ made a number of models that used it as trim or caps. Both of mine are opaque.

Paul Yath used to make some carbon fiber pads.
Just got an eetsit recently which came with one and a white pad that I’m not positive what it is, feels like a baz pad but a little grippier. Maybe an earlier yyf silicone pad or something. It’s a great setup! The carbon fiber sticker adds just enough response. Very unresponsive alone.
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p626/colbybradshaw/photo_zps3m5xhkpj.jpg

Haha, I know that Eesit you’re talking about! :wink: When I dug that out in my return to activity, it had that carbon fiber on one side and some worn out blue rubber thing on the other side. The cardon fiber looked good, so I left it in. That’s a 21mm OD YYF (Central Bearing) pad that I added to the other side. It does play nice like that!

1 Like

I was actually thinking about a carbon fiber yoyo with metal rings, kinda like a DM.

Thank you again :smiley:
Probably an ‘Any pad’, which used to be my favorite pad that I totally forgot about until now ;D
The adhesive on them was kinda garbage but I really like the way they played. Pad response is fun.

1 Like

Carbon bodies with metal rings have been done, most notably by S.kon from Japan, he did a couple different versions for the world mod contest over the years. They work really well, but they’re very difficult to get right on any kind of scale.

Carbon pads were developed by Paul Yath but produced by a large yoyo retailer at the time. I worked there at the time… I can’t even imagine how many thousands we made. Unfortunately the manufacturer of that material went out of business. In the year or so after I accumulated 90-100 samples from other sources trying to find a similar product with no luck… none of them worked as well as the original.

Luckily, those original pads last basically forever… so there are probably quite a few still out there somewhere :slight_smile:

Kyle

Shinobu is Completely outside the box.

Here is a link to some of his Outstanding creations… Including a seriously slick looking Carbon cloth Yoyo.

Consider that not only are his yo-yos amazing looking in the images but in person the fit and finish of his stuff is second to none.

Shinobu Konmoto (@yoyomodder_skon) • Instagram photos and videos

3 Likes