Can you use yyf pads on an edgeless?

just wondering, I don’t know what pads to put on there, but I came so unresponsive it was hard to bind, which made it hard to throw too, not enough friction. I put red yyf in there but now it’s too snappy.

Do I need snowtires or something? IDK advice appreciated.

2 Likes

yye has done a great job of giving most of the info you need on the page for each yoyo… go to the edgeless yoyo and scroll down to ‘response’ it will tell you what you need… being a yyf yoyo, look up the corresponding pads from there :wink:

8 Likes

Hi,

According to the Edgeless product page on YoYo Expert, this yoyo uses 19mm slim pads (which seems to be to be the industry standard).

Since the YYF Red pads are called their competition pads, maybe your Edgeless is too responsive because the pads haven’t yet broken in. The description states they break in quickly to the sweet spot, but, wear out quickly as well.

3 Likes

Looked on their (yoyofatory) website… Found nothing. I think they make the edgless in conjunction with caribou lodge and bass camp, hence snow tires as a guess.

but they might fit with yyf response pads too, which is my question. I’d like to put some blue ones in there.

Now that I look, I can’t find the edgeless on any of those sites. It appears to only be sold here at yoyo expert… weird

As noted above…
From the edgeless product page under specs, it sez…
Response: 19mm Slim Pad Size

Most any 19 mm slim pad will fit.

:upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I put YYF blues in mine and it now responds better than the stock pads, but isn’t too snappy. So to answer your question, yes, blue pads will fit.

1 Like

It takes YoYoFactory pads.

3 Likes

Well, since I’m obviously surrounded by yoyo scientists; that get smart all of a sudden and seem to know more about the art of tuning yoyos. I have retracted my pointless information and let you rely on simple process of elimination you have learned long ago.

And just wonder why people even bother to ask questions that they can already answer.

Doh!

6 Likes

this is exactly what I was looking for, thankx

1 Like

Doc, thanks for that lesson in how to tune your response.

Very interesting and educational.

3 Likes

Doc’s lesson can be extrapolated to how to address any problem, be it response, a light not turning on, making a bad cup of coffee. Change one thing at a time, test it and either be satisfied or change something else. I’m lucky, my dad was a mechanic and he taught me this a long, long time ago. He fixed everything in the house that broke. Part of it was because he liked fixing things, most of it was because it was less expensive to buy repair parts and figure out the dryer or blender or stove than to buy a new one.

3 Likes

i prefer a fairly consistent response - in general - across my throws. the first thing i do when i get a new or used throw is put a brand new string of my preferred brand on. i find this to be (arguably) the cheapest and easiest way to find and eliminate simple response problems - and find consistency - straight out the gate. next would be response work, and last would be the bearing… this is all obviously dependent on condition. but, a new string of your preferred type can work wonders on a new throw

4 Likes

So… has anyone found their edgless to be too unresponsive out of the box?

@yoyodoc
Not responsive at all, put Evan’s string in there (thicker than given string)

Still not response switch the break pads to the red pads

Finally responsive but too responsive and suddenly wondering what company response pads I need to put in the yoyo.

Sorry doc I DID use the process of elimination. It’s the simple scientific method we all learned years ago. You know with dependent and independent variables,

we don’t know Evan’s intentions in making this yoyo. Perhaps he wanted to practice wild binds with the O shape.

4 people working on a yoyo vs 1 person. That illustrates the phenomenon of social striving and social loafing. who’s to say one is better than the other?

If you aren’t able to get this yoyo to perform the way you want it, why not just sell it and find another yoyo no one has complained about and see if that one meets your standard?

Yoyos aren’t nuclear reactors, they are actually pretty simple. Bearing, response and string. I feel for your situation, but, I have to say, I’ve never had a yoyo that refused to react to slight adjustments to bearing, response pad, or string. Yes, I have had yoyos that I didn’t like the way they played, that isn’t the fault of the yoyo or its manufacturer. After I spent some time adjusting, I just accepted that I’m not going to love every yoyo and moved on.

1 Like

Not true, i have mentioned it before, and i think several other people have agreed that it is a bit slippy. I have been able to tune it to my liking, but out of the box i was missing binds that should have been successful.

3 Likes

The green pads are great in the edgeless. They are taller and should have been stock

2 Likes

This is too true. It’s so slippy out of the box that you can’t get it to bind tight enough to throw sometimes.

1 Like

I agree, like my downbeat is too heavy. I made the mistake of buying it before I could realize the role weight was in play. I’ll sell it eventually. Finding the right yoyo takes time. I wish I could go to the yyfactory store and try out all the different throws.

3 Likes

mine weren’t green, may have been white for aesthetic purposes, I had the silver and purple design. I’m trying to order in some blue pads for it.