Can Peak 2 replace Peak?

I want to get the original Peak but it’s too expensive. How is Peak 2 different from the original? and Do they play differently?

1 Like

It really depends on what you’re wanting out of it. I think the Peak surge within the last couple of years is more out of a desire to have a nostalgic experience. There are plenty of other organic yoyos, including the Peak 2, that will perform better (longer spin time, more stable, easier to control) while still giving the floaty feel that most are seeking with this type of yoyo. If you have played a Peak in the past and are looking specifically for that experience, then you will probably be disappointed playing the Peak 2. Otherwise, the Peak 2 is a fine organic yoyo that has some of the same aesthetic features as the original, but, in my opinion, feels a lot different.

For me personally, I sold my Peak 2 because it felt a little bit lifeless. There are plenty of other organic yoyos that I would rather play. Also to note, though they are very similarly shaped, I found I liked the titanium Peak a lot more than the aluminum Peak 2.

7 Likes

Maybe we should start a “Will there be another Peak run” thread like the Top Deck one. Definitely seems to be a lot interest.

3 Likes

I’ve never played the original, but I’m interested in the nostalgia of that time.
Maybe people will tell me to buy OG Peak :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, I would say go ahead and do it! It should at least hold its value or even appreciate some. Peak 2 is an okay experience but just didn’t stand out enough to keep in my collection.

Simple answer is - no, it cannot. If you want an original Peak, save some thick stack of money and try to find one.

I have both, they may look similar, but they are different. Different shapes, weights, overall feels, you name it. Find someone with original Peak and try it first, it will help you decide do you really want it or not. Peaks are not great performers, but many yoyo enthusiasts have good memories tied to these yoyos, and to early CLYW yoyos in general, that is the reason why people want to get these little pieces of yoyo history.

2 Likes

Until a few years ago, there was good condition Peak trading below $200.
Right now… : (

1 Like

The Peak 2 is the only CLYW yoyo I have left in my collection, I sold the rest off over the years. It’s a good yoyo! Took me a while to warm up to it though, and a fresh silicone job. I’ve thrown an og peak approximately once (2nd run), and I feel that the peak 2 is the successor to the peak, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it can replace it. They don’t play that similar at all. The og peak’s higher walls make it not the best performer, I would honestly say if you don’t have some attachment to the og peak you might be better off hunting down a similar yoyo from that time period, as you’ll find they’re… much cheaper.

How much do you think I should use to get any Peak in decent condition?

1 Like

Just my personal opinion but I thought the creep was a better successor to the peak than the peak 2.

9 Likes

Imo if you are a thrower, you’ll enjoy Peak2 more since it has longer spin time, better performance. But if you are into collecting and enjoy older throw, Peak1 is the best option. I tried Peak1, used to have Peak2 and also currently owning TiPeak. In comparing the specs and design, TiPeak is close to Peak1, but it’s redesign to be better daily throwers than Peak1 (different weight distribution, a little change in gap, different feels due to material)

3 Likes

Definitely agree, creep had the same frustratingly unstable quality that the peak and by extension early organics had. The peak 2 feels like the natural progression for the peak after nearly two decades of yoyo design experiments, albeit it does come out floater and more stable than the og. The ti peak has the same feeling of density, but again the design accumen make it to feel more stable.

I’m glad they didn’t do a direct rerelease of this specific throw, I’d rather play with the peak 2 any day.

3 Likes

The Peak is probably my favorite yoyo of all time. BUT, I will say this… if you weren’t around anytime pre-2012ish it’s hard to imagine the Peak is a yoyo you’ll really enjoy. And I know that sounds really… gatekeepy? Idk… but I promise it’s literally just an honest warning lmao… I will fully admit a huge part of my love for this throw comes from nostalgia/literally growing up with The Peak/yoyos like it. It was the yoyo I tried and loved at contests and wanted so bad but could never afford it when I was a kid. I love everything about it personally, and wouldn’t change a damn thing about it - to me it’s perfection and the absolute perfect representation of throws from this era. BUT yoyo design has obviously moved forward since then, and if you are used to comp oriented/high performance throws you’ll probably think it’s not super great/or just another yoyo. We can use the “classic car” analogy - of course the cars that they make now are better/get better MPG/etc… but we can still appreciate the classic car for what it is and just being overall pretty bitchin, despite it no longer being “the best car you can buy” I guess.

The Peak 2 is undoubtedly a “better” performing yoyo. But I can say with 100% certainty and confidence that it really doesn’t feel like a Peak. It lacks some of the fundamental aspects that I feel truly make the Peak, the Peak. Without the high walls and the heft of the OG, it just feels totally different. It spins and plays faster, and you don’t have to hit tricks as clean because of the lowered walls. The rims aren’t as thick and there’s no IRG (although I think about 2 people care about that nowadays lol). You can definitely tell it’s based off the Peak, but it simply just plays nothing like one. As others have said, I think the Creep is actually definitely closer to the Peak in a lot of ways. But even the Creep still doesn’t get totally there… I would love to get my hands on a Peak I could EDC/not give a damn about taking out, but like you said… they’re getting up there in price now. Even finding one that’s been well loved/has some damage for less than 5 hundo is a challenge - which is nuts to me cause I paid $275 for my practically mint Alex Berenguel back in 2021.

I know it’s only been talked about and that’s about it, but I’m excited to see what the Peak 3 will bring (and I’m hoping that’s still a thing)… @unklesteve last said Chris was down but is understandably a very busy dude.

And there’s also the Plastic Peak coming soon too, so some exciting Peak related things are in the works, which is awesome.

Figured I’d also snap some quick comparison shots for you of the Peak/Peak 2 in case anyone was curious to see how they compare:

11 Likes

This, exactly my thoughts. And i have exactly same peaks on my display shelf :smiley:

4 Likes

The Peak 2 is fantastic in its own ways, but I found that it didn’t really play like a Peak. If you’re looking for a yo-yo that feels like the Peak without breaking the bank, the ILYY Liopleurodon actually plays incredibly similar.

4 Likes

I’m a fan of Peak 2 as it leans more mid-size, where Creep is bigger, but both are not as dense as a Peak and tend to float. A recent release that plays closer to a Peak and can still be found new in the online yoyo shops is the General-Yo Essence , it has that presence to it on the sting and they are around $70 for the 2020 version, a lot of people slept on this newer released yoyo.

4 Likes

Peak 2 cannot replace the original Peak.

1 Like

The lynx is even closer in feel. At least the original is

5 Likes

If you don’t have any nostalgia about peaks and are just looking for a good overall organic performer, It’s my opinion that the Markmont Classic beats any era peak in every aspect of performance. IMO Even the Jake Bullock Dunk beats the Peak 2 at half the cost. I will say this though, the Peak 2 has some incredible looking colorways.

1 Like

I don’t think any iteration of future Peaks could replace the original. Even the poor quality machining couldn’t be replicated (or at least shouldn’t). I started throwing when you could still buy Peaks from online stores and they do have that nostalgic feel to for me. I love the Peak and the Peak 2, but they are very different yoyos in their own right.

I am really looking forward to the Plastic Peak and what’s this I hear of a Peak 3?

11 Likes