Can Peak 2 replace Peak?

It would be really great if Chris and Steve just tweaked the original Peak CAD, such as add snow tires, fine tune the axel so it fit well and then left everything else alone and released a run of them. Even if it was just a single run that’d be a great release. Even sell them as a preorder if they’d be worried about not selling enough of a decade plus old design.

7 Likes

I would pick any Peak and be happy about it, I’m not that picky.
But puns aside, any Peak seems inaccessible for me, I haven’t even met someone who owns one.

Tweaked it for 7075 AL, instead of the response bump they did with the Peak 2, they could do the schmoove ring like the Beater, and it would be phenomenal.

7 Likes

This is a great way to describe it. Also, Peak 2s feel like they’ve been improved too much. Peaks, by modern standards, aren’t very good players, which is part of the charm for many, I believe. If you’re looking at the Peak in terms of performance, you’re going to be disappointed.

I find myself reaching for my Peaks more often than my Peak 2 or Ti Peak, anyways.

1 Like

Honorable mention to the ATDesignLab MoNo. Plays very similar to the Peak, even more so than the Peak 2. These can be found for a reasonable price on the BST.

4 Likes

Absolutely 100% this. Would be so so so banger, I had the exact same thought. :fire::fire::fire: @unklesteve @caribouchris

2 Likes

Stuff like this is always so interesting to me. Yoyo players are such strange, strange creatures. We all demand the next thing, the newest thing, but at the same time we don’t really want anything to change. We just want a steady stream of Greatest Hits™ served up in new colors, more or less?

CLYW will never outrun the Peak, no matter how much better Chris gets at designing yoyos. It’s arguably the worst thing he’s ever made and yet, somehow, it’s also considered the best because it will never actually be judged by modern standards in any meaningful way. It exists outside of time, somehow.

Amazing.

I rattled off my requests for the Peak 3, but I don’t know if Chris has had the time or inclination to tackle it yet. It’s daunting to be handed a sacred cow and be expected to return a gourmet meal, after all ha ha.

My request to Chris was to make the diameter, width, profile, and cup design identical. Keep the high walls mostly, but give it the response area from the Beater and fix the weight distribution a little to make it less “rock on a string” feeling. Chris thought that sounded pretty amazing and reading through this thread it seems like at least a couple of other people had the same thought ha ha. So I can relinquish my imposter syndrome on this one a little and know that at least a few of them will sell. Yay!

Someone earlier said the Peak 2 seemed like we fixed it too much and you might be right on that. I was personally really happy with the Peak 2 because I loved the shape of the original Peak and couldn’t stand the way it played. Remember, I was coming to CLYW from a much different angle than most people at the time…Chris designed the Peak to fill a gap in the market for a yoyo that he wanted to play with, and me? I’d already done that, a few times over, and had all the yoyos I needed. For Chris and many others the Peak was a revelation, but for me it was just a very pretty painted yoyo. So when I joined CLYW and started making changes to the product line, I didn’t have the same veil of nostalgia that everyone else did. I just knew “Peak is well liked, we should fix it and release a new one” and while it didn’t fill that same nostalgia-shaped hole in anyones heart it’s worth noting that it’s still one of our best-selling models of all time.

Took me a while to understand what people loved about the original, but I think I have a good grip on it now. The Plastic Peak we’re releasing with Jeff is amazing, and I think fans of the original are gonna be blown away. The Peak 3, once Chris settles into it, will not disappoint. I’m a slow learner sometimes, but I get there eventually. Thanks for being patient with me while I figured this out.

23 Likes

Do you think we could get a sneak peak at the plastic peak or maybe an ETA cause I’d really be interested in getting one.

1 Like

Last I talked to Jeff about it they were in production! I believe we’ll see that at Worlds, if not sooner.

9 Likes

Nice, and thank you for the quick response!

This thread just makes me feel good.

I’ve played a Maple Drip Peak and a few Peak 2.

I’ve played a ton of throws that people have recommended I get to get that feel of our beloved Peak.

For me, it’s the Onedrop Overture. Are the specs the same? Nope. Does it float? Yep. Can I feel CLYW soul within it? Yep.

It’s the yellow and pink one pictured. Next to it is the General yo Essence which was mentioned above. The Essence has similar specs, and is a great yoyo, it just doesn’t have the float that the Peak and Overture have.

And yeah yeah, I know, using terms like float and soul are about as helpful to someone who hasn’t tried a Peak as just saying “it slays.”

3 Likes

I really wish this colorway would show up on the peak 3. It’s been my favorite… well only peak. but still my favorite.

4 Likes

Nothing will ever replace the peak…. As it’s been said, it’s all about nostalgia. Most of us either learned on the peak or drooled over pics of the peak in our younger years!

Does it play well…. Not really. :joy: The peak 2 is definitely the better player, but it’s not a PEAK.

The peak will always be my favorite yo-yo and holds a special place in my collection. So im really excited for the plastic peak and peak 3!!

3 Likes

I’ve had MoNo. The experience has increased interest in Peak.

1 Like