Cal States: What to Bring

Hey,
I am going to Cal States in March. Its my first competition, so I have no clue what bring. I know I have bring some money, but I am not sure what else. Should I bring my entire collection in a case, or just a few in my pocket? Should I book the hotel, or get up early? IDK.

Please Help, 

Jack

Definitely bring a Case.
Book a hotel it’s very better then standing there.
Plus you won’t have to wait too long and you’ll be guaranteed a room.

There is a hotel next to the mall. Serious. That would be where to stay if you could. Holiday Inn. But where do you live? There’s parking UNDER the mall, 2 levels. In and out all you want. Do some other shopping and get your parking validated. You might be looking at minimal or non-existant parking fees.

As far as what to bring, I would say a backpack with lots of compartments and/or pockets. Carrying around a case in your hand gets old real fast. A backpack can at least let you go hands free, which will offset having to carry it around.

There’s plenty of places to eat upstairs and across from the stage area. There are stairs nearby and an elevator. There’s also a Starbucks on the ground level and some nearby candy stores for a quick boost of energy.

I’m bringing the sound system for the event. I’m traveling LOADED. Keep in mind I also live like 20 minutes away and won’t even be bringing out all my gear.

1 Like

Well I live about two hours away, hotels are expensive, so I think I’ll drive. More money for yoyos. So I’ve gathered: Bring a case in a backpack, cash, and myself. About right?

Where you coming from? If you’re coming from the Bay Area, San Jose, Silicon Valley area, yeah, if you can do it, leave to get there before 9:30. Traffic should be smooth heading out.

There’s a local musician/art shop upstairs in the mall I think called Zug Life or somehting like that. Check it out. Cool folks. It’s their stage we’re using anyways. And, it’s not too far from the Windy City Kite Shop, which is probably the only local place that carries yoyos. It’s a few blocks walk to the Old Sacramento area. If you head that way, also check out Stage 9 and G Willakers. A friend of mind owns the latter 2 stores and often has some neat stuff.

Well it depends, I bring my case that holds 12 inside and leave the case with 21 in my car/hotel depending on the contest. But then I can go out and switch out yoyos from big case and not have to lug that thing around. By the way my 12 yoyo case is a backpack, soft, light case. Also I would definitly book a hotel. It will be easier, and improve the whole contest experience. I say it improves because after, you really need time to relax and before. I have experience whaen I say that. Normally when I go to a contest, there is so few hours there, that I can’t stop talking, yoyoing, etc. SO I don’t eat 1 thing all day. This makes me feel extremely lightheaded, with a horrible headache, and just achey all over at the end of the day. ANd that make s for a horrible(usually 2+ hour) drive home.

Could be worse. Drive for 2 hours to get to a venue at 6AM. Move 2 tons of year(well, give or take 800 pounds OVER the 4000 pounds), work one’s butt off all day with no breaks, do a 2 hour show at 8PM, done at 10:15, break-down starts at 10:45, takes 4 hours to strike, pack and load-out, and then at 3AM or so, 2 hour drive back home…

Now, onto CalStates: There’s two entrances to one of the two parking lots nearby. There’ the elevator and then there’s the escalator. These are literally right off the area where the stage will be. If you’re facing the stage, they’ll be to your right. Very convenient.

Of course, if you book at the Holiday Inn, you’re right next to the venue anyways.

I’m going to just restrict myself to what I can put in my YYE medium bag and in my pockets. I’ll be too busy handling audio most of the day to concern myself with anything past that.